Clutch knock when changing gear?

Hi all,

Noticed something new with the vRS. When I change gear from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd too, when I depress the clutch there's a slight 'knock' from what I can only think is the clutch. If I adjust the pedal timings so the power is taken away (letting off the throttle) before I press the clutch pedal the noise is far less and sometimes does not happen at all.

It's almost like there's slack in the drivetrain somewhere and pressing the clutch is allowing something to sit back into place or something.

It's worse setting off up hills as I'm applying more throttle in the lower gears and the car has less momentum meaning I can't be as clever with the pedal timings.

Any ideas as to what this is guys? Engine mount perhaps?

Thanks,

Chris.

there is a Skoda technical service bulletin for a knocking noise , this involves lubricating the gearbox mounting with a special grease

it sometimes works , sometimes it doesn't

there is a Skoda technical service bulletin for a knocking noise , this involves lubricating the gearbox mounting with a special grease

it sometimes works , sometimes it doesn't

I think the lubrication fix was to cure a clonking over bumps. The problem here sounds exactly like a niose I had. It got progressively worse over time and after many attempts (including modified gear selector linkages and the g/box mount lubrication fix) turned out to be a failing CV joint that was emitting a 'clunk' every time power take-up occured after changing gear. Get your dealer to check for CV joint wear...

This happens when the power is taken away....when you press the clutch to change gear there's the clunk, like once the power is no longer going through the drivetrain it's settling back into place or something. It's worse when there's more power to be taken away like if you press the clutch without fully letting off the throttle first. It sounds close to the cabin, like just on the other side of the bulkhead behind the glovebox.

my clutch hydraulic pipe used to knock against the chassis leg , just took a small bend of the pipe to cure that fault

Aha......never thought of that. I'll take a look. :D

Thanks mate.

Chris.

Hmm.....had a thought.......I can make the knock happen, albeit to a much lesser degree by simply pressing the clutch when stationary and in neutral. I have to press it fast though but the same noise happens, just more quietly. Slam the pedal down and 'knock'.

• 2 years later...

Chrispy if you found the problem can you post the answer I have a knock like yours in all gears and also when stood & puting it in gear feels like a lot of slack in drivetrain somewhere, and would like to thank everyone for help with a non charging problem turned out to be the infamous broken blue wire in front of gearbox pity I had already spent

Edited by bonehead
wrong spelling

These Fabia's certianly have their share of noises don't they.

May I also ask about my knock? It happens when slowing down for a junction and putting the car into 1st gear at about 2MPH - I get a single dull bump. No other gears or other sounds - just the bump as I go into 1st. Any ideas?

It could even be the rear console bushes on the front wishbones ( the wifes have gone ) should be doing it this w/e if weather is OK, it makes a rubbery squeak as you apply and take off the gas. hope you find out what it is. Cheers - Stuart.

• 3 months later...
Hi all,

Noticed something new with the vRS. When I change gear from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd too, when I depress the clutch there's a slight 'knock' from what I can only think is the clutch. If I adjust the pedal timings so the power is taken away (letting off the throttle) before I press the clutch pedal the noise is far less and sometimes does not happen at all.

It's almost like there's slack in the drivetrain somewhere and pressing the clutch is allowing something to sit back into place or something.

It's worse setting off up hills as I'm applying more throttle in the lower gears and the car has less momentum meaning I can't be as clever with the pedal timings.

Any ideas as to what this is guys? Engine mount perhaps?

Thanks,

Chris.

Hi, I'm driving Skoda Octavia Scout 1.8TSI and I have the same problem. Any progress on the investigation?

Hi there, Welcome to the site, this is the Fabia 1 forum, your question might be better suited to the Octavia II forum :thumbup:

Hi, thank you, but I think that the problem is general with the clutch, so it is for all Skoda Models... my problem is 1:1 like described here

• 1 year later...

Same thing here.

Fabia Classic 1.4 8v Yreg 2001

When driving slowly, pressing on and off the gas in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, Clunk

On and off the brakes when crawling in traffic. Clunk

And if I'm going round bumpy corners that makes me feather the accelerator. Clunk Clunk Clunk!!

Passed it's MOT 1 week ago so I'm thinking they should have picked up on engine/gearbox mounts, anti-rollbar, CV joints etc....

Really annoying especially in the town when crawling and everybody is looking at the car like it's an alien!!!