can anyone help me decide on my octy's exhaust situation?

Hi, can anyone help me, i am trying to decide whether or not to fit an exhaust system to my octy vrs which is still under warranty, and this is what presents my problem. If i do fit an exhaust system then i want to be able to take it back off incase it needs to go back to garage, so i therefore want to keep my old system. So long story short can i take my old exhaust off my octy vrs without breaking it or would it have to go to a garage? the system i am looking at comes in three pieces but the standard on the car looks like it's in one piece?:confused: HELP :confused:

Hi octavia red,

yes and thanks for that, it is as i thought then, it bends over the axle a bit funny, that's probably where they had to cut it,

oh well i'm probably going to do it anyway!! that's why i'm thinking about it too much!!

There's punch marks on the exhaust where it needs to be cut for removal. The sleeve required for refitting is available from the dealer AFAIK and is used when replacing just the back box.

Personally I recomend speaking to your dealer first. I enquired about modifying my car (octavia vRS) when it was 12 months old and the dealer was very helpfull. The warranty would still be valid as long as the aftermarket part was not the cause of the failure. I was assured for example that bigger wheels, suspension and brakes could all be played with and if the turbo went bang that would still be repaired under warranty. Even with re-maps, they dont look. The dealer gets paid buy skoda for warranty work - so your happy - there happy.

And i've never known an aftermarket exhaust cause any damage to a car before - just my suggestion.

That sort of thing's quite common; what tends to happen is that the exhaust is fitted to the car before the rear suspension.

And, like others, I've never seen damage caused by a change of exhaust system.

Personally I recomend speaking to your dealer first. I enquired about modifying my car (octavia vRS) when it was 12 months old and the dealer was very helpfull. The warranty would still be valid as long as the aftermarket part was not the cause of the failure. I was assured for example that bigger wheels' date=' suspension and brakes could all be played with and if the turbo went bang that would still be repaired under warranty. Even with re-maps, they dont look. The dealer gets paid buy skoda for warranty work - so your happy - there happy.

And i've never known an aftermarket exhaust cause any damage to a car before - just my suggestion.[/quote']

Quite clearly you're new to the forum and aren't aware of the fact that Skoda UK have contacted dealers to inform them that certain cars owned by members on here have a voided warranty and any claim that the dealer submits will not be paid.

Quite clearly you're new to the forum and aren't aware of the fact that Skoda UK have contacted dealers to inform them that certain cars owned by members on here have a voided warranty and any claim that the dealer submits will not be paid.

:eek: Crikey! Did I miss this somewhere...

Do the owners concerned know?

:eek: Crikey! Did I miss this somewhere...

Do the owners concerned know?

Yes but only because the dealer had the courtesy to call them. Skoda UK monitor this forum so saying things like the dealer isn't bothered because they get paid by Skoda UK can get dealers in trouble if they are named.

Hi and thanks to everyone for all their help,

my dealer has been very helpful, i asked just a week after purchasing my octy if i could fit a dump valve and after a few phone calls they said it was ok, i just wanted to hear what other people thought on the situation because i didn't want skoda to think i was pushing my luck!!

Well lucky for me my car is still standard then! and all the research i've been doing will only be put into use after the warranty expires which isn't that far away now.

How out of order is it to spy on forums like this. I thought my dealer was very fair in saying that if that part was the cause tough luck but if not and totaly unrelated then they would be happy to honour the warranty.

After all it's things like that that would make you buy another new Skoda. But people can change their opinons of a company. :thumbdwn:

How out of order is it to spy on forums like this. I thought my dealer was very fair in saying that if that part was the cause tough luck but if not and totaly unrelated then they would be happy to honour the warranty.

After all it's things like that that would make you buy another new Skoda. But people can change their opinons of a company. :thumbdwn:

Skoda is part of VAG and I believe that the hard line originated from the latter. I do know that VW dealers in the UK have received very specific instructions about the warranty implications of aftermarket modifications - and I would expect those to apply equally to Audi, SEAT and Skoda in the UK. Other markets may have different rules.