Common(?) vRS 'hesitation'

The car has been re-mapped and has otherwise estandard engine components.

In first and second gears whilst accelerating on a steady part throttle at 1500-200rpm there is occasionally a slight hesitancy and small boost drop (I've a gauge fitted). I'm sure that it's become more noticeable of late and I've modified my driving accordingly.

I assume that it is due to either the DV, the MAF, the N75 or a combo of the 3.

There's always been a very *slight* hiccup when moving from a standstill, but a lot of cars do that -Throttle body?

ps. Yes, I know that turbo engines don't have instant repsonse and that there will be some non-linearity.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i get this and its doing my head in at the moment as its getting a bit worse,

have tried different tip's, cleaning throttle body, cleaning boost temp sensor, cleaning maf. now thinking about N75

MC Bodge, bluepassion and pdhealy - who remapped your car? There could be a common factor here ;)

Mine is standard. It usually happens in second gear under load at approx. 1500 rpm, only when cold.

I have a Jabba'd 1.8T Elegance and I notice a similar thing in second gear when accelerating. I have changed the MAF and checked the turbo hoses. It has become quite annoying as it interrupts an otherwise smooth power delivery.

mine acts like a right flid at times, you can be on WOT and it hesitates and loses pretty much all power for a couple seconds and makes the boost gauge flutter lots then all of a sudden it boosts properly and off it goes. the turbo has been changed and had no effect on this issue.

Mine has the problem/feature too and it isnt remapped. I have noticed that its almost exactly at 2k rpm and only if i let the fot of the accelerator just under 2k rpm.

Only happens in 1. and 2. gear(almost isnt noticabel).

Guys, IIRC when the MAF was changed on mine the problem disappeared. I don't have the car anymore so not 100% sure. Mine was also standard.

From what I gather on mine

The hesitation - due to Maf

Hunting/rev's up/down - due to dirty throttle body

17705 - due to pipe to intercooler

I don't have a cure, but for what its worth, mine does the same, with a Jabba remap.

Sometimes it's not too noticable, but other times its enough to throw you forward in the seat ... very uncomfortable for passengers. It's going in for a service next week, so I might ask if they have any ideas - they're not a Skoda dealer, but they're pretty good nonetheless.

I have a Jabba'd 1.8T Elegance and I notice a similar thing in second gear when accelerating. I have changed the MAF and checked the turbo hoses. It has become quite annoying as it interrupts an otherwise smooth power delivery.

Sounds identical to how mine is.

Ok, so we've established that it IS a common issue on older cars.

Is there a Skoda/VAG Technical bulletin regarding the phenomenon or is it a "We've never heard of that (deny-all-knowledge!)" issue?

Who do we contact for the official line?

I'd change the MAF if that was going to sort it out, although shelling out unncessarily at the moment is to be avoided as much as possible....