Changing the Fabia vRS dogbone mount

Chrispy

.....So I thought I'd document it for those wanting to do the same. It's a piece of cake but still usefull for those wanting to know what job they're looking at before jacking the car up. :D

I'd gotten sick of the knocking every time I pressed the clutch to change from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd and so decided to do something about it.

Anyway, for this you will need the following:

1x engine rear stabilizer mount (part no: 6Q0199851N) [edit] now <6Q0 199 851 AT> [/edit]

A 16mm socket

Torx bits

Jack & axle stands / ramps

Anyway, here is the new engine stabilizer mount. This is �35.68 inc vat from a dealer, which I think is pretty good considering its size. :thumbup:

01-NewMount.jpg

Jack up the car and put it on axle stands, or get it on ramps. Then remove the undertray by undoing the torx screws that hold it on.

Once the undertray is removed you'll be able to see the old mount quite clearly. It should look like this:

02-OldMountonCar.jpg

As you can see, the large round end bolts into the console and the other end bolts onto the gearbox housing.

Undo the 4 x 16mm bolts holding the mount in place:

03-OldMountcarunbolt.jpg

You'll then be able to maneuver the old mount out from the console by turning it towards the drivers side wheel and pulling towards you.

My old mount looked 'ok' at first.....

04-OldMountoff.jpg

But upon closer inpection the large round bush that bolts into the console felt quite soft and was clearly past its prime. I imagine that it simply allowed enough play for the edge of the mount to touch the console and make a bit of noise. The bush is also only held in at 2 points. The other points seem to be there to allow a bit of movement but I think this also allows too much play in a tired mount as their gaps were wider than the new one. See the old bush below:

05-OldMountcloserinsp.jpg

Anyway, before you re-fit the new mount, marvel at how much you can swing the engine without it fitted. This thing is clearly the only thing resisting the twist/ shove of the engine as you apply power and so it's no wonder they wear out considering the torque of the vRS lump. Even more so for remapped motors. :eek:

Refitting is the reversal of removal. Ensure all the bolts are tight before replacing the undertray and putting the car back on the ground.

My knocking when dipping the clutch during upward/ accelerative gearchanges has now gone and the whole process of changing gear feels much more crisp. They're less notchy and the engine does not feel like it's wiggling as much when you gently dab the throttle or take up drive to set off in traffic etc.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by ap0gee
Latest part number added

Didn't you say Powerflex do an uprated one John? Might be worth looking into as the large round bush is quite feeble. My new one is ok but I can't see it lasting that long TBH. My old one started knocking at about 33k so I'd say that's about the norm for lifespan depending on driving style etc.

Didn't you say Powerflex do an uprated one John? Might be worth looking into as the large round bush is quite feeble. My new one is ok but I can't see it lasting that long TBH. My old one started knocking at about 33k so I'd say that's about the norm for lifespan depending on driving style etc.

yer i am pretty sure they do which presses into an orginal "dogbone", i havent been to work for a few days but will double check when i next go in.

______

john

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Excellent guide!!

I was just about to post what could be wrong with my vRS, and here it is explained in detail!

I also didn't realize it was this simple to replace, or so it seems :-)

Thnx!

• 4 months later...

Ah. I wonder if this is the cause of the clunking I hear sometimes changing in first and second? I only notice it whilst moving at lowish speeds though (er, I think).

May give it a go if it's easy.

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=11722&xSec=283 is this the same thing but an uprated part, and significantly more expensive? Not sure I would like more vibration anyway mind... trying to get rid of rattles and such is bad enough as it is.

I have the "fast road" SuperPro bush and I am very happy. Yes, there is more judder, but it made the car drive and change gear so much smoother. Highly recommended! I had a custom made one before that and it was pure ****e (and went bust for 3k miles).

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

anyone know the correct torque setting to do the nuts back up? Or is it just as tight as you can? As I think my it fairly shot know and I'm hoping to do it over the bank holiday weekend

anyone know the correct torque setting to do the nuts back up? Or is it just as tight as you can? As I think my it fairly shot know and I'm hoping to do it over the bank holiday weekend

For the Fabia engine the torque settings are

Rear torque arm to;

Subframe = 40Nm (30lft ft) + 1/4 turn

Transmission = 30Nm (22lbf ft) + 1/4 turn

B)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one. I think i'll go for that one then.

I still need to suss out if my gearbox side engine mount is a bit wonky though.

Yeah...the engine mounts are supposed to have a bit more "play" in them than you think they ought to!!! Did you read the last EDIT bit on that post I quoted re noise??? B)

Yes but I don't mind that. I currently drive a 2.0L 16v corrado with a 4 branch, decat, milltek, and solid front mount. I'm used to vibration and noise.

Yes but I don't mind that. I currently drive a 2.0L 16v corrado with a 4 branch, decat, milltek, and solid front mount. I'm used to vibration and noise.

I'd say!!! :D

What you doing to the console bushes etc.....anything????

I Haven't decided yet. I'll probably pull them all out and get a look at them at the weekend.

My initial thoughts are to go with a combination of the cupra bushes and the oem bushes. Currently I can see the previous owner has fitted powerflex and there's a bit of play in them so they'll have to go.

What would you reccomend?

Which bush was the Powerflex one??? the front bush on the front wishbone or the rear (console) bush on the front wishbone????

I have Powerflex all round on wishbone,console,rear beam, & ARB,....BUT I would only recommend the following after having "problems" with one of the bushes and think that other designs are better/easier to install:

SuperPro front bush front wishbone

SuperPro rear beam pivot bush

ARB either Powerflex or SuperPro..no difference

Console bush Powerflex as easier to install and if it wears out..easier to replace...or fit the SuperPro version, but requires the console unit out and a press!!

See also my work in progress post!! B)

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/198701-upgrade-the-bushes/

Thanks, I'll have a look at getting some of these sorted within the next week or 2.

The front wishbone one on mine is powerflex and I think also the rear axel beam if I remember right. The front of the wishbone has got play in it and the rear of the wishbone is in an oem bush but it's too soft for my liking.

So, now I'm thinking cupra rear wishbone bushes, superpro front wishbone bushes and powerflex console bushes if I need them done.

Thanks, I'll have a look at getting some of these sorted within the next week or 2.

The front wishbone one on mine is powerflex and I think also the rear axel beam if I remember right. The front of the wishbone has got play in it and the rear of the wishbone is in an oem bush but it's too soft for my liking.

So, now I'm thinking cupra rear wishbone bushes, superpro front wishbone bushes and powerflex console bushes if I need them done.

Cupra rear wishbone bush????....I hope you've not got the console bush (rear bush on front wishbone), mixed up with rear beam axle pivot bush (which you should replace with the SuperPro version as the easiest to install & Best) B)

EDIT

Each Front wishbone has two bushes on it as follows:

Front bush should be replaced with SuperPro

Console bush should be replaced with PowerFlex

Rear Beam Axle has one pair of bushes

Pivot bush should be replaced with SuperPro

Edited by fabdavrav