octavia vrs diesal compaired 2petrol vrs

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for in a car, if fuel economy is an issue then of course the diesel will make more sense but I have seen the petrol version make an average of 39.4mpg iirc on a long run which is pretty impressive. My choice would be and is the petrol 2.0T FSI, a cracking engine but owners with the diesel are just as happy :thumbup:

Note: Thread moved to a more appropriate forum.

Surely any saving in MPG would be more than countered by the deprecation loss?

The TDi is a good cruiser and motorway car but I bet the petrol engine is a bit more exciting to cane.

Steve

going 2 change my octy vrs petrol mk 2 for the diesal vrs in jan i need some advice' is it worth it or would it be a let down thanks 4 ur input

conor----

If you are thinking of changing what factors are pushing YOU to the vRS TDI?

For me, as I considered both before buying a TDI, they were (not that I had a vRS TFSI first mind you), in no particluar order;-

1. Lower CO2 emissions to give lower Company Car Tax - saved

Surely any saving in MPG would be more than countered by the deprecation loss?

Steve

Don't get this!

The TDI has better fuel consumption by around 10mpg AND lower depreciation; so WIN WIN, surely.

I was reading somewhere that to make a diesel "pay" so to speak, you should be driving around the 20,000 miles a year mark. Don't know how this relates to the VRS.

Certainly for the last couple of years Diesel has been more expensive at the pumps than unleaded. Just my luck, when I go back to a petrol car, diesel is suddenly cheaper at my local garage....

I was reading somewhere that to make a diesel "pay" so to speak, you should be driving around the 20,000 miles a year mark. Don't know how this relates to the VRS.

Certainly for the last couple of years Diesel has been more expensive at the pumps than unleaded. Just my luck, when I go back to a petrol car, diesel is suddenly cheaper at my local garage....

Off beat thought;

Evo magazine did a road test/economy run with a Toyota Prius Hybrid vs. a FIAT Panda 100hp and. apart from the fact they had a darn sight more fun in the Panda, :D they calculated that it would take something like 200 - 250,000 miles for the Prius to make itself 'pay'. :rofl::rofl:

Back to the thread;

Would a vRS owner care whether their car 'pays' or not?

The main reason for me not going for the diesel over the petrol was the DPF fault on the 170TDI engine - I dont always get a chance to do the 50 miles or whatever is recommended, a lot of my driving is unfortunatly in traffic. I also only cover around 7,000 miles a year and my insurance is very cheap hence the petrol model for me. :D

I have driven the VRS TDI however and been VERY impressed. :thumbup:

Lee

The DPF fault could well be a large factor as it was for FocusZtec, depending on what your normal driving routine is.

I'm a little concerned (I've ordered the TDI), but we'll see (my driving distances vary massively during hockey season/not). I'm sure I wont mind making a few extra long trips to keep the DPF in order.

Diesel servicing should be cheaper in theory, as they can go almost 50% further between services if set to VARIABLE.

Also if you want a wider rev band get it chipped, you will get another useful 500+ rpm at the backend of the band ("rev limit" pushed up to 4.75/5k).

Doesn't sound much, but bear in mind the standard band is realistically 2k-4.25k, you are adding 22% flexibility.

You should also technically sneak something off the frontend of the band aswell as chipped output will reach standard output (340NM@2,000) about 200 rpm earlier as well) - giving 31% increase in flexibility.

see here:

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/vag20tdi170.pdf

I think the Panda stats of 250,000 miles were mostly down to the fact that:

a) they cost about the same to actually run (fuel/tax/servicing etc)

B) the Prius is TWICE as expensive (and 50% heavier!! - not good for the environment) at

When I was choosing between the 2 last November I spent an afternoon alternating between my local Skoda dealers diesel demonstrator and a used petrol version they had. Ignoring the fuel economy and I still prefered the diesel. I drove both on all sorts of roads and unless you thrashed the petrol the diesel was much faster.

In addition I preferred the handling and feel of the steering on the diesel, the roads were dry but the extra weight made the front end feel a lot more positive with much better turn in.

Each to their own and all that, but I'd suggest finding a good dealer who will let you do what I did before making a decision.

Hi,

As a relatively high mileage driver 23,000 since September, mostly motorway miles I can confirm my car averages about 43 to the gallon, it now needs new tyres, and it required a service at 18,000 miles which cost

Hi,

As a relatively high mileage driver 23,000 since September, mostly motorway miles I can confirm my car averages about 43 to the gallon, it now needs new tyres, and it required a service at 18,000 miles which cost

Don't get this!

The TDI has better fuel consumption by around 10mpg AND lower depreciation; so WIN WIN, surely.

I meant that the amount you would have already lost on the petrol car changing to a TDi would not compensate for the better mpg of the diesel.

Steve

I meant that the amount you would have already lost on the petrol car changing to a TDi would not compensate for the better mpg of the diesel.

Steve

Ah; got it!! Quite right too.

What you are suggesting means; why does one not just keep the TFSI vRS?

cheers for all the feedback i think i will have 2 get a diesal for a feiw hours and give it a lash local dealer says next one in is july i will check it out . my gut feeling is go for the diesal vrs . thanks again. conor.

I had the same mind battle when I bought my Leon FR. I went for diesel. Chipped it. Love it. In buying the VRS (due in next week) I drove the TDi but bought the petrol version as although the TDi is very flexible and loads of torque, you can't beat the extra revs of the petrol engines and the added "go faster" noises compared against the diesel. I'll be keeping the Leon though as I now do 35k a year commuting to work (which wasn't the case when I bought it).

• 1 month later...

thanks again for the feedback drove the tdi 170 the other day very little between them,it seems heavier on the road but it goes like stink going 2 order one for jan just got 2 more dealers 2 go and see who gives best price;

Had my unmodified Octy vRS TDI for 7 months now and no real problems apart form a faulty allen nut which meant loosing oil engine oil. On the way back from a mountain climb in my native Scotland I 'accidentally' booted it into a rally jump on a bend. Not only did the Octy stay level but when it eventually met the tarmac executed a perfectly tight (on the right side of the road) turn. Think it might benefit from the better grade Shell fuel.

Would a vRS owner care whether their car 'pays' or not?

aaaa.....yes? is that not why skoda brought out the tdi-vrs, for company car drivers?

unless you thrashed the petrol the diesel was much faster.

but surely that's one point of a 'sporty' petrol engine? if someone does not want to thrash (in my experience you don't need to thrash the t-fsi to make good progress) an engine, petrol, why buy a sporty car?

I drove them both with a couple of days between them. There is remarkably little between the two cars. The petrol TFSI is very flexable with a lot of torque. It'll quite happily pull in 6th on the motorway (and that's with less than 1k on the clock).

Before I bought I sat down and worked out my costs. I'm a relatively average mileage driver 8-12k per year. For me the higher purchase cost of the diesel and the higher mpg canceled out to make both cars cost about the same over 3 years.

I didn't take depreciation into account because I intent to keep the car beyond 3yrs.

I did factor in insurance with the TFSI being higher but in the end the ins cost was about

Harsh, jittery ride is down to the shocks not, IMHO, whether you have 17 or 18 inch wheels. Cured by fitting Koni FSDs.

I have a vRS TDi Estate on the 18" wheels and although I think it rides much better than the Leon FR Tdi on 17" wheels, I still think the VRS would benefit from more compliance in the suspension. IMHO it would improve ride and possibly handling (particularly on the UK's 'third world' roads we now have to endure).

How much are the Koni's and is the difference really noticeable?

(And before anyone asks why I didn't get an L&K instead, I probably would have if it came with the 170ps diesel engine option!)