Changing brake pads yourself

Hi all. I'm considering having a go at changing the brake pads myself on my 2021 1.5 TSI petrol octavia. They have had a squeeling sound since the beginning (45k km now), and I'm getting quite sick of it. But not willing on paying extortionate garages in my area to change them, as I've heard it's a doable job if you take your time.

How hard is it? With no experience and just learning on the go from youtube vids. I have a lot of tools so that won't be problem. I'm also willing on just purchasing whatever tools I need.

Are there any things I need to pay specific attention to?

4 hours ago, PilsnerUrquel said:

Hi all. I'm considering having a go at changing the brake pads myself on my 2021 1.5 TSI petrol octavia. They have had a squeeling sound since the beginning (45k km now), and I'm getting quite sick of it. But not willing on paying extortionate garages in my area to change them, as I've heard it's a doable job if you take your time.

How hard is it? With no experience and just learning on the go from youtube vids. I have a lot of tools so that won't be problem. I'm also willing on just purchasing whatever tools I need.

Are there any things I need to pay specific attention to?

Changing the pads is a easy job, make sure you have the car on axel stands (don't just do it on the Jack) but make sure you have all the tools ready (even if you have to have a check before starting the job) get some "copper slip" grease  for the back and the edges of the pads (this stops the squealing) and you will need a tool for pushing the pistons back in (to fit the new pads) and you will need a tool to push back the electrically operated piston on the back.

One other thing to look at is the Discs to see it they are worn or deeply grooved, if so you will need new discs.

You also mention about the pads the best place to find the correct pads is try Euro Car Parts and put your reg in and should give you the right pads 

Phone them (or another motor factor) with the vehicle VIN ready to quote.

The info they can find with VIN is better than the website search by reg number.

21 minutes ago, PilsnerUrquel said:

I tried Euro Car Parts but the search results show brake pads of differing sizes. So how do I go about finding out the brake pad sizes I need?

You cannot say a size as I guess there is different ones for the different models (and different carriers) As Pete says make some calls with Vin number, Or what I do is go to TPS   

If I can add a few more points 

1) Take a wheel off, measure the disc diameter and look at the pad shape. Often there are a few variants of brakes for a vehicle. Looking at the ped specs you can confirm diameter match and recognise the pad shape and any side ears flanges on the pads.

2) Front Pads you just need to push the piston back, but the rears you need to wind clockwise as they get pushed back. You need a tool for this. I have a cheap set that I've used on many vehicles e.g. https://amzn.eu/d/b0HdhL8

3) Push the caliper piston back and fluid will rise and probably Overflow from the master cylinder reservoir. So you take off the reservoir lid, watch the level and suck out with a syringe some to stop overflow.

4) Buy a little tube of brake grease. Then when you've opened the caliper and cleaned it (wire brush) you smear a little on the sliding part, obviously not the disc/pad surfaces.

Some calipers you even replace other hardware.

4) you need a 7mm Allenkey socket, not always in socket sets 

5) a torque wrench is useful to know you tightened back correctly 

6) have some new brake fluid just top back up the reservoir once all done and pedal pressed to seat the new pads.

Is there nobody you know that has done this who can help you ?   It's really not hard but if you've never done it before then it's helps to have a knowing friend.

If you lived near me I'd help you for example.

At the very least watch some YouTube videos and digest what they're doing  Ideally one on your vehicle and caliper type

Very well detailed already. Not complex but depending on your hardware it will be more or less time consuming.

From my side, make sure that you have VCDS or OBDEleven to release EPB. There are some videos detailing the change without releasing it but way better and faster via tool.

And I would recommend you Liqui Molly 3077 as brake paste, top notch.