Apple Laptops........................

im adam- andys son, and im after a new apple laptop....

2ghz intel core duo processor...

a gig of ram

super drive (dvd rw)

80gb hdd

firewire

and anything else cool....

also i would need iwork

anyone got any ideas about where is the best place to get one?!

cash waiting!

Adam

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im adam- andys son, and im after a new apple laptop....

2ghz intel core duo processor...

a gig of ram

super drive (dvd rw)

80gb hdd

firewire

and anything else cool....

also i would need iwork

anyone got any ideas about where is the best place to get one?!

cash waiting!

Adam

I am considering getting an Apple laptop in the near future but i am still not fully convinced that the high cost can be justified, a similar spec PC laptop would be significantly less from what i have seen.

From what i have seen the prices are the same wherever you go. If you do find anywhere chaep then i would like to know but if i was getting one i would go to my local apple retailer or get one from Apples online store.

HTH

Rob

Apple refurbs are always a good buy if anyone wants any more info please PM me as im at work now so im sure that they can spy on me if they wanted to ;)

Yeah, apple refurb shop comes highly recommended. I too want a MBP, but I just can't afford it :(

Thats what i was having aplay with in my local store the other day.

I think it was the

Thats what i was having aplay with in my local store the other day.

I think it was the £1349 one :eek:

You can get an Acer laptop with same/better spec for £650:eek:

Better spec? Windows Vista? :rofl:

Admittedly the Mac's are expensive but you get what you pay for & they last a lot longer. The Acer may have more 'numbers' but I really doubt that it will be built to the same quality. I have an eight year old iBook. It still does most of what I want to do, had WiFi from day one, runs the latest OS & has been absolutely faultless. Think about an eight year old PC laptop; basically would be just junk now.

I think Mac desktops are good, sometimes they are a better option than a PC but with the laptops there's no question; Mac every time.

What is the battery life on the Acer? Nearly every PC laptop I've experienced it's only a couple of hours tops.

Also agree with others. Go to the Apple store. Mac prices are the same everywhere. Refurb store is defo worth a try if you're patient.

Admittedly the Mac's are expensive but you get what you pay for & they last a lot longer. The Acer may have more 'numbers' but I really doubt that it will be built to the same quality. I have an eight year old iBook. It still does most of what I want to do, had WiFi from day one, runs the latest OS & has been absolutely faultless. Think about an eight year old PC laptop; basically would be just junk now.

I think Mac desktops are good, sometimes they are a better option than a PC but with the laptops there's no question; Mac every time.

What is the battery life on the Acer? Nearly every PC laptop I've experienced it's only a couple of hours tops.

Also agree with others. Go to the Apple store. Mac prices are the same everywhere. Refurb store is defo worth a try if you're patient.

As a PS I'd have to agree - had a PowerBook before the current one, bought in 2001 which was exceptional...until my 1 year old smashed it to pieces when I wasn't looking!!! Thank goodness for contents insurance ;)

Vista seems to be just about catching up to what Mac OS X was in 2001 - just as v. 10.5 is about to come out...I will be upgrading as it will prob. take Microsoft another 7 years to catch up :D

I don't recall saying anything about what OS the ACer was running;)

I would love a mac book pro and may actually get one if i can just get my head round the idea of paying twice as much for something that does the same job, admittedly in a better easier way(allegedly) but is it worth the extra?

If the standard mac book came with a bigger screen (13" is too small in my opinion) i would maybe consider one of those to fill my requirements, as it is the only way of getting a bigger screen is to spend a lot more and get the mac book pro.

AAAArrrrrrrrrghghghgh:mad:

I want one but they are so expensive. Would i really be amazed if i went to a mac or would i be thinking of what i could have done with the cash i could have saved if i had bought a laptop pc???

Mac's arent expensive anymore though if you compare on a true like for like they are about the same price. I know its sligtly old now and writted by a mac magazine but they do a pretty good comparison if you ask me

Macworld: News: Opinion: Updating the MacBook Pro-Dell comparison

How does the original MacBook compare to a similar Windows notebook? @ EveryMac.com

Get an MBP you know it makes sense... and you wont regret it :D

I really hope Apple bring out a 12" version of the MBP as I really like my 12" Ibook (3 years old and still going strong) and don't really want to replace it with a 15" MBP (I don't like the look and feel of the MB).

The biggest problem with buying a Mac, of course, is that you become a Mac owner. Few things are worse.

Yup, you could be a Fabia owner ;)

I used to be a Windows user/abuser and one day I just had enough of it all... I always seemed to be tinkering with PCs and re-installations and what have you. I replaced all my PCs with just a single Mac Mini and I haven't looked back. Now I just want to replace the Mini with a MBP...

I've just always found Macs painful to use. Probably started at school, when they'd throw a total wobbler if someone else had ejected a disk without un-whatsiting it.

Plus as far as I'm concerned they're not much use. Hardly any games and no engineering software worth speaking of.

Bought a white 2ghz Macbook yesterday, so far very pleased with it. Looked at a lot of others before getting this and this was as cheap for the spec as they come. Build is superb, the OS seems to be rock solid and everything just works straight out of the box, just like my linux boxes do. The screen is one of the best I have seen, colours are excellent and correct unlike some i tried that even after adjustment were way off true. Battery life is very good, got over four hours from the first charge and that included playing a DVD and using my wireless network. Got this one from John Lewis, ordered at 3 pm Thursday, arrived 10 am Friday, excellent service and a free two year guarantee.

aj

If the standard mac book came with a bigger screen (13" is too small in my opinion) i would maybe consider one of those to fill my requirements, as it is the only way of getting a bigger screen is to spend a lot more and get the mac book pro.

Yes, I can see where you're coming from here & aparently Apple are seeing lots of potential buyers initially looking at the MacBook but up-spec'ing to the Pro. What are you going to use it for? How about getting a MacBook & connecting a bigger, external monitor when at home?

Would i really be amazed if i went to a mac...

Not amazed no. In fact there's a good chance you'll dislike it initially if you're used to MS Windows; but it grows on you until you get to the point where using Windows (at work/wherever) becomes an absolute chore.

On the other hand, if you're a Linux user (which you hinted at) then it'll probably be love at first sight. (If Windows is an Auto gearbox & Linux is a manual, then OSX is Tiptronic :thumbup: )

The biggest problem with buying a Mac, of course, is that you become a Mac owner. Few things are worse.

...except maybe a Skoda owner.

I agree with you to an extent. The Mac owner has found out there's a better way & wants to share that with you; even if you're not very interested. ;) Unfortunately these zealots (me? :o ) are just annoying.

I try not to evangalise unless someone (Adam, in this case) asks for an opinion. I also try not to go on about how great Skodas are. It's difficult sometimes though isn't it, 'cause we all know what great decisions we make & how wrong everyone else is. :D

TBH i am using windows XP at the moment and have always been a windows user in general. Although i suppose linux maybe an alternative, i am letting a friend try it out first as a guinea pig:thumbup:

I have a shuttle XPC system at the moment, but i am going to go away from the desktop pc altogether and get a laptop instead so i can use it wherever iwant in the house and other places.

I don't really play games anymore these days and would mainly be using the laptop for the internet, word processing, buisness use, photo editing/storing, video editing.

I don't really play games anymore these days and would mainly be using the laptop for the internet, word processing, buisness use, photo editing/storing, video editing.

A Mac is the perfect choice for that then!

Internet... Yes they like to make out that OSX is 110% secure against everything... it's not but then what OS is? OSX is however much better than XP and the only bit of spyware I've seen for it was a proof of concept...

Word processing.. There is M$ Office for OSX or you could use OpenOffice, and then there is of course Apples own offering.

Photo editing/storing... Well it comes with iPhoto (part of the iLife suite) which is a great little app for organising your digital photos and has some basic editing tools as well.

Video editing... Again part of iLife is iMovie which is like all Apple software dead easy to use.

I was using windows/linux for years before I bought my iBook and 3 years on I don't regret a thing and have a Mac Mini to go with it :D

Come to the dark side plus if you dont like osx you can always put boot camp on there and have a good looking machine running windows xp/vista

Best of both worlds if you ask me

why buy an apple and run windows on it?? so you can have the peace of mind in knowing that you have spent loads of money for nothing :)

looking on teh apple store a 2.33 15" MBP costs £1700 which has the following spec:-

2gb ram

120Gb HDD

15" screen

2.33Ghz core2duo

6x dual layer DVD drive

ati x1600 256mb video card

in comparision i am the process of ordering a Dell inspiron 6400 with some extra's and costs about £800 and has the following spec:-

core2duo 2Ghz

2Gb ram

160Gb HDD

15.4" true life screen(same res as the apple)

256Mb Nvidia geforce go 7300

8xDVD dual layer drive

9cell 80w/hr battery

so quite how apple can say its worth it i don't know as its around £900 more expensive, also known as more than double the price.

why buy an apple and run windows on it?? so you can have the peace of mind in knowing that you have spent loads of money for nothing :)

looking on teh apple store a 2.33 15" MBP costs