Storm Buggies

Makefish

Spotted these at Goodwood Festival of Speed and had quite a chat with the young chap that was exhibiting there. I like the thought of hooning around on some private land near me and they are also street legal!.

Only thing that puts me off is that they are made in China and the quality isn't that special but they are cheap,

on a recent works trip to Monaco we took 20 of these up in the mountains.

your right about the quality, 4 of the them broke with 2 loosing front wheels, 1 burning its clutch out and the 4th having all sorts of issues.

cracking fun for those of us that didnt break down though... lots of sideways action on and off road...

They sell them up at Hindhead' date=' right by the trafic light junction.

It would be great fun to build one up.[/quote']

Next to the sit on lawn mowers :thumbup:

Spotted these at Goodwood Festival of Speed and had quite a chat with the young chap that was exhibiting there. I like the thought of hooning around on some private land near me and they are also street legal!.

Only thing that puts me off is that they are made in China and the quality isn't that special but they are cheap' date=' £1700 in kit form (would take a couple of weekends to put together) or £2200 assembled!.

[img']http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/Makefish/150cc335.jpg[/img]

I've got one of these: ABDuo.jpg (http://www.moto-roma.co.uk/150cc_buggies.html)

(I had a duo coz I wanted two seats). I think this is from Argentina, but looks like exactly the same chassis. Not road legal as no indicators or speedo, but I guess could be added (but then you'd need tax, insurance etc).

No probs with the quality as far as I'm concerned. My son (with my brother in law sat beside him) rolled it full over and landed back on the wheels. Once the shock had passed, he just drove it off again. No damage at all.

Took a bit of starting after 3 months rest over the winter, but has run fine all summer. Thoroughly good fun, easy to control the back end via the throttle, good brakes. Only issue I have is I can't reach the handbrake while strapped in, so no handbrake turns for me.

Oh well, can't have everything, but definitely a :thumbup: and :D

do a search on www.alibaba.com under buggies.

You can get better + bigger models and cheaper if you're willing to cut out the middle-man by ordering them direct and waiting for them to come in. Of course gotta pay tax, clear them through customs, etc.

The trick is to ask for a "demo unit" to be shipped to you (and mention that your company is called so-and-so motorsports);) .

What they do then is send one that has been carefully checked out to be a better-than-average unit. You can also ask for your own "company's" graphics/colour and they will gladly sort you out:D .

The other thing is that Chinese companies will happily give you a receipt in whatever (lowered) amount you care to declare;) (don't get too greedy though!:rofl: )

I ordered and received a nice 3-in-1 mill/lathe/drill unit that cost peanuts and is great for making all sorts of things (mostly metal chips!). As a "demo unit" from Sieg in China.www.siegind.com They're good people.

(Stu M8 - you gotta get one of these - great fun!:D )

HTH

Cheers:thumbup:

Bas

These Ting Tongs will make anything won't they.

I did a search on that alibaba for mini moto's which is something I keep threatening to buy myself.

My first-ever welding project was a little electric buggy for my son a year ago when he was 3. I had never welded before and had a lot of fun learning while doing it.

On full blast it'll hit about 35km/h, and can carry all 110kg of me! (I turn the power way down for him tho'!):D

How I did it:

I bought two cheap trolleys (like the one my son is towing in the first pic).

A wrecked rechargeable 24v three-wheeler provided the rear drive + wheels. (a wrecked golf cart would have been even better)

Got a buddy to cast an aluminium copy of a discarded toy steering wheel. (Wrecked car steering was too large)

Made the steering from scratch out of threaded rod and ball bearings. Front wheels from the trolleys.

hacksaw, angle grinder + a cheapo AC welder were the only tools needed. Spraycan-painted yellow.

(Tube steel is such great stuff to work with!)

The cheapest way to get a storm buggy would be to cost the materials and copy the buggy's measurements from a mate. You could get all the other parts easily from go-kart spares, and put a nice motobike engine on it (aka "shifter kart").

(There are some carts out there that are powered by 750cc motorbike engines!!!:eek:)

(I won't even mention the Kiwi Bruce simpson who makes them with Jet engines.....)

It's still working fine BTW!

Cheers

Bas

10193.attach

10194.attach

10195.attach