PD160 Intake pipe - the definitive thread?

Joff

right, i think i have a MAF sensor in my felicia.

It controls a flap in the airbox so it chooses if it wants either hot or cold air, into the engine. i read that in the haynes manual.

One feed to the airbox is from the outside the other comes from the exhaust shield.

So if I want a perfromance air filter, I have to buy one that goes inside the airbox.

right, i think i have a MAF sensor in my felicia.

It controls a flap in the airbox so it chooses if it wants either hot or cold air, into the engine. i read that in the haynes manual.

One feed to the airbox is from the outside the other comes from the exhaust shield.

So if I want a perfromance air filter, I have to buy one that goes inside the airbox.

Not quite. The MAF is after the airbox.

I think what your looking at is the cold start....thing.

On a cold morning, the flap moves so it draws in hot air from the exhaust manifold to warm the engine up quicker. Or something along those lines :thumbup:

From my nearest Seat dealer:

Good afternoon part no 6ll129621 retails at 13.09+vat + 6ll129618 retails at 49.40+vat

How much !!!??? is this normal?

Yup. Seemingly, it's SEAT profiteering on a popular mod...

You thought wrong. Its over-oiled filters you want to avoid. I've got two, and clean/re-oil the one I've removed immediately after I take it out. The oil then gets fully absorbed into the filter by the time I need to use it again.

So it's the user that's at fault then, not the filter manufacturers.

• 6 months later...

I fitted a PD160 intake pipe and front flange and realising it would possibly rub against the engine pipe, I placed a thick washer (drivers side) between the front flange where it fastens with the 2 torque bolts to the rear of the front panel, this then points the PD160 intake pipe away from the engine so as not to catch.

Hope this helps.

Mr Mogwye.

• 9 months later...
will this part fit my skoda fabia 1.4mpi engine?

This has been asked before, and I think the answer's "no". For starters, the two cars have different air boxes, and IIRC for working on my wife's MPi, the inlet hole in the slam panel at the front of the car doesn't have the "female" part that the PD160 clips into (you'll have to use your imagination a bit, but you can see the intake hose running forward to it in the bottom-right of this picture - ignore the yellow oval):

cts3.jpg

The stuff in this thread might be of interest, though: :thumbup:

http://briskoda.net/items-sale/lummoxs-great-clearout-fabia-parts-etc/123231/

Edited by ap0gee

Interesting price jump on these bits of platic.

When I first fitted these bits..........

They were priced at 12.69 for the 621 bit and 20.52 for the 618.

Plus vat at the then rate of 17.5% That was Dec 2006.

Just checked with the same Seat spares stockist and was quoted.

13.88 for the 621 and 52.54 for the 618 and that dont include the 15% vat.

Prices are pounds UK sterling not Euro thingies.

I am aware of inflation but this is a complete rip off.

Is there a cheaper route to these bits ???

I can remember seeing ads from "Rougemont" some time ago . He was offering

quite good prices on these plastic bits.. But I cant find any trace of the contacts to

access him.. Is he still an active member ?

Or gone and a got a Scoobie or Beeeemer ?

Sent a Pm to Vrstu but expect he is out in his R8 . Before the snow comes down

I've just bought bits for this 2nd hand - but i've been thinking couldnt you just buy the trumpet and use a universal section of hosing with the correct diameter?

Yep, but half of the point of going down the Seat route is that it looks factory.

The benefits of the trumpet would be negligible, it's the larger diameter pipe that does all the magic so you if you're going to DIY just ditch the standard parts and fit some hosing.

• 4 weeks later...
I can remember seeing ads from "Rougemont" some time ago . He was offering

quite good prices on these plastic bits.. But I cant find any trace of the contacts to

access him.. Is he still an active member ?

Or gone and a got a Scoobie or Beeeemer ?

Sent a Pm to Vrstu but expect he is out in his R8 . Before the snow comes down

I stopped doing the intake pipes as Seat Europe hiked their prices in line with UK and the pound then fell through the floor. Now drive an Oct vrs tdi with performance torque remap, highly recommended!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would add after fitting mine that, where the zip tie is on the above pic's I used mole grips and slid the metal clips into the middle of the pipe and was able to rotate the pipe which had a natural bend in it. this gave me enough clearence to not need the zip tie!!

From my nearest Seat dealer:

Good afternoon part no 6ll129621 retails at 13.09+vat + 6ll129618 retails at 49.40+vat

How much !!!??? is this normal?

See the quote above, these are probably current prices from a Seat dealer although if you place a wanted ad you may pick one up a little cheaper. You should search yourself really but since I'm in a good mood this morning :rofl:

My local dealer wanted £70 for one of these. After driving a standard VRS for years I finally bothered my **** to get one. Suspect upgrades might become a bit addictive, I already changed the headlights. Good info on how to fit it so thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a complete novice - however, even I found it simple andstraightforwards to fit this. Has just taken me 15 mins having obtained the part from a fellow Briskodian (ta Tideee :thumbup: )

Now, to see what the difference is!

Thanks for guide, very useful

• 1 month later...