Temp gauge

Driving home last night and the temp gauge stopped working just sits at the bottom and will not move! i done a search and seems like it's probaly the sender unit would this be the case? it's on a m1 vrs will it be ok to run it for the next few days i have the car booked in for some other work this thursday so will get it done then, thanks.

I ran about with mine not working for a couple of days until I had a chance to get to Skoda for a new one. If the car is running ok then you just risk not realising if it were to overheat. My car has never overheated in the time that I have had it so I took the risk but it's up to you really.

Well had cambelt and water pump done at the dealers asked them to look at the temp gauge, at the time gauge was working fine so they said nothing wrong with it! since then it s been working on and off! think i might just get a new sender and give it a go!

Well had cambelt and water pump done at the dealers asked them to look at the temp gauge, at the time gauge was working fine so they said nothing wrong with it! since then it s been working on and off! think i might just get a new sender and give it a go!

I would do if i were you.My gauge did exactly the same as yours so i bought a new genuine Temp sender from Ebay (cheaper than stealers) and its worked ever since.:D

Cheers bud, is it easy to fit yourself or is it a garage job?

It's the absolute simplest job there is :)

The sensor is held into the coolant pipe with a large plastic horseshoe shaped clip, and sealed with an o-ring.

De-pressurize the system by releasing the coolant filler cap (wait till everything has cooled if it's hot), retighten (so you won't lose any coolant when you release the sensor), unplug the sensor wiring plug (this is actually the fiddliest bit believe it or not), pull out the clip and remove the sensor and o-ring.

Refit the new sensor and o-ring, replace the clip and plug back in.

You may lose the tiniest bit of coolant, but not enough to worry about having to top up.

• 2 months later...

Surprised this didn't throw a fault code. Maybe it's the thermostat ?

Quick tip when you replace the sender (might seem obvious to some but it nearly caught me out...) Be sure to remove the old O-ring if you're fitting a new one !

And this old thread might be of use:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/octavia/just-got-my-first-17704-a/79260/?highlight=green+temp

Si

Surprised this didn't throw a fault code. Maybe it's the thermostat ?

It's very intermittent, one day the temp gauge will stay at zero all day then another day it might work, very Odd.

I mentioned it to the dealer just before the service (they would not of noticed otherwsie), I just wanted to be sure it was the sender ;)

Does anyone have a diagram of where the coolant pipe is please? :confused:

I tried to locate it at the weekend but I could not for the life of me see where it was, or some real simple insructions as to where I look? :o

Cheers

Remove the plastic cover on top of the engine and the look down the RHS of the engine. My thumb is resting against the circlip which secures the dual temperature sender (ringed in red) in place.

dualtempsender2.jpg

Remove the plastic cover on top of the engine and the look down the RHS of the engine. My thumb is resting against the circlip which secures the dual temperature sender (ringed in red) in place.

Many thanks DGW :)

• 1 year later...

My temp gauge lately started to play up so I decided to replace the temp sender.

Bought this part from the Bay

VW GOLF IV/BORA/PASSAT/A3 DUAL TEMPERATURE SENSOR >01 on eBay, also, Volkswagen, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 07-Sep-08 17:07:47 BST)

Went to fit it and the Connector was different. The rest of the part was the same.

Have I bought the wrong part or was the connector changed at the same time. Part Number bought: 059-919-501

This is the parts I was replacing as above post picture.

Image211Large.jpg

This is the part I bought, as ebay item.

Image212Large.jpg