Guide pins on front Brakes

When I was looking at the brakes yesterday on my GFs felicia I noticed that lower guide pin did not move freely. Well in reality it was stuck solid and did not want to move at all. I stuck a 15mm socket on the end and got it to move a fraction, but as I have no idea how they are attached to the capiler assembly I did not want to break anything (plus it was due to be dropped off for its MOT that evening!).

Anyhow, I would like to resolve this, but my Haynes guide just says replace if ncessary, but I don't know how to actually get it off.... (the guide pin, that is :rolleyes: ). Any ideas?

Cheers,

Matt

I had the same problem on my felicia. Ok this is what to do.

The guide pins are just that a pin and has a bolt head on the outside. The inners of a guide pin is unthreaded and around 3 inchs long. They are supposed to have a springy feel against the rubber dust cap to allow for movement.

To remove a seized guide pin get a pair of mole grips and clamp them on the bolt end. Then with a can of WD40 in hand progressively pull back the guide pin whilst turning gently from side to side and spray away with WD40 to help ease this. It will come out if you can move it but don't rush it as it is a softer metal and can snap if forced too hard

Once it is out get some fine wet and dry and give the pin a clean to get rid of any rust and wipe with a cloth. Then smother the pin in copper grease (this has a higher boiling point for brakes) and work in and out of the hole until it feels springy. Put stacks of copper grease on and repeat the procedure for the other guide pins.

I would recommend doing this procedure every couple of years. You shouldn't need any new pins.

:thumbup:

I was thinking about this when driving back from work and managed to confuse myself. I assume the end (non-nut end) on the slide pin is the bit I am meant to be grabbing with the mole grips and wiggling about (obviously having moved the gater cover out of the way).

anyone got a simple exploded view/image of how these things look so I can actually get the image in my mind correct?

grab the nut end with mole grips!!

If you pull back the rubber gaiter a bit you will see that the pin has a smooth surface. This is what it is like all the way in. The nut shape on the end is just something to grab.

Remember that you are progressively pulling the nut out not spinning in situ as the pin has no thread. Ignore any concept that this is a bolt that will loosen by a ratchet, it needs pulling out.

Cool.... thanks. I think that has now given my mind the image that it needed to confirm how they work.... Just got to walk around to the garage and collect the car so I can do the other bits so it can go in back in for a restest.