Recomend me a sub and amp combo

TaviaRS

Okey dokey, as I can't really track it for the next couple of years, weight is no longer an issue. Neither is having to clear it out, so its ICE time. I'll make it clear, I've never done this before so needs some help.

Currently running:

Sony h/u (2 pre-outs + sub pre-out)

Running the fronts bridged, pioneers with active crossovers

Rears are pioneer 6x9s run off a 600w Kenwood amp

Loud yes, sound quality not brilliant.

I'll be swapping the head unit fairly soon, already know what I'm having.

Now, I want bass! So, what would you recommend for an Octavia? What works well together? Do I want free air or enclosed?

Budget, not sure yet so lets put in different price points:

Up to

From the sub side, I want to get that "heart massage" feeling :D Alraedy got enough at the high end to make it feel like you've had knitting needles stuck in your ears.

Basically I like it hard/crisp and loud!

Oh, where's that system from?

I have a Box/12" sub and amp sitting at home as I took it out of the 16v and can't be bothered fitting it to the vRS for the reason you hadn't had one. Track days! 600w Pioneer sub, black carpet box and Maystar CX475 4 way amp. Not great , but not too bad.

I can't fault my dynaudio sub - certainly produces some heart massage bass when the amp's turned up to max - I turned it down a bit when I started to get headaches after listening to that bass leve for 10 minutes. :D :speaker:

All rockford fosgate amp equipment seems to be top-notch! :thumbup:

I'm well happy with my stuff - i've got 2 10" subs (Alpine Type-R - 1000w each) powered by two Alpine V12 amps.

I listen to lots of fast hard trance as well as nu-metal + rock and for the speakers to keep up with the bass I would recommend a couple of 10" subs rather than the more R&B/Garage/Generally-girly 12's. ;)

If you fancy a listen - drop me a pm!

Edited to add: Got it all from www.cel-direct.co.uk - excellent prices + service.

Jon

That sounds like a good thing... Would that be too big to put on one CD-R?

I can exchange it for a CD-R with all 3 "ministry of sound - history of hard dance" CD-s. (edited to say in MP3 - 192kbps form)

(If you want it, of course. :D :speaker: )

Must admit to not really understandng why an amp in needed........is it just to get a louder system? Or is it that the higher quality components speakers require a separate power source to drive them?

I've just fitted some 6x9 Infintys and they're more than loud enough for me.

Just wondering.........

Right click' date=' save as

Its about 160mb. If you like it, I've got his previous 3 as well, just not hosted them :D[/quote']

Jon, none of the files in that folder are downloadable, all I get is you do not have permission

Now' date=' I want bass! So, what would you recommend for an Octavia? What works well together? Do I want free air or enclosed?

I want simple to install and easy to remove. Oh and I listen to things like AC/DC, Hard Trance, dance stuff and Rock mainly.

Go for it boys! (oooh, and girls)[/quote']

For that sort of music you ideally want a 10" sub in a ported enclosure for punchy bass that still goes low rather than a 12 , and for trully mind numbing volumes you could consider a pair.

You saw mine at the welsh meet didn't you?

No specific recommendations , but try and get one with a proper manufacturer designed enclosure rather than a standard box from a dealer. It will make a huge difference.

Rockford stuff is very good indeed , as is JBL.

Oh and I know you have a head unit in mind , but make sure it has a high pass filter so you don't need to send any bass to the front and rear speakers , only the sub.

Jon - I'm at work until Xmas Eve! :( - but off until Jan 5th. :bouncer:

I was thinking that if you were going to the Wales thing Jan 3rd (assuming all goes A-OK in that respect) we could do a mutually beneficial exchange of sub-abusing music. :speaker:

Manny, I think my hosting company ain't happy :(

They say I have unlimited download bandwidth, however, I put that link up last night on another site and since 6 pm I've got through 9.1GB of downloads :eek:

Picky, picky, picky! :D

They say I have unlimited download bandwidth' date=' however, I put that link up last night on another site and since 6 pm I've got through 9.1GB of downloads :eek:

Picky, picky, picky! :D[/quote']

:rofl:

I'll check it out when I can download it!

Must admit to not really understandng why an amp in needed........is it just to get a louder system? Or is it that the higher quality components speakers require a separate power source to drive them?

Bit of both, really. Highe quality speakers do need more power to drive them - they tend to be disgned with that in mind

Sure, an external amp will make more noise but the important thing is the quality of that noise - HU amps tend to get very thrashy when pushed and lose definition. External amps though, just get er, louder and keep their composure. I guess it's the sort of thing you don't notice until you do the comparison.

Far too many long words this time on a Friday night... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Jon,

Pretty simple m8, the choice is clear in my opinion, from using and owning. I would without go for a JL Audio sub, probably a 12w6v1. You can probably get one from e-bay for about 100 notes. I have found that these are the best subs, low enough for fishes swimming in the sea to hear and with punch and reflex for any type of music.

If you are in any doubt, ask Des, he's heard my set up and it rocks!! The amps I would go for would be either a Directed Class D amp (monoblock) or something from the Phoenix Gold range. With the JL you can run it with a 1 Ohm stable amp at up to 1500 watts RMS assuming that the amp can provide 1 Ohms stable. If not 800 watts at 2 ohms.

All the competition boys and many of the SPL and SQ boys run JL and they are the best all round if you want total quality. I have heard just about every sub that there is, seeing as one of my mates has his own install business.

Unless you want to get into SPL, when you might want to check out Resonant Engineering with a Brax amp, then try JL Audio.

If you PM me, I can put the word out amongst the underground, or try logging onto www.caraudiodirect.co.uk and join their forum. I have got many a fine piece of serious ICE from the boys on there.

N-Joy :bullwhip:

Cheers Andre :D

Have a good new year mate.

To all the others who replied, thanks! I can tell I am now on the road to rack and ruin (along with some perforated eardrums and a dicky ticker) :D I've been listening to the ones you've suggested, yes they sound good BUT how do I know what they will be like in my car? :confused: Or do I just wing it?

Jon,

A V Happy New Year to U 2 M8.

I can only say that getting these things right is a question of trial and error.I am fortunate in as much as I have mates who are Audio Pro's.

Should you be up this way, I am sure I can be persuaded to get a few of us together so that you can have a listen and make up your own mind.

PM if you want to know more.

:smileypul