What oil is in from new?

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what oil is in a Furby VRS from new? I always change the oil and filter on all new engines after 30 - 100 miles to get rid of the rubbish. I'm assuming it's a mineral oil to enable the engine to bed in?

TIA

Its certianly not a mineral oil, not good for the PD injectors.

Engines dont really use running in oil now as engines are built much better these days. On cars with vriable servicing the first oil change is 20k+. Yours will be on fixed and fine until 10k.

And it's strongly recommended NOT to change oil before your first service.

Indeed. It's 2006, not 1906. I think a boffin at VW knows what he, or indeed she's talking about when they say the first oil change is at 10k. No sooner.

That is, of course, if you know any better..?

Indeed. It's 2006' date=' not 1906. I think a boffin at VW knows what he, or indeed she's talking about when they say the first oil change is at 10k. No sooner.

That is, of course, if you know any better..?[/quote']

Why? When you think about it that doesn't make a lot of sense. Does that mean that you shouldn't change the oil after 12 months if a car has only covered 2,000 miles from new??

Are you sure it's not "there is no need to change the oil before 10k or 1 year, but it won't do any harm if you do"?

Why? When you think about it that doesn't make a lot of sense. Does that mean that you shouldn't change the oil after 12 months if a car has only covered 2' date='000 miles from new??

Are you sure it's not "there is no need to change the oil before 10k or 1 year, but it won't do any harm if you do"?[/quote']

If you change the oil before the first service then you'll flush out all the little particles of metal that come off the engine while running in, its these particles that help the engine bed in.

Honda also advise the same and considering they're the worlds largest engine manufacturer (14 million enigine per year :eek: ) i'd say they know what they're talking about. ;)

Why? When you think about it that doesn't make a lot of sense. Does that mean that you shouldn't change the oil after 12 months if a car has only covered 2' date='000 miles from new??

Are you sure it's not "there is no need to change the oil before 10k or 1 year, but it won't do any harm if you do"?[/quote']

People do 2k a year! With a diesel? :eek: ;)

To me, a modern driver [ie, I couldn't strip a carb..], it's simple: abide by the service schedule.

You can't go wrong with that.

The last thing you want, say, if warranty work were factored in, is a claim being turned down because you did your own thing with the engine. If it needed changing due to a thinner oil being used, then it'd be in the service schedule.

My bike needed a change at 600 miles with the oil, but they're a touch more delicate than a mass produced, proven derv.

:)

People do 2k a year! With a diesel? :eek: ;)

To me' date=' a modern driver [ie, I couldn't strip a carb..'], it's simple: abide by the service schedule.

You can't go wrong with that.

The last thing you want, say, if warranty work were factored in, is a claim being turned down because you did your own thing with the engine. If it needed changing due to a thinner oil being used, then it'd be in the service schedule.

My bike needed a change at 600 miles with the oil, but they're a touch more delicate than a mass produced, proven derv.

:)

Yep believe it or not, some people do buy diesels and hardly use them! I bought my VRS when it was 1 year old with just over 3,000 on the clock (for a bargain price!).

I too would stick to manufacturer service intervals. The only thing that worries me is that manufacturers are now extended service intervals to make cars more attractive to lease companies (ie. total cost of ownership is less for the first few years which makes the cars more attractive to leaser companies). They don't care what happens to a car after 3 years because it will be out of warranty!

If you change the oil before the first service then you'll flush out all the little particles of metal that come off the engine while running in' date=' its these particles that help the engine bed in.

Honda also advise the same and considering they're the worlds largest engine manufacturer (14 million enigine per year :eek: ) i'd say they know what they're talking about. ;)[/quote']

Umm - isn't the oil filter intended to catch these little metal particles ?

Regards,

Richard

"I sometimes think my Fabia is fitted with more intelligence than myself!"