Recommend a laptop @

Redfab

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We bought a load of Acer in at work. Build quality is awful. Warranty/Service leaves a lot to be desired too...

Also, consider wandering into PC world with printouts from laptops direct and they'll work hard to do you a deal.

Finally, try and blag a 3 year warranty, laptops are expensive things to put right when they go t1ts up.

I have heard a few people say that the Acers are inferior quality, and thats one more so looks like tha acer is out!

Ive looked at the Sony Viao's and they are out of my price range unfortunately.

See what u mean about the dell site! Shoots up in price when you start adding.

PC world had a HP one in for

I have heard a few people say that the Acers are inferior quality, and thats one more so looks like tha acer is out!

Ive looked at the Sony Viao's and they are out of my price range unfortunately.

See what u mean about the dell site! Shoots up in price when you start adding.

PC world had a HP one in for

I've got a HP laptop under my desk that is less than 18months old that would beg to differ... :thumbdwn:

Looking on the net and ebay seems a common problem with this model though :(

Well........:rolleyes:

I have a box full of broken Toshibas, a photocopy of a cheque from Toshiba (I banked the original) and a letter of apology from Toshiba UK for them selling me a bunch of laptops that were shipped with known faults. The cheque was for a full refund for the batch of naff laptops they'd sold us. :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

The HP recommend comes from a friend who is a Compaq/HP authorised reseller.

Personally, I'd go with the FJ Siemens

Well........:rolleyes:

I have a box full of broken Toshibas, a photocopy of a cheque from Toshiba (I banked the original) and a letter of apology from Toshiba UK for them selling me a bunch of laptops that were shipped with known faults. The cheque was for a full refund for the batch of naff laptops they'd sold us. :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

The HP recommend comes from a friend who is a Compaq/HP authorised reseller.

Personally, I'd go with the FJ Siemens

Sounds like bad quality control at tosh there... but at least you got a good result from them :thumbup:

This HP i have belongs to a friend... when it does come on it's not long b4 the display becomes corrupt and it hangs.. shame really as it feels pretty well put together.

I don't think it matters which brand you go for there will be someone with a horror story... such is life :rolleyes:

Personally.. I'd go for an Apple... I love my 12" iBook :thumbup:

My mate bought a FJ Siemens through work, he works for On Stream (Gas etc) they bought a job lot and offered them cheap to their employees. Probably a tax fiddle.. Anyway, he like sit, it seems pretty solid but I didn't way to say it's the best as he's had it for less than a month and thats not long enough to make a decision on reliability.

Make sure you get an extended warranty and then you're sorted!

Going to ring laptopshop and laptopsdirect on wednesday to see if any will be willing to cut a good deal for the fujitsu siemens one. Will they expect me to bargain with them over the phone and maybe compete them against eachother or are these wholesale type companies that will not budge?

I can spec up a rock with the same processor,, 2mb ram, and a smaller but 7200rpm hd for around the same price, and that would include the 3yr warranty.

However it would only have the 15" screen and a geoforce go 7600 256mb graphics card. (losing the 17" screen and ati radeon x1800 256mb graphics of the fujitsu)

How do the geoforce go7600 and the ati x1800 compare? I am led to believe the x1800 is superior.

Evesham dont seem to be able to match,

Just had a look on the rock forums too it seems there are a few scare stories on their very own forums about unreliability and also rocks lack of dedication on getting things resolved!