the door seal rattle

Just got off the phone to service manager at Winchester, explained the door seal noise problem [he hadn't come across it] and that someone got it fixed with new modified seals at Kingston. He is looking into it to see if new seals are available to him. Fingers crossed that they are, and that they do actually work for this problem.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apparently I now have to give them my chassis number, date of reg, and reg no. so they can tell whether it already has the latest seals - I shouldn't think so, but that is the next step!

Mine definitely has the old type seals according to its VIN.

I'm taking a slightly different tack. Winchester wanted to check the car out before getting in new seals, so two visits at least would be needed. Instead I contacted Saunders Abbott, Bexhill, (bit nearer anyway) and the guy there said that if he confirmed that a modified seal had come out, he would get them in for stock anyway, and fit them for me first visit unless something very obviously different was wrong with the doors.

[Anyone know about this outfit at Bexhill??]

So I roll down to them Monday 18th and let them do their stuff - will report as to success or otherwise!!

I'll try to remember to ask the service manager at Bexhill - he sounded like a co-operative kind of bloke. It is just down to my memory now!!!

Although, having said that, I'm sure if you ring them on or around the 18th, he will know by then.

They do seem to be very new so far as retrofitting is concerned, but I am going by the fact that someone on this forum had them done at Kingston upon Thames recently, and also that the Winchester service manager looked into it, and found that the changeover was just about the time my car was built - mine must have just missed them. So there must be a modified part dating from about the middle of last year.

Well, it's getting worse! Which is good. I want it rattling away like crazy when I go over to the dealer otherwise they might just "We can't hear it!" So no more lube on the seals for 11 days - it's both sides now, front only I think. AND both stop if you open the window slightly - now that must be a clue [interior air pressure maybe?] Watch this space!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just got back from Saunders Abbott Bexhill, 75 minute drive - left the car for nearly 3 hours. Came back and found all they had done was "diagnosed" the problem as doors seals (wow, I thought my wheels had fallen off) and will now order [all four] of the modified ones!! [i will insist on a courtesy car next time as there isn't lot to do for 3 hours round that place.]

However, they "lubricated" the old seals and it has improved dramatically - I'd like to know what they use - it has a strange smell, sort of a cross between a tropical fruit and acetone!

Be interesting to see how long it takes for the rattles to come back, and then see if the new seals are worth the effort - good job I'm retired or I'd be going spare by now.

Yes, it is going to be free, but they reckon they had to "diagnose" it first, before ordering seals. Still, I guess if it works it will be worth all the messing around.

By the way, for anyone suffering similar problems, the difference when they make it go away is great. Pity the special lube job isn't permanent.

Help me with this please.

Where is the rattle ? is it hearable by sticking your ear near the window frame or is it from the inside of the door ? Is it front and rear glass guides or what?

If I open my door and bang the open edge forward with the palm of my hand I get a quite clear clickety click. If I bang the top of the open door -same noise.

It seems to me to be in the door itself near where the door latch mechanisms are within the door.

Is this the sort of noise you mean. This is a desparate situation when I am told they can't hear it !!!!!

Sorry, it isn't like that really. The main sound is as if the driver's window glass is slightly loose and clattering in the frame up near the top rear corner, but if you press your hand on the glass it makes no difference. Sometimes it sounds as if the door might not be tightly closed, but it is, even tighter than when new. Again, pressing or pulling on the door makes no difference.

It is most noticeable at slower speeds 30 to 40, on slightly bumpy roads. More recently similar clatters and creaks come from the front passenger door, but of course that isn't right by my ear.

Seems worse at start-up and in cold dry conditions. Rain possibly lubricates it!!

Anyway, all four doors will be done.

It appears my car [going by the VIN] was built a little before the change to the new seals, BUT probably registered after the change. So the changeover must have been about May/June 2005 ???

Sorry, it isn't like that really. The main sound is as if the driver's window glass is slightly loose and clattering in the frame up near the top rear corner, but if you press your hand on the glass it makes no difference. Sometimes it sounds as if the door might not be tightly closed, but it is, even tighter than when new. Again, pressing or pulling on the door makes no difference.

It is most noticeable at slower speeds 30 to 40, on slightly bumpy roads. More recently similar clatters and creaks come from the front passenger door, but of course that isn't right by my ear.

Seems worse at start-up and in cold dry conditions. Rain possibly lubricates it!!

Anyway, all four doors will be done.

It appears my car [going by the VIN] was built a little before the change to the new seals, BUT probably registered after the change. So the changeover must have been about May/June 2005 ???

So is it the door seals (door with body) or the window seals (in the door) ? Just wanted to clarify as I get something in the Passangers side door, as if theres something rolling from side to side and tapping in the side pocket. Wasn't sure if it might be to do with seal at front of door (when I heard all this about door seals ;) )

I think it must be the main seal round the doors. That seems to be all they lubricated, and the rattle stopped immediately [like it did when I used my own Holts Rubber and Nylon lubricant spray on it.] They don't seem to have touched the window seals so it can't be those.

Yours sounds like there might be something flapping about inside the door panel which is what I originally thought mine was. I felt at first it was something to do with the window glass mounting or operating mechanism, but, as I said before, holding or pressing the glass into place made no difference.

Sorry for the delay in posting folks. I've been a little busy having just started a new job.

I got the door seals replaced with the modified parts a fortnight ago. They feel rather different to the old seals - silky would be one way to describe them. These ones haven't been lubricated (went through all that with the old ones!).

They DO appear to have solved the problem.

I'll keep you posted.

When I seen your post I seen the May/June but missed the 2005, I reakon a Mar 2006 car has it sorted...hopefully;) .

March 2006 certainly should be okay. The Winchester service manager seemed a little surprised mine didn't have them, till he checked the VIN.

My car was sourced by the dealer - he found one "ready made", it came down from Milton Keynes. So though I got it end of June 2005 I reckon it could have been built quite a bit earlier, maybe in the spring of 2005, I don't know how you tell.

Whatever Bexhill lubricated the old ones with seems good so far, it almost looks as if the seals have been polished - it certainly isn't WD40 !! But I know it won't last so I'm getting the new ones on the 26th.

so your car was built a Mlada Boleslav and is one of the 'affected' ones.

OK but I'm sure it isn't Mlada's fault - he just put on the bits he had! That funny smelling lube is still working - just - and I'm sure the new bits will do the job.