DSG or not?

ruku

iv never personally driven one, just read and watched a few vids about them, i just saw a couple of ppl say they wouldnt get the new octy if it didnt have dsg, ok yea its faster but does it feel as though your doin the work like in the manual?

I've been driving for 40 years, and all my life I've driven manual gearboxes swearing against autos - but then 3 years back I got an offer i couldn't refuse on a vauxhall omega 2.2 auto. I loved it - auto's change gear so much quicker than you can, and they aren't lazy, always changing gear at exactly the right time.

I was unhappy about the consumption however and my son pointed me at the new Turbo Diesel Octavia with DSG and I got one. The DSG gearbox is stunning - the first time I floored it, my hands almost came off the steering wheel! gear changing is so smooth, I had to watch the rev counter to notice the gear changes.

On the motorway its a real flier, accelerates well at high speeds, nothing nicer than to get a beamer up your anal then leave him for dead, and believe me you really can!

My Son has a 2 litre Seat Sport something or other and he admits he'd rather drive my car on long distance drives than his own cos its so much easier.

I have regular use of an A6 4.2 with DSG - the gearbox is great in terms of smoothness and speed of changes once you're accelerating (and with 300bhp and 4wd it accelerates rather well :D ) BUT the kickdown is appalling - takes the best part of a second to respond - very dangerous IMO if you put your foot down to get out of the way of something and it doesn't respond... maybe it's just this car though, I've heard other people with DSG say they don't have this problem. On the audi you have to double tap the accelerator to get around this, you can't just floor it and expect it to respond.

I would be tempted by one in the future. What does concern me is the reliability and maintenance issue. How long are the two clutches quoted as lasting, anyone know? Wonder what the total bill would be on a swapover!

Is there an associated electronic box of tricks that goes with the system too? Just looking out for potential weak points....

Steve

I would be tempted by one in the future. What does concern me is the reliability and maintenance issue. How long are the two clutches quoted as lasting, anyone know? Wonder what the total bill would be on a swapover!

Indeed - I'd certainly not buy one outside manufacturer's warranty! :rofl:

Chris

I've been driving for 40 years, and all my life I've driven manual gearboxes swearing against autos - but then 3 years back I got an offer i couldn't refuse on a vauxhall omega 2.2 auto. I loved it - auto's change gear so much quicker than you can, and they aren't lazy, always changing gear at exactly the right time.

I was unhappy about the consumption however and my son pointed me at the new Turbo Diesel Octavia with DSG and I got one. The DSG gearbox is stunning - the first time I floored it, my hands almost came off the steering wheel! gear changing is so smooth, I had to watch the rev counter to notice the gear changes.

On the motorway its a real flier, accelerates well at high speeds, nothing nicer than to get a beamer up your anal then leave him for dead, and believe me you really can!

My Son has a 2 litre Seat Sport something or other and he admits he'd rather drive my car on long distance drives than his own cos its so much easier.

I certainly would.

(Hi Dad!) I had a 2.0 Petrol Octavia, and thought that was great on the motorways as it was very comfortable.

Since then I've gone Diesel (in envy of my dad's Diesel car), and gone for a Seat Ibiza TDI PD 130 FR (as it was cheaper than a Fabia vRS (which I always wanted))

But, you cannot beat DSG. Admittedly I find my Seat more fun for fast driving, but the DSG takes all the thinking out of it - which I think is good as you've more to concentrate on your environment around you (not to say you can speed more) but not having to think about gearing (even though you get used to it) is a surprise.

And when you want to pick some speed in a manual - petrol or diesel, you've got to drop it a gear or two.

DSG, just plop your foot down, the car takes car of the rest ;)

I drove my dad's Octy on a trip up to the North earlier this year, and I have to admit, I didnt want to get out of the drivers seat...