Puncture.... Where to put new tyres!

PussCat

I had some form of blow-out yesterday involving the drivers side front wheel - ran over summat in the road (one of those strap things with a big buckle on, off a wagon) and although the tyre didn't go bang, I realised soon after it was kinda flat. Had to call out the RAC cos I couldn't find the key for the locking nut - but that's another story :rolleyes: Anyway the guy managed to mangle the nut off and Ozzy is now sporting 3 alloys and a steelie.....

So, obviously, I need a new tyre...

Thing is, I also need the passenger side rear replacing (picked up a nail, but it's stayed inflated, so I hadn't bothered about it too much until now)

Thing is, the two wheels are opposite each other - drivers front and passenger back - so the question is - which wheels should I put the two new tyres on??

Last time I put new tyres on, I replaced all 4 - so the rears still have lots of tread and the fronts obviously a bit less.....

ok chaps - that's what I thought, but wasn't sure about having "one off the front and one off the back" put on the front as the wear wouldn't be even....

Just need to find the locking key now so I can get the wheels off ;)

hmmm on a fwd i would put the new ones on the front...

but then its all personal pref.

I agree - I want the driven (and steering!) wheels to have the most chance of grip at any one time!!! Most tyre places I've been to don't seem to be too fussed about putting them on the back......

Chris

I agree - I want the driven (and steering!) wheels to have the most chance of grip at any one time!!! Most tyre places I've been to don't seem to be too fussed about putting them on the back......

Chris

If you loose grip on the front its rarely terminal on a FWD car, if you loose rear grip on a FWD car its usually when the back steps out, the rest is history as they say

If you loose grip on the front its rarely terminal on a FWD car, if you loose rear grip on a FWD car its usually when the back steps out, the rest is history as they say

Yep I was fine until my rear wheels lost grip due to the shifting of weight from the rear of the car..

At that point it was hello airbags :(

I have to say that no amount of rear grip would have helped there as there was no weight on the rears.

Also what is your spare like? Is that closer to either of the tyres going on the front, eg closest of 3 with the other as a spare?

"Numerous studies" - in one of those studies they used a V@*xh@!! C0r$@, with no anti-lock, braked hard on a wet corner, and made no attempt at correction (either by easing the brakes or by steering).