MFD2 for 249 quid + 40 postage

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's dead easy, honestly. Though you may have seen me agonising about the details further up the thread, I needn't have worried :) I had the additional complication with owning a 2007 model year car, but that was just a minor thing.

It looks fabulous when installed!

Dave.

Hi,

might sound like a stupid question but after reading the various threads and reading Stu's Website regarding the installation of an MFD2, do i need any techinal equipment to re code the MFD2? i've just purchased one from E-bay for £299.99 and am getting a car kit installed too, killing two birds with one stone.

what will i require and where would i get it?

Sorry to be a pain in the a*@e but better safe than sorry.......

Cheers Peter

Peter,

It's plug and play, though there are comments on Stu's site about recoding the on-board computer, I'm not fully clear on the ramifications on not doing it!

Perhaps Stu can enlighten us all :)

Dave.

The car uses a CANBUS controller to map all of the controllers fitted to the car. The Navigation unit is another controller in it's own right, plug it in and the car will see it and realise it's not programmed to have it - it will cause exception to this and give a fault code, not the end of the world and won't stop the unit working.

If you happen to get a unit that was from a car with different options to that of yours you may have a problem there too, especially if it's coded for DSP as I doubt you'll get any sound from it.

In short it should work but get it coded when you can.

Hi both myself and my friend both have Phatboxes attached to our MFD2s and they work great. Just have to upgrade the firmware to the latest version in the Phatbox if it has not been done already. It is unfortunately a bit too big to fit in the "audio cupboard" unless you cut a slot for the cartridge.

John

Great info and again much appreciated, where could i get it coded? are there specific locations where this can be done?

cheers

Peter

Someone with the VAG-COM software could do it for you.

Hi both myself and my friend both have Phatboxes attached to our MFD2s and they work great. Just have to upgrade the firmware to the latest version in the Phatbox if it has not been done already. It is unfortunately a bit too big to fit in the "audio cupboard" unless you cut a slot for the cartridge.

John

Just out of interest where did you mount it? I plan to screw through the material on the lefthand side of the boot. It would have happened today but the weather was rubbish.

PS. What did you configure your Phatbox as? I plan to tell it is a VW Phatbox.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

just a word of warning to anyone potientially looking to purchase an MFD2 from E-BAY. i purchased one from niki777 on E-BAY on the 13th of march, after 2 weeks and 5 e-mails asking for a progress report, still no sat nav nor reply. i eventually contacted E-Bay complaining as 17 days later, i'd received nothing. this seller based in Lithuania requires payment through bank transfer which i was jubious of but still went ahead. i eventually receieved the unit which was execellently packaged and after guidance from VRStu on fitting got it installed without problems tonight. the unit looks great and with the exception of the missing new trim which i still have to get. i tried the unit out tonight and found it difficult to get what i thought was basic addresses but again thanks to VRStu advice found out that i'd been sent a 2002 disc even after that the seller told me it was a 2006 disc.

so lesson learnt for me and i'd thought i'd share it with others on the site.

one question i do have is where can i get a 2006-7 disc?