Stubborn Wiper Arms....any suggestions?

Paul_R

Ok so I've bought some floppy aero wipers for my Octy, late Mk4 Golf ones, genuine VAG parts. (Ordered before the group buy....D'oh)

I've spent most of today trying to get the original Octavia arms off the shafts. So far I've tried....

About half a can of WD40....Does nowt.

Wiggling......Does nowt

Heating them up a bit......Does nowt.

Cooling them down again.......Does nowt.

Wiggling more......Guess

Pulling them from behind with a bit of rope / cable......Nowt

Lightly tapping them with a small hammer......Nowt

I even went to Machine Mart and bought a 'wiper arm' puller. And bent it straight away. So it does nowt too.

Anyone any magic ideas?

Ta,

Paul

i've just had this problem i used the machine mart puller with the nut on the spindle half on (for grip) and mole grips and plumbers pliers to tighten the puller down on the spindle absolutley wrecked the puller but they came off in the end

took me two days to work a solution as the bloody things would not move any other way

• 2 years later...

Hmm ooold thread revival here...

Did anyone ever find an effective way of removing the wiper arms?

I'm trying to get my rear one off at the moment and it's stuck hard. I've soaked it with WD40 (I don't have any proper release agent), and I've wobbled and tugged at the thing for about 30mins with no movement. I'll try pushing down on the pivot like Lummox said tonight.

Is there a puller that anyone could recommend?

Driving me a bit mad that something so simple is so hard!

Helped a mate with a MK1 Leon and the wipers were an absolute pain to remove. We ended up hitting them with a hammer lol. That didn't actually help at all so in the end just used brute strength to get them off.