vRS remap

farky77

I'm thinking of getting Furby remapped. I live relatively close to Star Performance so that would be the place to go yeah?? My question is, what sort of difference will i notice to the performance? Is the first time driving the remapped car like OH..........MY...........GOD!!!!!!:eek: Also, i've read about people saying that the standard turbo can only last so long on higher boost??:confused: And finally, can the power be mapped across the rev range pr is it just BANG!!! all at once?:confused: Thanx in advance:thumbup:

P.S what sort of price am i looking at for the remap?

Might be worth a search as there is LOTS of info on here about remaps and pros/cons etc etc.

Might be worth looking at various tuners and asking them questions, depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend, distance to travel etc

Star Performance in Fife seems to get good reports :thumbup:

I considered them when when getting my Golf PD130 remapped but I eventually went with Angel Tuning with fantastic results ! :D

So much so that when I then bought my wife a Fabia PD100 Estate I had that remapped by Angel Tuning as well. :)

Angel Tuning (Paul in Scotland) come to you at your house or work to do the remap which is actually a generic map but the the end results are really totally amazing and at a bargain price too ! :cool:

http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/

If you're interested give Paul a phone on 07957 286 090 & tell him Guy put you on to him, he's a really very nice bloke & knows his stuff .. I don't think you'd be dissapointed ! :thumbup:

Whatever you decide ... have fun ! :D

Hi

We could offer you the Tunit unit.

This is a plug in and play toy.

It is also didgital so you can do another tune to it via a laptop.

We looked in to this as we saw a 150PD MK4 Golf with nearly 200bhp

It had a superb torque curve without smoking.

The good thing about these are that they will fit ALL the PD engines throughout the VAG range , so if you was to sell the car on it can be removed very easily to go on to another car.

By simply bolting it on you get an increase to 155bhp and then there are 9 adjustments under the bonnet.

The lap top tuning can increase on that too.

Torque can be adjusted under the bonnet too.

£398.00 + VAT these retail for and if the car is under warranty within 15 mins this box can be removed with NO TRACES AT ALL

Sarah

Hi

The good thing about these are that they will fit ALL the PD engines throughout the VAG range , so if you was to sell the car on it can be removed very easily to go on to another car.

By simply bolting it on you get an increase to 155bhp and then there are 9 adjustments under the bonnet.

Jim at Star has just done further work on his map, it's a good bit better than his last one, with a wider "enhanced" band.

To date no one with a Star map has needed a turbo replaced, so he must be doing something right.

I don't know Angel so don't wish to cast asspersions upon them but at least 2 guys on here have needed turbos replaced after Angel maps but that could be down to driving style or other defects.

PM me for further details.

The car is driving by my wife during the week, and then by myself at the weekend so it will very rarely be driving HARD, apart from the odd occasion when i'm in the car without my 2yr old son;) As i've said, i'm a bit worried regarding the turbo after a remap, though after reading some threads on here,it seems the turbo failing is due to constant BRISK driving?!! Also, does the car get alot Smokier after the remap?:confused:

The car is driving by my wife during the week, and then by myself at the weekend so it will very rarely be driving HARD, apart from the odd occasion when i'm in the car without my 2yr old son;) As i've said, i'm a bit worried regarding the turbo after a remap, though after reading some threads on here,it seems the turbo failing is due to constant BRISK driving?!! Also, does the car get alot Smokier after the remap?:confused:

Jim(STAR) remaps car's with quality and longevity in mind, some tuners will advertise silly HP increases and as glider said they end up with people blowing TC units, If you would like to PM me i will let you know all about the map and how it affects the car over a length of time, but big brother is watching ;)

:D

I don't know Angel so don't wish to cast asspersions upon them but at least 2 guys on here have needed turbos replaced after Angel maps but that could be down to driving style or other defects.

PM me for further details.

I have pm'd you for further details on this. :thumbup:

Edited to add: I've now spent some time doing a complete search of this forum on the words "Angel Tuning" & I can find no mention of anyone on here having posted anything about any turbo problems after an Angel Tuning remap mainly just positive comments. :confused:

As the owner of two vehicles with Angel Tuning maps obviously I'm going to be concerned if there is a genuine problem with these remaps & hopefully you can clear this up for me in a P.M. if you want ? :confused:

I did happen to notice in one thread during my search, that at one point you don't seem to have had a very good experience of an "Upsolute remap" and a turbo though ... Ouch !:D

This is where I thing generic remaps are better with REVO and APR ect alot of testing goes into the map to make sure its not gonna brake the engine and I want the full benefit from this testing,I dont want some guy giving a last min tweek to get a few extra bhp.Custom maps are generic with a last min tweek of a few settings.

Turbo`s are more likley to fail because of a too high exaust gas temperature cause by a bad map not the amount of boost it is supplying.

my next map is gonna be APR from awsome me thinks I am just waiting till mt bank balance looks a little better

Turbo`s are more likley to fail because of a too high exaust gas temperature cause by a bad map not the amount of boost it is supplying.

Not on the PD engines. The turbos are designed to supply a certain amount of boost. If the remap puts it up to high the loading in the main shaft is to much. The lack of actual bearings in the turbo leads to failure. Hence Turbo Dynamics making the hybrid so you can run 1.6 bar+ safely.

Hi

This is where I thing generic remaps are better with REVO and APR ect alot of testing goes into the map to make sure its not gonna brake the engine and I want the full benefit from this testing.

My car has a well known generic remap. It has so far blown up 2 turbos. I doubt if the amount of testing remappers do is as large as you think. Testing costs money.

My car has a well known generic remap. It has so far blown up 2 turbos. I doubt if the amount of testing remappers do is as large as you think. Testing costs money.

Bad reputations also tend to cost tuners alot of money, The ones I know either test their map rigerously or use well known continental maps.

Bad reputations also tend to cost tuners alot of money, The ones I know either test their map rigerously or use well known continental maps.

My first vRS turbo failed after 15k miles & 100 Ring laps.

My clutch failed after 30k miles.

My second turbo failed after 30k miles & 43 Ring laps.

My Boxster has done 20k miles & 450 Ring laps. It has had no sign of engine trouble.

My Clio 172 has done 34k miles & 58 Ring laps. No sign of engine trouble.

My MX5 has done 42k miles & 48 ring laps. No sign of engine trouble.

My cars have the type of life car makers use for their testing. So far Porsche, Mazda & Renault have done very well but I suspect my re-mapper could do with a bit more testing.

Name and shame then ;)

The car is still in Germany being fixed but as soon as it gets home I will offer them the chance to explain why it has blown up again. Their reaction last time was very much " couldn't possibly be our fault mate" so I am not expecting a huge response.

In my own opinion, turbos tend to let go because people uprate the power of the engine. Yet some do not uprate what helps the turbo spin. A good quality oil is needed to help the turbo spin and also to disipate the heat built up from inside the turbo. The engine gets a hard drive and they do not let the engine idle and circulate the oil around the turbo enough. Helping it to cool. Then oil deposits build up on the shaft and after a while it starts to wear and eventually bye bye turbo. I have seen this in many a turbocharged engine in the Ford circle.

It is not the only cause of turbo failure, but is one that is overlooked by many.

I previously had a Focus RS and the boost was raised by Superchips and there were no problems at all with the turbo after 36,000 miles of use.

But as with anything, if you use it hard then it will wear out quicker! Plus you have to remember. The turbo was designed to be used on a road application and not like in a race or rally car.