new fab RS....bit underwhelmed :(

kit

As some on here might know i have just taken delivery of a new fab RS...well 3 weeks ago and i have to say im a little underwhelmed by it!!.....Now wether this is because ive come from a remapped octy RS i dont know...new car seems to have no guts at all......on the motorway nearly at speed limit in fifth gear gave pedal a wee squeeze and the acceleration was not forth coming!!...it just seemed to slowly creep up...there was no urgency, no umph.....it feels like the car has turned up with the wrong engine!!......now i know your all gonna go theres no point comparing the two cars... i know this!! They are different i know but was really hoping for something better!!.....maybe it is just me! i dont know!!....a brisky with a fab RS is going to have a drive this week and tell me what he thinks!!.....opions welcome:)

k:)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know it will still be tight, but at some times im sure i could get out and run faster!!....ive seen loads of vids of hot fabs and read peoples posts saying...ive got a new fab RS and its awsome and such like....and im thinking maybe i shouldve kept the octy!!:(

It only accelerates to 90 then dies:(

Its fun up to then though:)

Mind you,check out Goochies Fabia v octy remaps video and you will note there is rather a difference in oomph (even Bengie running on three wheels and half a turbo:D )

well its in the garage just now as somebody scrathched it before i took delivery!!:(...have asked them to look at it along with the brakes which are very spongey with little stopping power!!..seem to have to brake a whole earlier than in the octy!!! and yep i know octy has bigger brakes!:)

Compared to the octy the brakes do feel very soft, certainly they are more progressive :D Main problem between flitting between the two, set off in octy and nearly end up through windscreen at first juntion, go back to furball and nearly drive straight through the junction :o:D

yep exactly!!.....the guy who got the other fab RS over here as complained to garage aswell about the brakes this week!!....maybe its just not set up right!!?

That video is of Barry's Fabia? The one with the original long gearbox in? I always have a good chuckle at that video because AMD'd Fabias are faster than that :thumbup:

Anyhow, the engines are all bench run in so they should be reasonably forthcoming from new, but Ill be honest mine took 30k to loosen up properly and now at 46k Id say it's in it's prime.

That said, mine new was still great and I would have thought it would be worth a trip back to the dealer to see what they think.

.ive seen loads of vids of hot fabs and read peoples posts saying...ive got a new fab RS and its awsome and such like....

Everything's relative remember :D Did you take a test drive prior to buying it and was the car you drove similar in behaviour?

Chris

yeh one a while ago:)....guy i know at home had one and i took it for a drive and it was preety rapid!!....not sure wether it was mapped or not!!....that was before i got my octy RS.......as for the surge!!.....am afraid theres none at all ! ....none what so ever!!:(

I always have a good chuckle at that video because AMD'd Fabias are faster than that :thumbup:

laugh all you like but we did at least three runs and the result was always the same with regards the fabia. phil beat me once when i forgot to pull away mind :rolleyes:

laugh all you like but we did at least three runs and the result was always the same with regards the fabia. phil beat me once when i forgot to pull away mind :rolleyes:

What would I know about Amd'd Fabia's ;)

I think the problem here is the following - most people on here this appears to be their first properly "fast" car.

Now if you upgrading from a 1.2 Clio sure this is going to feel like its on Speed however if your used to 200-250bhp+ its not going to feel fast at all just ok/good enough.

When I upgreaded from a Rover 216SE 90bhp to a Cavalier GSI I was amazed at the speed of the thing truely fast. The old 216SE could spin in 1st but then into 2nd it would bog down, the Cav would race to the limiter in 2nd.

However the Cavalier isnt what Id call fast now - not even warm.

When I had a track day racing the 996 Turbo S I was shocked at how fast that car was and it felt as fast at 130mph in 6th accelerating as mine does at 60mph in 3rd. Coming out of the track day mine really did feel so slow.

Now however I have access to a Fiat Coupe20VT chipped and a Rover 214 std the fiat Im totally used to and want more power at times yet switching to the Rover I then realise that my car is quick.

So its all perspective - that or youve bought a Lemon.

Yep, the airfield is on a slight hill so we did runs in each direction.

Perspective or not, when you mash the pedal in 6th at 70 let alone 5th, its not long before you are in 3 figures;) From a std octy 1 vRS to a furb {opens can of worms} I would expect /imagine the FEELING of speed in the furb would be greater due to the torque, whilst the speedo may tell a different story. IMHO either KIT's expectations/perception of speed/ acceleration are way out of whack or he as got a dodgy motor, I suspect the latter ;)

I've been in a TT 225 which is effectively the same thing, and to be honest both have a smilar feeling in terms of torque at many speeds, and I would include 70mph in that. The TT just keeps on going after 90mph whereas the Fabia tails off at that point.