c.a.i fitment

hi i have been looking at variuos cai's and settled for the pipercross one ,i just have one question, how do you fit it, does the filter just pop through a hole in the inner wing or do you have to feed the pipe through and then fit the filter form under the wheel arch ?

I think you're going to have to post up a pic.....there a couple of basic types of CAI.

1) tube fitted onto MAF and then filter down around head lamp area.

2) heat shield/box arrangement with filter inside...air feed using existing input a la standard fairbox.

Both require removal of standard airbox and connection of a pipe to the MAF.

TBH if your'e looking for more power with that you'll probably break even maybe even lose some (due to it sucking in hot air )however if noise is your thing then that will be great.

if power is your goal you should do some research on smoothing out your airbox and fitting a panel filter as there's more gains from doing this mod apparantly

have a search i think you'll find that you may change your mind

unless it's all about wooshes and growls

Ah Ha!!! Nice One!!! What's The Score With It Suking In Warm Air Will I Have To Fit A Cold Air Feed , If So Whats The Best Place To Put It ,had One On My Mini Just Fitted A Tube From The Btm Of The Engine Bay To The Filter, not to botherd about gaining bhp as long as i don't lose any !!!

i'm not sure about the finer point's of it but when i looked into it i decided against

cos of advice from here

try the search button at the top

these engine's are fine crafted bits of kit which have been designed by clever people who know about air flow and heat

who are we to go sticking big cone things and pipe's that can get hot and throwing all their time and effort out the window

i'm sure someone will be along to correct me if i am wrong

but i will say do your research and if stuck as on here somewill know what you want to know

hi i have been looking at variuos cai's and settled for the pipercross one ,i just have one question, how do you fit it, does the filter just pop through a hole in the inner wing or do you have to feed the pipe through and then fit the filter form under the wheel arch ?

I just reverted to standard airbox today after the grief that a well-known tuning house predicted I'd suffer, duly happened. So now I know why they don't sell these.

I just reverted to standard airbox today after the grief that a well-known tuning house predicted I'd suffer, duly happened. So now I know why they don't sell these.

Can I please ask what grief, and which well known tuner told you they were no good? Also what CAI had you fitted that caused whatever problem you refer to?

They are sold because they work, and whilst the maker may fit a standard air box, please remember that when you modify a car then it is not running as it was when it left the maker, and if the extra mapping/modifications requires more or colder denser air, then where better to get it from than behind the bumper, and as for fitting a standard air box and then attaching an additional air feed, where does the additional cold air feed go, but down into the cold air area behind the bumper.

Please enlighten me.

i don't have mine as bling sa i don't shout about it and don't show it off, i don't show off anything on my car at all and infact prefer it to be a dirty looking tractor mobile that does nowt but blend in then scoot off down the road quick sharp :)

Can I please ask what grief, and which well known tuner told you they were no good? Also what CAI had you fitted that caused whatever problem you refer to?

They are sold because they work, and whilst the maker may fit a standard air box, please remember that when you modify a car then it is not running as it was when it left the maker, and if the extra mapping/modifications requires more or colder denser air, then where better to get it from than behind the bumper, and as for fitting a standard air box and then attaching an additional air feed, where does the additional cold air feed go, but down into the cold air area behind the bumper.

Please enlighten me.

I ran Jabbasport's induction kit for a few months (no other engine mods yet). To be fair to Jabbasport, when I expressed concern immediately about the loud "Darth Vader breathing" sound effects you get in the cabin, they did offer a refund if I went back straight away, but I decided instead to run it for a while. Meanwhile I've also been having some work done by AmDTechnik outside Oxford. On a visit there late last year they warned me about the high likelihood of the induction kit killing the MAF (I could not begin to repeat the technical explanation given to me by them about how - they seem to be in a different world of technical knowledge), then just a couple of days ago I started getting some very odd behaviour from the car with interimittent but massive loss of power. Yesterday's visit to AmD diagnosed 5 fault codes, with a common root in a dead MAF. On taking the MAF out, it was found to be utterly full of sooty dirt! The standard airbox went straight back on with a new MAF, and the car feels much better sorted for it.

I can't comment on whether all induction kits are the same. If you like lots of wooshy sound effects in the cabin (for me, so tedious on a motorway run) and it's reliable for you, then fair enough, but for me, never again. I don't regret trying it, but would never recommend it to anyone else.

I ran Jabbasport's induction kit for a few months (no other engine mods yet). To be fair to Jabbasport, when I expressed concern immediately about the loud "Darth Vader breathing" sound effects you get in the cabin, they did offer a refund if I went back straight away, but I decided instead to run it for a while. Meanwhile I've also been having some work done by AmDTechnik outside Oxford. On a visit there late last year they warned me about the high likelihood of the induction kit killing the MAF (I could not begin to repeat the technical explanation given to me by them about how - they seem to be in a different world of technical knowledge), then just a couple of days ago I started getting some very odd behaviour from the car with interimittent but massive loss of power. Yesterday's visit to AmD diagnosed 5 fault codes, with a common root in a dead MAF. On taking the MAF out, it was found to be utterly full of sooty dirt! The standard airbox went straight back on with a new MAF, and the car feels much better sorted for it.

I can't comment on whether all induction kits are the same. If you like lots of wooshy sound effects in the cabin (for me, so tedious on a motorway run) and it's reliable for you, then fair enough, but for me, never again. I don't regret trying it, but would never recommend it to anyone else.

The sooty dirt that covered the map, can only come via the filter or one of the joints of the CAI, and knowing the very good quality of Jabba sport equipment, I find it hard to believe that the filter had let that amount of dirt into contact with the maf?

Perhaps the dirt was already there on the maf before fitting the Jabba CAI , did you clean the maf when fitting the CAI????

Have you been in contact with Jabba about this problem, as I am sure they would be concerned if one of their products was defective in any way.

Several panel filters have been known to cause a problem with the maf if they are over oiled, but I have not heard of a problem with the Jabba CAI before.

Has anyone else ?????

I had no problems with a Jabba CAI even with a extra cold air intake pipe aded.

Still going strong with an IHI now.

This must have been at least 10ks worth of mileage.

My Octy was the original developement car.

The type of filter cna contribute to MAF failures....K&N have a reputation for bein fover oiled but the Jabba one are very lightly oled..so much so you could even tell..even to the touch.

Also the area you drive through etc will contribute..say through lot sof building site which a dusty etc.

was it very loud!!!!or did it give the car a nice deep throaty subaru ish note under acceleration,i had a pipercross on my mini for 3 yrs no probs at all even washed it twice and re oiled it!!!! that was't to loud at all ,can you get filters that don't need oiling

was it very loud!!!!or did it give the car a nice deep throaty subaru note under acceleration

When the kit first went on one of the things I liked was the change to the acceleration note, which is why I pondered for a while on whether to keep it in spite of the cabin sound effects. But, recently it had started to sound rough and loud, now you mention it.

I'm not looking to start a blame game here. This is just the experience I had, and noone will ever know for sure whether the MAF was on the way out before the kit was fitted anyway. I don't have any ill will towards Jabbasport, they're a very helpful bunch but at a 5 hour round trip, too far away for just popping round to look at these things, AmD are much closer.