Oil leak

Kirky

Hi everyone. My 2012 1.2 tsi has developed a slight oil leak. I'm not sure where from, so I would be grateful for any ideas. I've included a couple of pics of gearbox, where droplets of oil can be seen to pool on the bolt before dripping off. 

Any help/ ideas appreciated. 20240427_164427.thumb.jpg.4b07a2c126eae2708d49ddd80d4ef0a9.jpg

20240427_164454.jpg

Could be the drive shaft CV seals in gearbox.

Clean up the arias as best you can where the driveshafts enter the gearbox, , then check it again in two days.

Also check gearbox oil level.

Failing that, it could be rear engine main oil seal. But clean up first.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carlodiesel said:

Clean up the arias as best you can where the driveshafts enter the gearbox

And remember to check which part the driveshafts are singing! ;) 

• Haha 2

I've got the same with my Yeti, same model and a few months newer. It's been picked up at the last three MOT's (including a couple of days ago) and the mechanics' advice has been it is minimal, it will be expensive to start investigating and as I'm not having to top up the oil between services and there is no oil staining on the drive - don't worry about it. I'm sure "don't worry about it" will be anathema to those that love a weekend ctawling around with an oily rag and handful of spanners but in this case my inhenernt laziness and a reluctance to spend money means i'm going to follow the professional advice. It may be a case of don't fix it when it ain't broke.

• Like 1

One of our previous Yetis was a (new) 1.2 tsi lease car and it had a similar leak from an engine seal at less than 5000 miles. They re-sealed it, cleaned the undertray and kept it overnight.  It wasn't much oil but was annoying because I kept seeing it each weekend when I checked the fluids. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Just showed my pics to a very experienced mechanic & he immediately felt sure it's a leaking drive shaft seal. Very common, apparently. 

He said it's nothing too serious, but I  will eventually have to top up gearbox oil if not repaired.