Leon FR TDI 170bhp

DaveVRS

Has anyone driven the Diesel FR Leon? My brother has just got one. It doestnt seem that quick, Turbo kicks in later than my vRS. Im waiting til he runs it in to have an in gear challenge.

Hes only managing 35mpg out of it and 42mpg on motorway runs. I dont really remember my vRS being poor economy when it was new.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a totally different engine and I suspect that the lack of feeling quick is perhaps tied in with it being a smoother power delivery? If it's anything like my PD140 it'll rev much more cleanly too than the 1.9 units.

Economy wise, my 2.0tdi is a lot thirstier than my 1.9tdi Fabia was (although it was a PD100 not a PD130). I am currently averaging 43mpg over a tank, as opposed to a reliable 48 to 50mpg over a tank in the Fabia. But then again I do have a tendancy to give the Octy a bit more beans. :D

I would be very suprised if the Seat wasn't considerably faster to be honest. My Octy has been proved to be quicker than a standard Furby vRS, and given that at the time my octy only had 1300miles on the clock as opposed to 60k odd on the Furby in question . . .

HTH. :)

Yes I have driven all the VAG PD170's and they all feel pretty much the same in terms of when the turbo kicks in.

The PD170 is pretty brutal, and I certainly thought the one in the FR pulled like a train! I certainly had no problems breaking traction with the ESP turned off, and there was bags and bags of power there.

Maybe it is just that the Leon FR is IMHO on stiffer suspension (felt it to me) than the Octy VRS so you are feeling less kick.

MPG i saw about 37 when booting it to about 51 when driving nicely in the leon.

EDIT: When you say VRS do you mean furby, if so the Leon FR PD170 will eat it for breakfast, not that i had a play on a `private road` at all honest guv ;)

EDIT: When you say VRS do you mean furby, if so the Leon FR PD170 will eat it breakfast, not that i had a play on a `private road` at all honest guv ;)

Standard, orremapped it'll be pretty close/furby will pull away...! :) :)

As for 2.0 140 PD Tdi vs standard furby. nothng in i between vrs furby (std.) and Mk 5 golf 4Motion Tdi...

Standard, orremapped it'll be pretty close/furby will pull away...! :) :)

Standard not a hope in hell, trust me on this, the guy didn't stand a chance and i was yards ahead. Anyone who thinks otherwise, is i am afraid seriously deluding themselves, I have driven a furby vrs and it just won't do it.

Remapped, i still don't think the furby has a hope as the leon handles much better and is putting out 170bhp/350NM

Heavily fettled with then maybe the furby would do it, however for all the money you would spend of the furby and upgrading the suspension and brakes and the added insurance cost, you would be mad (IMHO) to buy a furby as opposed to an Octy VRS or Leon FR.

It doestnt seem that quick, Turbo kicks in later than my vRS. Im waiting til he runs it in to have an in gear challenge.

It's because diesel's are getting less diesely and they've started smoothing out the power delivery so you get a nice constant wave of torque from low down rather than a delay and then wallop of torque like you get in the Fabia. If you compare speedo for speedo, the Leon will be a lot quicker (2.5 secs to 60 according to the published stats!) :D

Chris

Standard not a hope in hell, trust me on this, the guy didn't stand a chance and i was yards ahead. Anyone who thinks otherwise, is i am afraid seriously deluding themselves, I have driven a furby vrs and it just won't do it.

Remapped, i still don't think the furby has a hope as the leon handles much better and is putting out 170bhp/350NM

Heavily fettled with then maybe the furby would do it, however for all the money you would spend of the furby and upgrading the suspension and brakes and the added insurance cost, you would be mad (IMHO) to buy a furby as opposed to an Octy VRS or Leon FR.

Nope sorry.

I said a standard furby vrs would do what you said - ie get let behind.

However remapped the furby is 170bhp and will keep up, and it takes far more power to outstrip in the way you describe. Mine keeps up from rolling start with a new cooper s with ~170bhp...

I'm sorry but I just don't believe you but do feel to *prove* me wrong about the new cooper S.

A golf GT TDI can out do a honda CTR on an inclined motorway slip road, from a rolling start so unless you are saying your remapped furby can do that i just don't believe it.

Anyway without being harsh on the furby VRS, the stock suspension set up is too soft and the brakes are only average and it struggles to put the power down as stock.

As soon as you have to spend money on these parts the Leon FR is in the same price range as your altered furby. I see the fact that these parts are not up to it proven by the number of drivers here who have upgraded them on the furby.

The furby is a fine car, but I'm sorry just no. Besides which you take your £500 or whatever notes to upgrade the furby and get the FR driver to do the same. I know which will win then too.

I mean come, seriously, you have a re-mapped car, great, the FR has a warranty that is still valid as stock and has the potential for a remap too. Much as the furby VRS is a nice enough car, it isn't going to beat everything on the road.

I'm sorry but I just don't believe you but do feel to *prove* me wrong about the new cooper S.

A golf GT TDI can out do a honda CTR on an inclined motorway slip road, from a rolling start so unless you are saying your remapped furby can do that i just don't believe it.

Anyway without being harsh on the furby VRS, the stock suspension set up is too soft and the brakes are only average and it struggles to put the power down as stock.

As soon as you have to spend money on these parts the Leon FR is in the same price range as your altered furby. I see the fact that these parts are not up to it proven by the number of drivers here who have upgraded them on the furby.

The furby is a fine car, but I'm sorry just no. Besides which you take your

I would correct your inaccuracies as i was talking about the new PD170 GT TDI and a 535i :rofl:, however you should have realised:

- I don't actually like the furby so don't really give a toss, i was merely answering his point.

- Don't ever feed a troll :P

Anyway you keep enjoying taking every car on the road "Like a King*" in your remapped furby VRS and i'll keep my eyes out for you pulling away from the police cars at speed.

*Sorry Mil, but it is such a good phrase.

I would correct your inaccuracies as i was talking about the new PD170 GT TDI, however you should have realised:

- I don't actually like the furby so don't really give a toss, i was merely answering his point.

- Don't ever feed a troll :P

Anyway you keep enjoying taking every car on the road "Like a King*" in your remapped furby VRS and i'll keep my eyes out for you pulling away from the police cars at speed.

*Sorry Mil, but it is such a good phrase.

You may of been talking about a 170bhp GT Tdi, well done. I was taking about a different car. Iwas referring to yashmicat's post - Not too many inaccuracies there...:P :rofl:

I do enjoy a blast every so often, however these were easy tests to carry out as the brother in question lives in switzerland and we make many commutes through the joys of Germany de-restricted routes...:thumbup:

As for you getting annoyed, and showing your biased and unreliable comments - hahaha

HTH :)

Unreliable and annoyed, erm ok i have driven the cars that were asked about in the original question and posted my reply.

I said it would kill a furby, not it won't keep up with Mr Sonic1980's remaped furby supercar! I mean come on you claim you can keep almost up with a 535i, don't get me started.

I'm not annoyed, I just don't know why people think the furby VRS is the best car ever and i don't know why some claim it can outrun pretty much every other car on the road

Unreliable and annoyed, erm ok i have driven the cars that were asked about in the original question and posted my reply.

I said it would kill a furby, not it won't keep up with Mr Sonic1980's remaped furby supercar! I mean come on you claim you can keep almost up with a 535i, don't get me started.

I'm not annoyed, I just don't know why people think the furby VRS is the best car ever and i don't know why some claim it can outrun pretty much every other car on the road

hee hee

It isnt the best car ever, but capable none the less. It can do what I said, and I said it pulled a length on the 535i. S plate 240bhp version, 3.5l V8 automatic...

As for every other car on the road? Who said that? Dont taint me with other peoples misconceptions...

ets just agree to disagree shall we? Or cant you even do that?

No i can agree to disagree, you like the Furby and I don't. I'm fine on that.

My point was that in my expereince the Leon FR PD170 does pull clean away from a standard Furby VRS, and i think the original poster find the FR to be as quick as his furby when he has comparisons :)

Going back to the BMW 5 series bit......:rofl:

I have had some fun against one of those (530 in this case) and from 40 -110 it pull only a car length on my Furby vRS. I was quite impressed as I only had a pipercross filter and pd160 intake (remap in april!).

The other 'run-ins' I've had was with some big S80 Volvo Diesel who was very upset when he couldn't keep up as was a Saab 9-5 diesel on the M50!

When will Skoda drivers ever grow up?? :D