MAF meter & Intercooler cleaning???

GPW

I have a PD 130 TDI with 80K miles on it. I have recently noticed a drop of in fuel MPG and having to push it a bit harder to make it go. It also is a bit lumpy on idle. Have replaced the airfilter with a K&N and have been running Millers sport 4 for about 1000 miles had a big service and had it checked for fault codes etc but its still sluggish.

I have read several threads on here and on other forums about cleaning and flushing the oily crud out of the intercooler. I have taken the top intercooler pipe off where it meets the intake manifold and yes there is oily sludge in there. I have seen the "how to info" on stu.com and it is easy enough but has anyone done this and dose it make a difference.

Do you have to remove the intercooler temp sensor before putting the solvent through the intercooler?

I am also thinking about cleaning the mass air flow meter. again I have searched and read info on this but again has anyone on here done this and found it to be a benifit.

I dont want to waist time doing things that wont help or risk damaging things and leaving me stranded with a big bill.

Any advise would be appriciated

Hi Baz

How it going with you Fella:)

thanks for the links but I would like to hear from people who have done it and what their experiance has been.

And I would still like to know if you need to remove the IC temp sensor prior to cleaning.

:iagree:

I don't think cleaning the intercooler will make much noticeable difference at all T.B.H.

However, a MAF on the way out could well see some performance drop off. :)

If you know anyone with another VRS try swapping MAF's to see if there's any improvement & if so I wouldn't bother trying to clean the MAF I'd just replace it.

While your at it you may wish to try the "dielectric grease" trick & see if that helps ? :thumbup:

I'd picked up a new maf off ebay thinking it might help one day to try and invigorate the car. Its been sitting in a kitchen draw until today when i thought i'd see if it will have an affect.

Oh dear...

I now have no turbo boost, and it barely accelerates. it feels fine with gently throttle movement but when you try and put your foot down, nothing.

If you do get a new MAF, just make sure you get the correct one!

Thinking about it, i'm not sure whats wrong. Surely a MAF is a MAF isnt it?

There are many variants, the part numbers should be on them.

TBH it' not worth buying something like that from eBay. Get it from the main dealer.

Everyone I know who has tried "cleaning" their MAF as ended up getting a new one.

I got one for the Fiat from Ebay, and it was the same PN as the OEM one but it wasn't that much cheaper TBH. At least you know the one from the dealer will be spot on.

Well I am going to clean the intercooler anyway just for peace of mind.

I know someone with the same much younger motor so will check part numbers and do a swap to see if there is any difference.

If it improves things I will price a maf from the dealer and price one from my local Bosch dealer and take it from there.

If I get a new one I will play with the old one, clean it etc and see what happens

Cheers

2 other things to check.

Try the "Cage mod" on the MAF connector.

Just wondering if your EGR pipe might be filling up with cack.

One question: Is the car chucking out loads of smoke or is it just way down on power?

J.

2 other things to check.

Try the "Cage mod" on the MAF connector.

Just wondering if your EGR pipe might be filling up with cack.

One question: Is the car chucking out loads of smoke or is it just way down on power?

J.

there is no noticable increase in smoke just down in power

I will search for "Cage mod" dont know that one

I will search for "Cage mod" dont know that one

It's the same thing as the "dielectric grease" trick I suggested to you earlier. :)

I noticed you said you have a K&N filter.. theres speculation that MAF failure is linked to using induction kits and "oiled" filters....

I have a similar problem, my car isnt so much down on power, but the mpg is suffering, where before i used to get avg about 45mpg to a tank im now getting about 38, and struggle to get over 40mpg on day to day driving, which was easy previously... im considering changing the MAF out of due course to see if that improves it