Is a strut brace worthwhile?

Diavolo

those things are purely cosmetic, and wont add anything to the handling of the car at all!

Thats not strictly true.

The strut brace only comes into it's own when you "make progress". It tightens up the steering and it's more solid when pushed meaning you have more "feel" in the turn, and therefore more control if you know how to use it.

However I agree you won't notice it's there on your way to the supermarket. Put the

The strut brace only comes into it's own when you "make progress". It tightens up the steering and it's more solid when pushed

you really think there is that much 'flex' in a car chassis??

i'll admit, you often see them fitted to rally cars etc, but a strut brace is there to stop the suspension turret from bending if the car comes down heavy on a bump or hits a rock or somthing, i doubt very much if anybody will ever put thier car through enough abuse to ever actually benefit from fitting a strut brace.

well at least if you have one fitted to your car, if all else fails you could allways tow somthing with it:rofl:

Thats not strictly true.

The strut brace only comes into it's own when you "make progress". It tightens up the steering and it's more solid when pushed meaning you have more "feel" in the turn, and therefore more control if you know how to use it.

However I agree you won't notice it's there on your way to the supermarket. Put the

I don't think it'll do much harm to fit one but it would be a long way down my priority list.

Have a search or a look at the front suspension bushes, especially the front wishbone rear bush. Then do a search for the SEAT Cupra ones... There's a bit of a difference, huh? Problem is it's labour intensive to change them. So ideally, you need an independent good-guy who's got the right tools.

I think my priority list would be...

1. Eibachs and shocks (or coilovers if that floats your boat).

2. Jabba rear ARB.

3. Front wishbone rear bushes replaced with SEAT Cupra ones.

4. Maybe then do the front wishbone front bushes with powerflex bits.

5. Consider braces. Though IMO a bottom brace or ladder is likely to be more worthwhile than a strut-top brace.

I've currently ticked off items 1 and 2 on my list, considering 3. As my car's used on the road only, I might stop at that point.

J.

Adding a strut brace makes a three sided square, the stability does not come in till you add the 4th side IMHO, you do notice a 'slight' difference in turn in, but it aint gonna rock your world,

For £50 its not too bad a mod, combine it with the other geometry mods and it works out nicely.

you really think there is that much 'flex' in a car chassis??

i'll admit, you often see them fitted to rally cars etc, but a strut brace is there to stop the suspension turret from bending if the car comes down heavy on a bump or hits a rock or somthing, i doubt very much if anybody will ever put thier car through enough abuse to ever actually benefit from fitting a strut brace.

:

We'll I've just taken mine off my car after 2 years on and I must say that the difference is quite noticeable, even on my now standard suspension. There is actually quite a lot of flex in the fabia's chassis, and this is felt when you make some sharper moves with the steering wheel. Without the strut brace, there is definitely more of a delay before the car (and suspension) loads up and begins to tip into a corner. With a strutbrace, the two suspension turrets under the bonnet are held a fixed distance apart, increasing rigidity. This is why a car with a very stiff chassis and suspension set up with seem very direct in comparison.

The other difference I noticed with the strutbrace was that the steering felt more meaty - it feels noticably more woolly and vague without it. And it looks good in the engine bay...

All in, for the money I think it is a great mod.

As standard I found the vRS (and several other VAG cars TBH) to 'wobble' at speed - this always made me uneasy and the brace removed it completely. Handling wise I can't really tell a difference.