Brake discs/pads sizing.

MickA

Posted (edited)

Hit a snag on ordering discs and pads for my Kamiq.

Model 2020 1ltr DSG, the discs fitted are 276mm I got sent 256mm discs. Likewise the pads are too small, they sent them to suit the smaller discs.

So which models take the small size discs (256mm) and is it because mine is an auto I need the larger discs.

Anyways they definitely are the wrong discs sent, I spent an hour this morning taking off one disc to discover the sizes are different.

And BTW I went for Brembo discs/pads.

Edited by MickA

11 minutes ago, MickA said:

So which models take the small size discs (256mm) and is it because mine is an auto I need the larger discs.

Dunno, and dunno. 

Where did you order these items?

Your discs should match genuine part number 2Q0 615 301H, to suit PR codes 1ZE, 1ZS.

Pads are 2Q0 698 151Q.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Dunno, and dunno. 

Your discs should match genuine part number 2Q0 615 301H, to suit PR codes 1ZE, 1ZS.

Pads are 2Q0 698 151Q.

Ordered from eBay.

I inputted my car details and ordered them.

Since now I know the size is incorrect I've checked the  Brembo catalogue and it lists 2 sizes for the Kamiq. Just wondered which Kamiq takes the smaller size discs or was there a change of size in the production line?

I'm guessing maybe it's because mines auto or the higher powered 1ltr.

I can't find any info really apart from those you've now post above re IZE IZS.

The eBay listing refers to IZG for discs, something I didn't realise at the time of ordering.🤔

Yes, two sizes for fronts in the parts catalogue, only one for the rears.

I don't know what parameters Skoda/VW use to decide on sizing. Mass of vehicle, and top speed would be logical, but there may well be other factors.

Lots of models have more variants than this.

The first character in each of those PR codes is a numeral one, not a letter I, by the way.

Even when build options stickers were put in Skodas, the front brake PR code was rarely, if ever, present among them. 

49 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Yes, two sizes for fronts in the parts catalogue, only one for the rears.

I don't know what parameters Skoda/VW use to decide on sizing. Mass of vehicle, and top speed would be logical, but there may well be other factors.

Lots of models have more variants than this.

The first character in each of those PR codes is a numeral one, not a letter I, by the way.

Even when build options stickers were put in Skodas, the front brake PR code was rarely, if ever, present among them. 

Well thank you for your input, probably lesson learned, measure the discs first before ordering.

New to the Kamiq, probably didn't expect different size discs/pads for the 1ltr maybe for the 1.5. Wonder if I've been supplied, Scala/Fabia fit parts?

Anyways supplier is on the case, I've now provided my VIN and reg numbers to them, I await a reply.

Posted (edited)

Any decent seller would have used your car's VIN number to check that the parts he was sending you were correct. Getting involved in a guessing game and sending out wrong parts is really unprofessional.

If you had a full list of your car's build codes you could have checked whether your car had build code 1ZG for the smaller front brake discs, or 1ZE/1ZS for the bigger front brakes discs.

Valeo on autodoc thinks that the Fabia MK4 1.0TSI 95HP has 256x22mm front brakes discs and the Fabia MK4 1.0TSI 110HP has 276x24mm front brake discs. So maybe there's a similar cutoff point with the Kamiq...although the Kamiq does have bigger outside diameter tyres, for example 205/60R16 on the Kamiq versus 195/55R16 on the Fabia MK4...for the 16" tyre sizes. So the Kamiq might need the bigger brakes more than the Fabia MK4.

As you can see below, the front brake pads for the 256x22mm and 276x24mm front brake discs are different.

Kamiq front brake pads for 256x22mm front brake discs 1ZG

thumb?id=956196&m=0&n=0&lng=en&rev=94077831

Kamiq front brake pads for 276x24mm front brake discs 1ZE 1ZS

thumb?id=16165032&m=0&n=3&lng=en&rev=94077831

Edited by Carlston

40 minutes ago, Carlston said:

Any decent seller would have used your car's VIN number to check that the parts he was sending you were correct. Getting involved in a guessing game and sending out wrong parts is really unprofessional.

If you had a full list of your car's build codes you could have checked whether your car had build code 1ZG for the smaller front brake discs, or 1ZE/1ZS for the bigger front brakes discs.

Valeo on autodoc thinks that the Fabia MK4 1.0TSI 95HP has 256x22mm front brakes discs and the Fabia MK4 1.0TSI 110HP has 276x24mm front brake discs. So maybe there's a similar cutoff point with the Kamiq...although the Kamiq does have bigger outside diameter tyres, for example 205/60R16 on the Kamiq versus 195/55R16 on the Fabia MK4...for the 16" tyre sizes. So the Kamiq might need the bigger brakes more than the Fabia MK4.

As you can see below, the front brake pads for the 256x22mm and 276x24mm front brake discs are different.

Kamiq front brake pads for 256x22mm front brake discs 1ZG

thumb?id=956196&m=0&n=0&lng=en&rev=94077831

Kamiq front brake pads for 276x24mm front brake discs 1ZE 1ZS

thumb?id=16165032&m=0&n=3&lng=en&rev=94077831

I wasn't initially aware of the 2 different size front discs/pads for the Kamiq and annoyingly if I match my car on the eBay listing for 276 mm discs it says the won't fit but the 256 mm will.🤔

Never trust eBay info, TBF the listing does say the PR code of 1ZG I was unaware when ordering.

They have been in contact with me so awaiting a swap/refund whatever.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MickA said:

I wasn't initially aware of the 2 different size front discs/pads for the Kamiq...

The two different front brake disc sizes are shown in the Skoda Kamiq parts catalogue.

However, most owners aren't experts in this sort of thing so will often just rely on the seller.

If the seller doesn't have the car's VIN number, he won't be able to check for the correct parts because simply knowing the car's model, etc. isn't enough information to check against the VAG database which shows the parts that were fitted in the factory to each individual car. If the seller doesn't have a suitable computer system and hasn't paid for a suitable subscription service then again he won't be able to check that the parts he is selling are correct for an individual car.

Skoda Kamiq parts catalogue

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/skoda/CZ/KAM/584/6

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

If dIY it's probably better to source parts from a local motor factors, then when you see they are the wrong size you can take them back quicker.

7 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Dunno, and dunno. 

Pads are 2Q0 698 151Q.

On the europarts website 1zE 1ZS are 276mm and 1ZG are 256mm discs

If you input the details Kamiq 1ltr 2020 it shows both and tells you to check before ordering

Screenshot2024-05-07at21-32-52BrakeDiscsFrontRearBrakeDiscReplacements.thumb.png.57fca234aa13dd3adcf04b3bcb62515b.png

The fitment detail tabs just show the dimensions and do not offer clues to model or spec of the car

I always measure the disc diameter before buying. You can normally see what the possibilities are by what gets offered for sale againat your vehicle.

So above it shows 256mm or 276mm, a quick measure would confirm which you have.

Seller has sent me a return label to post the incorrect brake parts back, so refund looming and I'll get the correct ones ordered.

Thanks for everyone's input, it's been great to know that now I've  got the correct sizes with part codes etc.

If you are planning to service and repair "bits" of your car, I try to do all that, and to make life easier, I always make sure that I get a copy of CAR DATA from the relevant VW Group's local dealership's parts department. If you don't want to do that, there are some VW Group parts sellers that will provide with that by email, for very little money - for instance  www.coverdalecarparts.co.uk  

• Like 1