Blown Turbo??

Hi all, just searching for the answer of what happened to me tonight, and came accross this site!.

Was driving home tonight in my 53 totally standard Fabia VRS, someone pulled infront of me so I slowed to about 15mph, dropped to 2nd and put my foot down and there was a 'pop'(!). Driving on, I could see smoke in my rear window (unsure of colour as it was dark), and the power was decidedly on/off if you know what i mean, jerky, had to keep it in the low revs and it wouldn't go much over 40mph without complaining (was on a dual carridgeway .... oops).

I think the turbo blew, but i'm not sure after searching here, may have been a pipe came off the turbo??. But can anyone advise where the turbo is, and how i access it to check the pipe?

Thanks!!!!

p.s. 3 days from selling it too, how cruel!!!!

sorry for double posting, also put this in newbies forum

Symptoms post the pop makes it sound like a boost hose to me. I believe you would know if the turbo had popped as it would be really really rough. Popping hoses is far more common compared to blown turbos - they're strong bits of kit compared to the boost pipe clips. :)

turbo pipes run from the turbo under (and behind) the engine, under the driver's side chassis rail, into the intercooler behind the front bumper on driver's side, then up into the engine bay by the fuel filter (by driver's side front part of engine vbay) and then connecting to the inlet manifold on the left hand side back part of the engine. Remove the engine cover and start at the manifold end as this seems to blow often - There's a 90 degree bend there which clips into the boost pipe which heads down into the intercooler. If all is OK in the engine bay then you'll need to get the car in the air somehow and get underneath, remove the engine tray and inspect the clips into the intercooler (both ends) and the connections up to the turbo. :)

Somebody I know, who shall remain nameless in this example, tw@ted it down a bus lane only to be greeted by a HUGE POP BANG and the biggest cloud of Grotbag intro white smoke you have ever seen - oil in the exhaust due to engine/turbo failure.

That was a 'second gear special' as well

If the car's running happily (albeit with no boost) then it sounds like it's the turbo pipe to me. Normally you'll get a bit of smoke when this happens, but not continually.

10 minute job to get the car up in the air, remove the undertray and reattach the hose. I say 10 minutes.. that's how long it took the AA patrol to do mine :P

If you've got a lot of smoke out of the exhaust (and I mean so much that if you fail to notice it then you shouldn't have a driving licence) then it's something a bit more serious.

Just been to the garage, and they've confirmed the pipe has come off the turbo ... phew ... turns out the 'orrible noise was the pipe rubbing on the alternator belt, so it may well have a hole in it now. But rather a new turbo pipe, than a new turbo!!!.

Thanks for all the advice guys, if only i had my own garage pit, probably could've sorted it myself ;)

Just been to the garage, and they've confirmed the pipe has come off the turbo ... phew ... turns out the 'orrible noise was the pipe rubbing on the alternator belt, so it may well have a hole in it now. But rather a new turbo pipe, than a new turbo!!!.

Thanks for all the advice guys, if only i had my own garage pit, probably could've sorted it myself ;)

big sigh of releif eh? ;) glad it's an easy cheap fix :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

bringing up an old post as didn't want to murder a kitten!

at lunch my boost hose that runs along the bottom of the car to the intercooler has popped off where it connects to the small elbow to the bottom of the SMIC.

where its dropped onto the floor at 45mph or so its worn the edge away..

does anyone know how much a new pipe would be not to expensive i hope? or whether i could bodge it back on with a jubilee as i dont fancy buying a new one when in a week or so im having a FMIC put on.

will driving around with the boost hose not connected harm the turbo?? which is also getting changed for a stage two very soon but i'd rather not blow it and then have bits of it destroying my engine internals!!

awesome! i was asking luke at jabba about it and he said it would be difficult to bodge as well due to it connectint to an elbow and the end worn down too! i think if i bodge it it'll prob blast of again with the slightest bit of booting!

hmmmm will have to arm my self with cable ties,jubilies and sealent!! haha

awesome! i was asking luke at jabba about it and he said it would be difficult to bodge as well due to it connectint to an elbow and the end worn down too! i think if i bodge it it'll prob blast of again with the slightest bit of booting!

hmmmm will have to arm my self with cable ties,jubilies and sealent!! haha

gaffa tape mod ;)

My VRS has just started to do this too!

Only once has the plastic pipe elbow on the drivers side front popped off. The metal clip holding it on is hopeless. The boost woosh is a bit louder, which I assume is "leaking" air. The car feels a little slower.

I can push it back on but it slowly works its way back up, but not enough to pop it off.

Once it was rubbing on the alternator belt and it rubbed off a tiny piece of plastic

Another visit to the garage for a replacement pipe and clip.....

God bless you for saving them kittens!

Trouble is, he's murdered the "bumping old threads" kittens now. :rofl:

What you need are 8 bar marine grade boost clips, but that might be O.T.T. ;) At least I know I am never going to pop a boost hose in the near future. (so when I get those symptoms I know it's serious! :()