PD oil on offer at Halfords

From memory my local VW dealer was cheaper than that -AND I GOT 10% EXTRA DISCOUNT TOO

:confused: Why? If its the correct spec, whats wrong with it?

I prefer to purchase oil branded by the manufacturer. In theory the oil should be ok if it's meets the required specification, but that doesn't mean it's as good as something you'd get from Millers/Shell/Esso/etc.

If it was a VW main dealer I doubt it was 501.01.

I only got a litre - and knocked down to around

:rofl: yer i did miss the comma ;):thumbup:

Thought it might be that `C brand`...

Had to fill a car up with halfords oil once and it wasn't bad oil.

I had asked if we had oil, was told yes, drained it and then found out we didn't have the right oil. :( The relative needed the car next morning, so off to halfords which was still open and but a bottle of own brand with the mind to change it early.

Didn't do that and didn't have any issues, came our pretty clean for a used oil too.

Just a quick comment on the 505.01 oils generally. Speaking to Guy at Opie Oils recently, he was surprised to have found out that none of the 505.01 oils were "proper" synthetic. The additive required to lubricate the injectors is not very compatible with synthetic PAO oils, so hydrocracked mineral oils are used. These are a more refined version of mineral oil, but still subject to shear breakdown.

The term fully synthetic is unfortunately legally allowable for these oils.

This would explain my experience with these oils. The VW Quantum stuff seems to make the engine very quiet when it first goes in, but within 3500 miles the engine becomes less quiet, more diesel sounding, and the oil consumption changes. The oil consumption is virtually nothing for the first 3500 miles, then it goes up toward the end of the service interval, using around 3/4 of a litre with increasing pace as the 10,000 miles comes round (this observed over three service intervals). The quantum is badged as semi synthetic IIRC, so is a mineral and hydrocracked mineral blend.

The Fuchs Titan Supersyn Plus seems to not give as quiet running when put in (there is no difference in engine sound pre / post service). The engine does not get any more diesel sounding over the service interval, however, the oil consumption stays negligible until around 6500 miles where it starts to use a little, working out at under half a litre for 10,000 miles (this observed over three service intervals). This is badges as fully synthetic so is likely to be 100% hydrocracked mineral content.

Next service (70,000 miles) I am trying Castrol Edge 5W40 PD oil.

Having run "proper" fully synthetic oils in many cars over the years, I have never seen oil breakdown in even the most arduous conditions in tuned engines, so the evidence would seem to back up the theory.

If the Castrol goes off mid interval, I will probably switch to doing 5,000 mile oil changes with Millers or something else similarly priced.

Chris

I must be brain dead but will put it down to a slip of the finger when typing

tis indeed 505.01 and not 501.01

Wasn't trying to be an*l - just anyone reading (and not particularly in the know) might have gone out and bought the wrong oil :(