Change of car thoughts (again) from MR2 roadster to

walkie

TaviaRS - moving over to the dark side. If you take the plunge, let me know and i'll point you in the direction of some useful 1 series forums.

Oh and to all those who slate BMWs for being driven by To55ers, why not buy one and be as courteous as possible. Maybe we can all change the habits of others and if not, at least we could surprise people :lol:

Oh, and the 120d is a very decent car - my Father has one. Likes to feast out on rear tyres mind...

Oh yes and to Beeftech - have you been in an ST220? I rode in one on Wednesday and whilst it was powerful with a smooth engine, the tyre noise was shocking. At 70 mph you cant even hear anyone sitting in the back! Oh and the ride wasn't all that (we were 4 up though...) and there was a few annoying rattles and an awful squeak coming from the c-pillar. To me, it certainly wasn't up to BMW standards of refinement. Indicators worked though...:)

There's not much wrong with the 3 series BMW, Honestly; Just make sure you don't get a South African built one, same goes for Indian built Mercs!

Have you driven a manual one yet?

I would highly recommend that you go for a LONG test drive.

All newer Beemers have the pedals 'offset' to the right, which leaves no room for your left foot 'off clutch'.

In an auto, you'll never notice, but when i tuck a mate's 318Ci for it's MOT, i had to drive barefoot as there was so little room!

The best model to go for as a good all-rounder has to be the 323, there still a 2.5, tho with slightly less BHP than the 325i.

Get a 99/2000 323Ci with 60,000 on the clock for £8k, you know want to :D

• 3 weeks later...

I know exactly what you mean...as you can see from my signature.

Used to have a 325ci ('01Y) and they are damn good & I'm also thinking about swapping the '2 for something with a boot - for starters! - just haven't quite decided what I want next!

325ci/328ci/330ci?

Polo GT TDI?

Octy VRS (mk1)?

All have '+' and '-' points and it's just finding whats right for you...having had a BM I wouldn't hesitate in having another but then I've also had a VW and a Skoda:rolleyes:

Let me know how you get on:)

Funny this was bumped today.

I had the MR2 in for its 20k service, it needs two new rear tyres and then I think it's going up for sale :(

I'd LOVE to keep it as a weekend car, but obviously can't afford to.

I really would like a 325 M-Sport, perhaps not until sometime next year.

A change of car is on the horizon and by the looks of it a change of my life, priorities have changed recently ;)

Strange bump day for me as well. Saw a lovely 03 gunmetal 325ti Compact with leather parked outside work this afternoon and thought, 'hmmmm wouldn't mind that' :rubchin:

Had the later 17" multi-spoke coupe wheels (not sure whether an 'official' addition) and sports suspension - looked the business :thumbup:

Steve

Compact? COMPACT?!?! Get yourself a proper 3-series :P:rofl:

Chris

I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you when the first one came out Chris! But I quite like the last one they brought out. And I have no need or desire for a saloon, and I prefer the practicality of a hatchback :D

Steve

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Its not all as simple as that... Kelly will take over the finance on it as she loves the thing. By that time I will have saved so much money I can buy something a bit more "special"... he he.

Ok let's get this right

Kelly is a female right? and you think that by having a car that's cheaper to run, the money you have "left" over will be saved and go towards something a little better / more sporting.

You don't think that any of the savings will be invested in (Please delete as nec' :D );

Next, Ikea, B&Q, Going Places, Habitat, Matalan, TK max, hairdressers, pet shops, next (again) etc etc etc :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Good luck m8 :thumbup:

I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you when the first one came out Chris! But I quite like the last one they brought out. And I have no need or desire for a saloon' date=' and I prefer the practicality of a hatchback :D

Steve[/quote']

Likewise - I need a hatchback for the dogs. I'd been toying with the idea of a Superb but it just wouldn't work for me, thus nor would a 330d saloon although I'd love one....I have been having 'change of car thoughts' as I think I have a new job and want to treat myself.

The first one looked like they'd chopped the boot off a E36 saloon.

The newer shape one looks more like it was designed that way. The 325ti is on my list of cars to go and look at. As well as those Merc C class coupes.

As Walkie knows, I would love an MR2 but no luggage space is the killer for me. I am almost thinking W reg MR2 as weekend / drive to work car and keep the Fabia as a 'family/shopping/dog' car.

Drove an Audi TT (225) yesterday, but it didn't 'feel' very quick at all. I thought I'm not paying all that extra insurance and fuel cost for something that doesn't feel much quicker than the Fabia* and isn't significantly more comfy.

* Disclaimer: I am sure it is much quicker, it just didn't feel it!

Anyone have any ideas what I might find a nice quick car with room for two dogs?

I think the 350Z might be a good choice, bit heavy on fuel though perhaps?

Budget is 20k