ok, coil packs, is the problem as big as it seems?

Drpepper

Right, we seem to see someones go on a daily basis, but are a lot failing or is it just due to the large number of 1.8T owners on here?

Please vote accordingly, the results of this I will discuss with our local dealer, then look at a formal letter to Skoda UK, try to use the weight of numbers to get a response. Our local dealer has said (unofficially) he wishes Skoda would do a recall on them to get them all replaced, so we have (at least one) dealers on side.

I haven't had one on my car, but, of the for Octavias on our fleet, two of the RS's have had failures. One car has lost one, the other three. The latter one was off the road from early December until last week, awaiting replacement. And Forward Motors only got the new ones because they bought them from Audi!

Not good, not good at all.........

Phil

Are the other octy owners in the fleet registered on Briskoda? If not, get them online and voting, the more (honest) results we get the better in approaching Skoda UK.[/quote:540849069c]

No, and not likely to happen. I guess some people are community people, and some just drive a car! :roll:

One coil pack failed, after 10000 km, took them 3 weeks to replace it. Chief of service told me this one is a new type, so it won't fail again. But there are the 3 other, I've got to knock them out in 1 year, before garanty expires.

I was told it was the insulation around the top of the spark plug that gives way or similar. My dealer told me that they had the bonnet up on RS with this problem an when they turned the engine over the spark from the faulty coil pack shot upwards and burnt the inside of the bonnet!!! You'll know when you have the problem the car runs lumpy and the engine management light is always on. However, before mine went I did notice that the car wasn't running quite right it felt like it was under powered. As far as I know there isn't a temporary fix, you will need a new coil pack.

Later

LLB

Havent had a problem with my car yet , but its only on 10600 miles as its mostly a town driven car , albeit an almost 19 month old one. The thing is you just never know when its going to happen , this could strike at anytime which is why ive had a J coilpack on order since the start of December just to carry in my car as an insurance policy , although theres still no sign of it at my dealer!

This weeks Auto Express has an article on this in it's Watchdog section :-

'Watchdog has been deluged by complaints from irate readers who own a VW Group car with a 1.8T engine. Volkswagon, Audi, SEAT and Skoda drivers have all contacted us after their motors were left stranded at dealers waiting for replacement coli packs. The parts, vital to the ignition system, have failed because of the recent damp and cold weather, with moisture breaking through the seals rendering the vehicles unusable.

Elizabeth Benson, from Alderley Edge, Cheshire needs an ignition pack for her Audi TT. Paul Bonner e-mailed to say the internet has lots of reports of such faults, while Mike Frost's 3,000 mile 1.8T Passat has been waiting for repairs since November.

We called VW, which admitted there was a problem. It said parts would be delivered by mid-February on a first come, first served basis and that cars made between 2000 and 2001 were worst affected. "These are exceptional circumstances caused by bad weather, but the new parts have been modified so this won't happen again", said a spokesman. Volkswagen added that [b:c8a527b47c]OWNERS WITH CARS BUILT IN THIS PERIOD CAN HAVE THE NEW COIL PACKS FITTED TO AVOID FAILURE.[/b:c8a527b47c]This also applies to Audis, Skodas and SEATs.'

....What it doesn't say is if they'll do it for nought, from the sound of it if you haven't been waiting long, since say November, then the next batch may have gone before you get one. Just glad my 03 reg is going to come with a full set of the new ones. At this rate they'll be worth more than the car !!

But what is the part number of the new ones - K or the current J which is failing along with the H version? I haven't had one go yet but that could be bacause the 4X4 is sitting in a garage and hasn't been used much since November. Meanwhile the Felicia is doing the mileage for 2 cars, and utterly reliably too. Such is progress.