1.5 TSI booked in for timing belt replacement

That's my 2020 1.5 TSI booked in for the timing belt replacement.

£920 at Henry's Skoda Glasgow if anyone is wondering about the cost.

Car is on 109k but it's a taxi so I'm not waiting until 140k even though the service bloke said they've never heard of any snapping prematurely.

Good, makes sense.

What has the 140,000 miles to do with things though? 

That is not a mileage Skoda changed to last July when they changed their Advice, Recommendation or Guidelines. 

The guy on the service desk might not have heard of issues with tensioners either.   

We do not know him or who he listens to, or how closely he follows stuff in the VW Group or outwith his work place. 

17 minutes ago, Rooted said:

The guy on the service desk might not have heard of issues with tensioners either.  

Not VAG but... when I had the timing belt replaced on a Vauxhall 1.6 16V engine the dealer didn't replace the tensioner. One week later the tensioner failed causing the timing to massively change and 12 valves hit the pistons requiring a new head, 16 new valves and 4 new pistons - glad I had taken out an extended Vauxhall warranty.

• Like 1

£920 is an OK price on a 1.5 TSI ACT for the time / labour and Original Parts used and 2 year warranty including labour when at an Approved Repairer.

(That does not include a water pump.)

Cheaper prices elsewhere might not be OEM parts or places quoting on a 1.5 TSI ACT and just on a 1.5 TSI. 

Some might not only not have 'All the gear' but also 'No idea'. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

£920 is an OK price on a 1.5 TSI ACT for the time / labour and Original Parts used and 2 year warranty including labour when at an Approved Repairer.

(That does not include a water pump.)

Cheaper prices elsewhere might not be OEM parts or places quoting on a 1.5 TSI ACT and just on a 1.5 TSI. 

Some might not only not have 'All the gear' but also 'No idea'. 

Exactly. Hence why I have just bitten the bullet and went to the dealer. Peace of mind with the warranty. There was a couple of other places offering it for between £650 and £850 and I was tempted but at least with Skoda there will be comeback and capacity to repair any damage and they will use the correct OEM parts.

I will also be making sure the complete kit is fitted including all tensioners.

• Like 3

Edit - Ignore my post folks, saw the post above by ‘Rooted’ that answers my question. Thanks a ton! 🙂

Earlier post:
FYI folks, I have just been told by my Skoda dealer in the UK that the 5 year replacement guidance for the timing belt has changed now and it’s now just on a mileage of 120,000 miles. Is this the general advice from all dealers?

Edited by Grc