Introducing my chavtastic Fabia

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Change the bonnet. Get rid of the spoiler. Place a vRS spoiler their. And It's neat.

agreed :eek:

generally speaking, the fabia looks...well...pants. it might be down to the fact that it's white, but that kinda looks alright (apart from the bonnet and spoiler) - give it some decent brakes and a 1.8T... :D

I've looked over the shots on the Ebay addy, is this the car?

Most aspects are grrrrrrrrreat, others are naaaaasty!

I like the front spoiler, bonnet grille, side skirts. I've always wondered what vents would look like! I like the extra styling, but I think they're too loud, maybe painting them white would work better?

The side profile looks really sweet on Ebay, except for that rear spoiler!!! Put on a vRS spoiler or something that fits the tailgaite closely. The rear diffuser is ok... it grows on you. The wheels are fine from afar, but up close I don't like the extra bolt holes - what's that about!!?

Really, please get the rear spoiler off, without it the car really is 'Honey I shrunk the Evo' !! LOL

Andy.

*edit* + colour code the rear bumper strip?

Apart from the spoiler where a standard VRS one should have took its place. I really like it. The previous owner must have been so proud of it and a lot of time effort and money have gone into this. A real bargain and a great colour. Gets a big thumbs up from me. The only white VRS i have seen (OK it`s not a VRS)

Kind of a big finger to all those Skoda perceptions. Bring it on.

OK im doube posting

What flavour of 1.4 is it? The 1.4 8v is a push-rod engine with a short timing chain. The older the car, the noisier this chain gets. But AFAIK, it's far less prone to breaking than a belt...

I think it is probably the 8v with the chain, due to it having manual mirrors etc. Just a guess tho:P

agreed :eek:

generally speaking, the fabia looks...well...pants. it might be down to the fact that it's white, but that kinda looks alright (apart from the bonnet and spoiler) - give it some decent brakes and a 1.8T... :D

i appreciate the opinion. To be honest, if i was in the market for a 1.8 turbo - I'd have one (and it already has uprated brakes) As for the pants... I wear them well.

General views seem to mirror what i originally had thought. Like I said, the bonnet vents were never to my taste and the spoiler - well i'm just enjoying the car for a while before i make my own mark. THanks for all the nice comments though, appreciate its a love/hate car. Cheers, Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'v got a 8v 1.4 Fabia aswell with the same engine noise. I had my water pump changed cuz it was leaking n the noise carried on and has got worse over the last couple of months. It went in the garage on Fri for its 60k service and the guy at the garage said the problem was with the tensioner, and some chain. Anyways the guy said that he didn't recommend that I drive it round much longer without getting the prob fixed. My car is now in pieces and havin the work done. It's goin cost me around

Hi,

I'v got a 8v 1.4 Fabia aswell with the same engine noise. I had my water pump changed cuz it was leaking n the noise carried on and has got worse over the last couple of months. It went in the garage on Fri for its 60k service and the guy at the garage said the problem was with the tensioner, and some chain. Anyways the guy said that he didn't recommend that I drive it round much longer without getting the prob fixed. My car is now in pieces and havin the work done. It's goin cost me around

Hmmm, ok been having a think... Now I'm with Blonde87 on this one, know very little about the timing chain... Here's a photo of the offending area (the swine) and from what i can make of it - the 'rattle' is coming from one of those circular cog things... almost as if it's not attached tightly and there's slight play in it (obviously not that, but by description - thats what it sounds like :rofl: )

Here's the photo...

15974.attach

I know a helpful chap earlier on pointed out that it might be a Felicia 1.4... so if it helps, she's a 00 w 1.4 mpi with 53k on the clock.

Cheers for any advice u can throw my way!

Dan

Hmmm, ok been having a think... Now I'm with Blonde87 on this one, know very little about the timing chain... Here's a photo of the offending area (the swine) and from what i can make of it - the 'rattle' is coming from one of those circular cog things... almost as if it's not attached tightly and there's slight play in it (obviously not that, but by description - thats what it sounds like :rofl: )

Here's the photo...

[ATTACH]15974[/ATTACH]

I know a helpful chap earlier on pointed out that it might be a Felicia 1.4... so if it helps, she's a 00 w 1.4 mpi with 53k on the clock.

Dan

IIRC The tensioners on the belt are quite brittle and prone to disintergration as they are plastic, but Im probably wrong :P

Here's the photo...

[ATTACH]15974[/ATTACH]

Dan

The guy at the garage said that mine has play in it and has stretched. I think u shud get someone look at it cuz he didnt recommend I drive my car any longer as if that belt goes the engine does!

The guy at the garage said that mine has play in it and has stretched. I think u shud get someone look at it cuz he didnt recommend I drive my car any longer as if that belt goes the engine does!

Not sure about that last statement. Sure, you'll lose drive to the alternator and water pump, which'll make the engine either cut out or overheat (whichever happens sooner), but you won't get a terminal piston-to-valve collision like would happen when a cambelt goes. Not contesting that you should avoid driving it until it's fixed, but I don't think it's quite as dramatic as the mechanic's told you IMHO!

I think that Blonde87 is confusing a timing belt and the ancillary belt.

The timing belt is inside a cover on the offside end of the engine. It connects the crank and camshafts (and drives the waterpump too (maybe?)). If this goes, there's a good chance the engine will be damaged beyond economic repair.

I think that the belt in the photo is the ancillary belt which drives the alternator (battery charger) and maybe the airconditioning pump and water pump. If this goes the car will overheat and the battery will go flat but will probably be ok.

A timing belt has to be replaced after a given period, generally a chain does not. A chain is less prone to snapping than a belt but can get noisy although generally this isn't an isse per se.

I think that Blonde87 is confusing a timing belt and the ancillary belt.

Absolutely. Unless the thread's shifted since I've been looking in, they're talking about a 1.4MPi, which uses pushrods and a short chain to control the valve timing...