MFD2 for 249 quid + 40 postage

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my cheapo £249 eBay satnav installed last night, looks great. Not fully happy with the location of the antenna as the SatNav sometimes reports there is no fix when using the compass view. I might put a hole in the dash mounted storage box and put it in there, anyone else tried that?

Dave.

What are people using as trim removal tools? My trim is still out to allow for some modifications as I don't have the official tools to remove them again.

Cheers,

Dave.

I pulled mine out at the bottom with my fingers and a thin bladed screwdriver at the top. No marks or damage if you are very careful.

I sometimes get a 2D fix but I dont think that has to do with the antenna location. Its more the weather/satellite position.

Thanks flynntech :)

Another question to 2007MY owners, I've just tested the boot mounted CD player on mine and as anticipated, I get the buzzing sound due to the change in earthing arrangements. Stu's guide here Octavia-vRS.com - MFD2 Install Guide tells me I need to make some changes to the cabling. The guide is very clear on what I need to do:

Pin 3 on the MFD2 does not give a satisfactory earth route to the CD Changer. To cure this it is necessary to remove the Aux In Socket earth (Brown) from the Blue Multipin Plug Connection Pin 2 and insert the CD Changer earth (Black). You will also lose the function of the Aux In Socket as the MFD2 does not support it.

My question is, do the various cables simply 'unclip' from the multipin plug connection, or do I have to resort to cutting and joining? I'm going to tackle this on the weekend!

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks Stu, so the black cable (and insert the CD Changer earth (Black). ) is already loose and can be pushed into the multipin plug in place of where the brown one was?

Sorry for stoopid questions, I'm sure it's a lot more obvious when I can take a look in daylight at the weekend :thumbup:

Cheers,

Dave.

Ah I see, it's just when you said tape it back to the loom I assumed that was because it was now redundant for some reason. So it's dead simple then, no need for me to worry about it being complicated. I just need to swap the brown and black cables :thumbup: Perhaps it's worth adding that to your guide for d**k heads like me :rofl:

Cheers,

Dave.

Sorry mate - perhaps I didn't make it completely clear. I left the MP3 connection one out (Taped back) and swapped the position of the CD Earth into the MP3 connection Earth.

I was however wondering about one thing, on the old Stream unit I used to get it displaying the icons for the fan & rear screen heater for a few seconds after you pressed the button. I don't get this on the MFD2, is that correct, or is this one of the things that you need to set up with VAG Com etc?

correct, none of them including the parking sensors are supported by the mfd2 unfortunately :(

All installed now, you were right, the cabling was a little fiddley but I managed without any swearing. All we need now is a way of somehow enabling the aux socket in the jumbo box! (though probably not possible now).

Anyone installed a Phatbox on their MFD2? That's my next project, there seems plenty of room in the boot cubby hole, the rack that the CD is mounted on has a few spare slots so I wonder if it's possible to install a phatbox in there? I know you can't use the CD and the Phatbox as it's all or nothing.

Thanks for the help Stu :)

Dave.

The SatNav is a Skoda OEM part and available to buy from the dealers so there wouldn't be any cause for a warranty issue.

Tony (fluffmeister) has the Phatbox and IMHO a very tasty bit of kit. There was a pretty recent thread on here where ho posted up so info about it.