USB-c and iPhone

Hi All. 
I have wireless car play and it’s great.  I play music with Spotify.  When I plug my phone in to one of the 2 USB-c socket the phone starts to charge - but music pauses. Hit play - it plays for a second or two - and pauses again. Disconnect cable - all is well. 🤷‍♂️

Try a different cable. Apple stuff is notoriously picky. Copied this from a Google search for Car Play via wired connection.

Connect iPhone to CarPlay
  • Start your car, then make sure Siri is on.
  • Connect your iPhone to your car: If your car supports CarPlay with a USB cable: Plug your iPhone into the USB port in your car. The USB port might be labelled with a CarPlay icon or a smartphone icon. Be sure to use an Apple USB Cable.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jimcallaghan said:

Hi All. 
I have wireless car play and it’s great.  I play music with Spotify.  When I plug my phone in to one of the 2 USB-c socket the phone starts to charge - but music pauses. Hit play - it plays for a second or two - and pauses again. Disconnect cable - all is well. 🤷‍♂️

Hey, I had a similar issue with a genuine iPhone cable. Unplugging and replugging it a couple of times solved it, and I haven't had the problem ever since. Lol, I know it's a weird fix, but hey, it works

I'm going to guess that it may be getting confused .

If you plug the phone in *before* starting the car and before wireless Carplay has a chance to kick in then does it behave normally?

If the problem is only occurring when you connect the phone to the cable after starting the car and its connected  via Wireless Carplay then try using a Cigarette lighter adaptor to charge rather than the built in USB sockets.

It may help :)

1 hour ago, Winston_Woof said:

If you plug the phone in *before* starting the car and before wireless Carplay has a chance to kick in then does it behave normally?

If the problem is only occurring when you connect the phone to the cable after starting the car and its connected  via Wireless Carplay then try using a Cigarette lighter adaptor to charge rather than the built in USB sockets.

What lighter socket? It doesn't have one. USB-C sockets only.

17 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Is there only a 12v socket in the boot, none in the cabin?

25 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

Is there only a 12v socket in the boot, none in the cabin?

Correct. A 💩 idea. I nearly cancelled the order over it, but I didn't as I love RSs. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

well that sucks . Still Car manufacturers removing such a commonly used thing is only like Apple removing the headphone jack I suppose

I have this bug as well. Solution is to be fast and plug iphone before infotainment boots then carplay goes through cable or just hit play repeatedly many times till it plays 😄

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

Correct. A 💩 idea. I nearly cancelled the order over it, but I didn't as I love RSs. 

be a problem for me because i have a multiple socket extension that plugs into the 12v socket with 4  usb adaptor plugs in it.

For satnav,dashcam and two e-cigs 😂

19 hours ago, jimcallaghan said:

Hi All. 

If you mainly use the cable

Screenshot2024-03-30at12-55-45StopiPhonefromautomaticallyconnecting-AppleCommunity.png.e201855485924ea66bf8545b5c55ba18.png

On 30/03/2024 at 08:58, Winston_Woof said:

Thank you. 
im a victim of the ‘let’s not give them a cigarette lighter’ boardroom decision so its all USB-C but you’re right about the timing.  Plugged in before firing up the car does the trick.  Still annoying but that seems to sort it. 

for those wondering about the cable - _100% genuine apple item.  Cheers. 

On 30/03/2024 at 09:23, Stonekeeper said:

My guess:

Have you tried both usb ports.

It maybe the phone trying to connect for data via cable in a charge  only usb port?

Both front ones behave the same. Rear ones that are charge only are fine. 

Just now, jimcallaghan said:

Both front ones behave the same. Rear ones that are charge only are fine. 

So it does sound like the phone trying to connect twice is causing the problem.

It connects wirelessly from memory settings in it's wireless networks before you have time to plug it in.

38 minutes ago, jimcallaghan said:

Thank you. 
im a victim of the ‘let’s not give them a cigarette lighter’ boardroom decision so its all USB-C but you’re right about the timing.  Plugged in before firing up the car does the trick.  Still annoying but that seems to sort it. 

for those wondering about the cable - _100% genuine apple item.  Cheers. 

the other option is to get a Wireless charging cradle (connected to t one of the USBCs)  so that you never get a conflict between the wireless Apple Carplay and it being wired connection for charging.

options options :)