Creaking suspension on Octy II

Dr Zoidberg - please report back when Skoda Technical have diagnosed (if they can!!) . I just know! mine is going to return at some point.

I am very surprised at Skoda not having sorted this problem - seems really common to me so they must be aware of it. Perhaps they don't care? It bugs me all the time when it happens and it really shouldn't happen.

Olly

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does seem common enough that you'd expect them to have seen it before and know what's fixed it in the past.

Still with that not happening it's down to the dealers to tackle it on their own and as the chap from the garage said yesterday , part of the problem is that it's easy enough to get the creaks while it's being driven but impossible to tell exactly where it's coming from. When it's parked up , no amount of mushing and shoving the car gets it to happen so it's very hard to see what's wrong.

It does seem common enough that you'd expect them to have seen it before and know what's fixed it in the past.

Still with that not happening it's down to the dealers to tackle it on their own and as the chap from the garage said yesterday , part of the problem is that it's easy enough to get the creaks while it's being driven but impossible to tell exactly where it's coming from. When it's parked up , no amount of mushing and shoving the car gets it to happen so it's very hard to see what's wrong.

Do you think it could be replicated while on a rolling road?

Right , just had an interesting conversation with Skoda customer services.

The area technical manager had asked the dealer to see if they have access to another vehicle of the same spec as mine to see if that also creaks. They didn't have at the time and told me this on tuesday , but the service manager at the dealer was concerned that they were just going to declare this a "characteristic" of the vehicle and refuse to look at it any further

They now have one due in tomorrow which they are going to test to see if it also creaks , and the CS bod I spoke to said that if it doesn't creak then the Area Manager will be back for another look at my car , but if it does also creak then he won't.

So that's it , if they can find a second vehicle with the same fault they are just going to wash their hands of it and tell me to live with it.

If that turns out to be what happens then I'll be taking legal advice.

So that's it , if they can find a second vehicle with the same fault they are just going to wash their hands of it and tell me to live with it.

If that turns out to be what happens then I'll be taking legal advice.

Thats some load of rubbish, will they give that to you in writing? How can they even say its safe without knowing whats actually causing it.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sadly it seems to be the increasingly poor attitude of Skoda UK.

The dealer is quite willing to help but has no idea what the problem is , and if Skoda declare it a characterstic then they won't pay for any more warranty work to be done on it

Dropped mine off at the dealers this morning for them to try to find the creaking (and do some other work).

Picking it up Sat morning, so will keep you posted.

Well - mine has been in at the dealers for the last couple of days.

After the initial inspection, they spoke to Skoda UK and ordered up a new steering rack.

However, when they got the car up on the ramps again, they noticed some slight movement of the front sub-frame.

Apparently this is secured with three bolts on each side, and it appears that it had previously been removed, and the bolts had been put back in the wrong places. This resulted in one only being held by a couple of threads. The bolts were re-fitted in the correct place, with no need for the new steering rack.

All appears to be better now and the creaking has gone. I will of course monitor it over the next few weeks.

So the only quesion now is how the bolts got in the wrong place? My car has had the flywheel replaced under the recall. Does anyone know if the sub-frame would need to be removed to do this? Or could it have been a problem during assembly at the factory?

Well - mine has been in at the dealers for the last couple of days.

After the initial inspection, they spoke to Skoda UK and ordered up a new steering rack.

However, when they got the car up on the ramps again, they noticed some slight movement of the front sub-frame.

Apparently this is secured with three bolts on each side, and it appears that it had previously been removed, and the bolts had been put back in the wrong places. This resulted in one only being held by a couple of threads. The bolts were re-fitted in the correct place, with no need for the new steering rack.

All appears to be better now and the creaking has gone. I will of course monitor it over the next few weeks.

So the only quesion now is how the bolts got in the wrong place? My car has had the flywheel replaced under the recall. Does anyone know if the sub-frame would need to be removed to do this? Or could it have been a problem during assembly at the factory?

Anyone be able to point out where these Screws are located and what to check for in terms of what what they should be?

Pretty sure the subframe would have been removed to do the flywheel.

Thanks Stu - that helps put my mind at rest. I spent a few hours yesterday worrying about why it had previously been removed before I remembered having the DMF change. Was hoping that was the most likely reason.

@ Stu would you be able to see it without car on ramp? I assume when Andy refers to wrong bolt position it was in a different hole altogether compared to Stu's excellent ;) pic.

@ Stu would you be able to see it without car on ramp? I assume when Andy refers to wrong bolt position it was in a different hole altogether compared to Stu's excellent ;) pic.

Gaff - I'm not sure it was a different hole altogether - apologies for not making this clear in my first post. I think the problem was that there are different size bolts (not sure whether thats in terms of diameter, overall length or thread length) and they had been mixed up.

I will try to get some clarification, but I guess if this is the case it will not be immediatley apparent from an initial visual inspection.

Stu - the three bolts circled on your drawing are numbered 5, 6 and 35? Is there a corresponding parts list that will show what sizes each should be, and confirm whether they are indeed different sizes?

I hope I pictured the correct parts. How do these look.

Btw Anyone know if theres supposed to be a cover in Picture 4, there seems to be on the other side of the car in picture 3. Also any ideas what this area under the cover is used for ? Jacking maybe?

16308.attach

16309.attach

16310.attach

16311.attach

As for the bolts I don't really think you'd spot too much from a picture. Have yours been removed or loosened at all?

Not that I know of, I just thought maybe it might be noticable if bolts were in wrong positions, like in Andy's case

Yes there should be another cover.

I just noticed this while under car today, whats this specifically covering? Would I need to get another one?

I would say that Andy's were loosened when they did the DMF.

I'd get yourself a cover yes. Two possible parts -

Left - Cover 1K0 825 271 A or Plug 1K0 825 961 B

Right - Cover 1K0 825 272 A or Plug 1K0 825 962 B

I'd get yourself a cover yes. Two possible parts -

Left - Cover 1K0 825 271 A or Plug 1K0 825 961 B

Right - Cover 1K0 825 272 A or Plug 1K0 825 962 B

Whats the area exposed used for? ie why is there a need for a removable cover?