Mooing Noise from Rear Brakes

Hi,

Within the last 4-6 months my local Skoda main dealer has replaced the rear pads on my Octavia vRS. Since then when I reverse there is a mooing noise when I apply the brakes.

Mooing is a naf description I know, but one that Skoda Technical Support give to it. The initial suggestion from the dealer was to fit balance weights as done on the Fabia vRS, this has been vetoed by Skoda Technical Support as per their customer service notice CS/0506 dated 30th January 2006.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Is there a solution? I am becoming increasingly p!ssed off with my main dealer and the lack of response from Skoda Technical Support.

Cheers

Neal

Hi' date='

Within the last 4-6 months my local Skoda main dealer has replaced the rear pads on my Octavia vRS. Since then when I reverse there is a mooing noise when I apply the brakes.

Mooing is a naf description I know, but one that Skoda Technical Support give to it. The initial suggestion from the dealer was to fit balance weights as done on the Fabia vRS, this has been vetoed by Skoda Technical Support as per their customer service notice CS/0506 dated 30th January 2006.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Is there a solution? I am becoming increasingly p!ssed off with my main dealer and the lack of response from Skoda Technical Support.

Cheers

Neal[/quote']

375px-Cow.jpg

Maybe this? :rofl: :rofl:

• 1 month later...

Update...

Having sent an email to Skoda customer services, they have been busting their b@lls to help. An 'interim fix' was carried out by the dealers.

It is clear that not all dealers have been advised of this and if anyone has been having the same problem I recommend them to get in touch with Skoda customer services direct.

Neal,

I posted with regards to this (wake the neighbours) problem a little while back.

My dealer fitted the 'counterbalance' and it has sorted the problem. I have to say that it was only fitted about 3 weeks ago so it is early days, but hey... no mooing:thumbup:

Mine fitted a counterbalance. Mooing fixed.. but i now get an occaisonal (ie rare) squeal (mouse'ing?) from the brakes when gently braking going forwards slowly,...

But overall much better than the awful mooing!

my cat comes running to my house window to greet us when we arrive home ,its a custom to the mooing of my breaks when I park up.It is a bit emmbarasing when parking up in london as its so loud, I keep looking for parkings where I dont have to reverse park,or I reverse into parking so slow that I dont have to use the breaks,believe you me I feeeeeeeel the fustration!

Interesting! My dealer showed me a letter from Skoda customer services that specfically stated that the fitting of counter balances as per the Fabia vRS would not be covered under warrenty for the Octavia. Maybe they have fitted these and not told me!

Either way I keep getting 'phone calls from Skoda customer services asking me if I am still happy with my car, and i haven't paid for any of the work, bargain! :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmm... we picked up a 2005 Octy vRS last week and i notice it has this Mooing when reversing and braking. I'm glad in a way that it's a known issue - am going to take the car back to the dealer and point them in the direction of these counter weights

Car is still under manufacturers warranty and has only done 8000 miles

I had the fix done a few weeks ago and the mooing stopped but I started getting a squeal when braking in a forward direction. I still get this squealing and yesterday the mooing returned as well! I have spoken to Skoda again and they tell me they are on the case for another fix.

Customer Services still keep 'phoning me to see if I am happy. Suggests to me that thay are acutely aware of the problem. It's still taken them nearly a year from the original letter to sort out a problem though!

On a separtate point the screen wash pump failed and the dealer wanted to charge me

A bit of an update here for you.

I took my car in 3 weeks ago to have the 'mooing' fix done, which was great! No more embarrassing reversing manoeuvres! Unfortunately after the fix was done, my car also started screeching when coming to a halt. And not just a small squeak squeak, this was a LOUD screech. It actually sounded like my disks were being scraped by pad made of nails! :(

Anyways, spoke to my Skoda garage here, and they advised me they may be able to fix the problem by refitting the brake pads! Took my car there Friday morning and 40 minutes later I had my car back minus the screechy brakes! Hoorah! Having noticed my dirty alloys had no finger print marks on them when they did the 'mooing' fix, I assume they didn't need to take the wheels off, or take the brakes apart to fit the weights.

So maybe getting the brake pads refitted is all that's needed?

• 1 month later...