skoda 4x4 vs audi quattro

kenny

Kenny

To add to the FAQ link, the Octavia is the 4motion/VW/A3/Haldex mostly-part-time system, whereas the A4 Quattros I owned had an even front rear split more like my Subarus.

The Haldex system offers a BIG improvement on fuel consumption, works as well once you are on the move, but I'm reserving judgement on the traction from a standing start until after the winter or until I can get back up to the Aonach Mor car park when it has snow on it again :)

Rob

• Like 1

Kenny

For sheer grip and traction I would say that the A4 quattro transmission is the best of the (15) 4WD road cars I've owned. Not necessarily the best fun, but for putting the power down, I think it was unbeatable.

Not sure which era of A4 your Dad has, but if you mean the 1.8T Quattro Sport of the previous shape (99-01), then it started with 180bhp like the vRS so Mr Jabba should be able to lend a helping hand. The suspension was also slightly lower than the other A4 Quattros of the time (2.5 TDI, 2.8) so again this will help with chucking it about !

The latest generation shape was just a lower state of tune until recently, but hey, so is the Octavia 4x4, so the same applies. If your Dad is feeling generous then its a good starting point to basically a semi-S4

Rob

his is the new type, around 150bhp i think its also the sport model with lower suspension and optional 17in alloys.

again i would imagine aroun 220bhp would be available from jabba.

2 years old so i guess the price value would still be quite high so some saving will be required!

• 14 years later...

@Fabpreza

and for anyone who comes across this misinformed topic...

The same Haldex units are used across all the 4WD Vag cars, Quattro is just another word for 4 wheel drive on the Audi.  There is no difference between the same generation Haldex used on the 4x4 Skoda or the Audi.  Both are the same. A 1st Gen Audi Haldex is the same as a 1st Gen Skoda Haldex.   

All Haldex units are not 50/50 distribution from factory, apart from some of the very latest generations.  However there are modifications you can use on the older generation Haldex to bring them closer to 50/50, like upgraded blue/orange controllers or the powertrack inserts that Darkside development produce.

1 hour ago, sammyhale30 said:

@Fabpreza

and for anyone who comes across this misinformed topic...

The same Haldex units are used across all the 4WD Vag cars, Quattro is just another word for 4 wheel drive on the Audi.  There is no difference between the same generation Haldex used on the 4x4 Skoda or the Audi.  Both are the same. A 1st Gen Audi Haldex is the same as a 1st Gen Skoda Haldex.   

All Haldex units are not 50/50 distribution from factory, apart from some of the very latest generations.  However there are modifications you can use on the older generation Haldex to bring them closer to 50/50, like upgraded blue/orange controllers or the powertrack inserts that Darkside development produce.

Well that's gotta be the thread revival of the century I guess. Getting on for 15 years old...

But the original thread wasn't incorrect, the question was whether the Skoda 4x4 (Haldex) was the same as the Audi A4 Quattro, which it wasn't. The A4 used Torsen 4x4, not Haldex.

Edited by Rustynuts
  • Like 3

quattro (with a small q) is just a name - not a system.

All Audis with longitudinal mounted engines (MLB) have the TorSen differential and the cars with transverse mounted engines (MQB) uses the Haldex series. Tho the Q7 uses a BorgWarner system.

• Like 3

Near enough accurate, if it matters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A4 

Elephant in the room.

?

Which system do you have, when is the Haldex Service required, is there a filter to change, is it at 3 years or 30,000 miles.

?

Why does Full Main Dealer Servicing mean that the Haldex Servicing might not get done to Manufacturers Service Schedule / Guidelines even if you have a Service Plan.

?

Why do Service Desk Staff not tell you about Heldex Services, or why have they maybe not a clue about it?

Edited by Offski