Noise after starting car

Hi

My 54 plate vrs makes a horrible noise after starting, like the exhaust is blowing badly, but after a few minutes this noise stops and the car is totally quiet. Think the noise is coming from the front of the car..... Any ideas?

Graeme

Could that be the charcoal filter? I don't have one, so only making a guess, but I think it makes a ticking sort of noise, so maybe not the exhaust blowing type of sound.

Or maybe next door's cat was under the car :-)

Its the secondary air pump,this blows excess air into the inlet manifold, and runs for about 2 mins after starting. The purpose of which is to heat the cat up to working temp quickly. It is quite normal to hear a noiseduring this period.

Mine is loud enough to hear on start up sometimes.

It varies between temperature i think as it sounds louder when its really cold

Thanks guys

Its noisy enough to turn heads when starting from cold!

Looks like its off to the dealer then....

I'll find out how good the Skoda warranty is, never had to use it yet!

Graeme

• 9 months later...
I know this is a very old thread, but dont suppose there was any answer to this?

Mines ok but my friends 04 vrs had a bad noise on start up and it got louder turned out the secondary air pump was the prob the rivetts had rotted and the fan had started to come apart hence the blowing kind of noise

Although my car also has a noise on start up on cold, it sounds nothing like that (but it's great to actually hear the noise that is being discussed!).

It sounds more like starter "over run" and only lasts for a second or two at most. It only happens with the first start of the day too.

Does/has anybody have/had this?

Although my car also has a noise on start up on cold, it sounds nothing like that (but it's great to actually hear the noise that is being discussed!).

It sounds more like starter "over run" and only lasts for a second or two at most. It only happens with the first start of the day too.

Does/has anybody have/had this?

Have you tried it when your outside the car with the bonnet up. Then they sound loud