Insurance queries

ross

Does anyone have experience of dealing with Elephant.co.uk? I have just got an online quote from them which is half the figure my current insurer is quoting!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Going by the old maxim - "if something is too good to be true - it probably is" is there anything I should know about elephant or the level of cover they offer?

I know one difference is the breakdown cover - but I can still buy that separately and be a lot cheaper.

BTW the quote was

Elephant.co.uk are part of Admiral Insurance which is a Managing Agent at Lloyd's of London - therefore are definitely solid in that they aren't going to fold or anything. Have no idea what they are like on claims payment but the advantage you have with a Lloyd's market policy is that if you have any complaints you can contact Lloyd's centrally who will do a lot of the legwork and pressurising for you - if they don't respond to Lloyd's they get fined by the day. :D

Policy itself looks fairly standard (I looked at it when I was looking for insurance on the vRS) but, with my quote they assumed quite high excess levels for their initial quotes. Anyway, given what I said above, they aren't bandits so if the price, coverage and excess look ok to you, i'd go for it.

Sorry to bore you (need a yawning emoticon here), but it is my job :oops: !

• Administrators

Had 12 months peacefull dealings with Elephant, then a series of months of anger and pain, nearly resulting in the ombudsman been involved for data protection and a few more gems...after 3 months of no response I get what I wanted...strange eh..price was okay, it did go up to the "normal" quote lvl after all details, business 1 etc were added on.

An alternative is to check out the discounts section and contact Adrian Flux.

Also bear in mind insurance co's are bumping premuims, I thought Direct Line were very cheap then you total up the excess and :eek:

Hope that helps.

I've found Axa's quote astonishing. My insurance for my RS is due for renewal in 3 weeks.

Paying 900 pounds at the moment with elephant.

Quite happy when Directline quoted 790 pounds.

Then I got a quote from Axa 486 pounds :shock:

I had to carry out the online quote again to be sure I hadn't made a mistake.

Elephant's renewal will have to be very impressive to keep me with them.

Axa's prices are amazingly keen at the moment. When I bought the RS last year their quote was so-so along with most others. Only Direct Line/Tesco came close to anything I considered affordable.

I was dead chuffed when my renewal from Direct Line arrived last week as the premium had dropped 70 quid....

However, Axa have knocked another ton off that! 350 inc business use. Speechless!

I used to be with Guardian Direct a few years ago and my premiums rocketed when Axa took them over. I think it's time to return to the fold though.

Zooty

I think I will have to give Axa a try in July when my insurance is due! Last year only Esure bet my insurer (direct Line , and then only by 14 quid so I didnt bother to change!) , but Axa seem to be knocking around 100 quid off Direct Lines premiums , which is nice! :lol: My insurance was

My insurance is due in mid March so I've been looking around.

Tried the AXA site for a quote and it came up with 357 ( about 100 less then my renewal figure from Directline - 450). I was amazed and then I clicked on the policy summary link and it said that the car was a Skoda Octavia SLXI, which it isn't, it's an RS.

Tried twice to get through on the freephone number but got no answer.

Then went to confused.com which searches all the insurance companies for you, got quotes ranging from 460 (Tesco's) to 690 (direct choice).

Also got quote from Budget (via confused.com) which was 586 and turned out to be a policy with AXA

It's probably worth checking that AXA has your car details correct if you have a quote from them !

J

Tried the AXA site for a quote and it came up with 357 ( about 100 less then my renewal figure from Directline - 450). I was amazed and then I clicked on the policy summary link and it said that the car was a Skoda Octavia SLXI, which it isn't, it's an RS.

[/quote:215ef93936]

Well spotted Jane!

My saved quote also states SLXI when I go back to it.

Will have to give them a bell I think.

[When I looked last year, a lot of on-line engines didn't have the new models so I used the SLXI as the closest equivalent. The quotes were considerably cheaper for the SLXI than those I could get for the RS (as we might expect)]

Just played this game.

Elephant for basic standard cover are fine and cheap but comes with very little or no extras (in my case)

after lots of looking i found TESCOS to be the best quote for the cover i reqd, fully comp with classs 1 business use 30,000 miles.

im 37 no accidents endorsements etc car is octavia elegance estate tdi

cost of insurance

Well in case anyone was interested, I ended up staying with Admiral. When I compared like with like, they managed to get within a few pounds of elephant (who I noticed are part of Admiral anyway). By paying a single cc payment instead of monthly I saved

[/quote:7782a49d0d]

Well spotted Jane!

My saved quote also states SLXI when I go back to it.

Will have to give them a bell I think.

[/quote:7782a49d0d]

Well, I spoke to Axa. The helpful chap blamed it on duff data from DVLA mapping reg no. to car type. I do recall some early RS owners saying their V5s were incorrect? My V5 was correct from the start, but somebody somewhere must have me down as an SLXI.

Suggested solution was to get a new quote leaving reg no. blank and manually selecting car type. This put

Well in case anyone was interested, I ended up staying with Admiral. When I compared like with like, they managed to get within a few pounds of elephant (who I noticed are part of Admiral anyway). By paying a single cc payment instead of monthly I saved