VRS Error code 171 bank1 to lean please help !!

Can i just add to this thread..

As you have probably read, mine is giving the same fault codes.

Now before i got the car, it was in at Jabba on the 13th, and one of the things that were replaced was the "breather hose cam cover" to quote the invoice.

Could this be the same thing ?

It was

The "Breather Hose Cam Cover" is probably the upper breather hose going from the cam cover to the intake - it is Y shaped i.e. 3 ends.

There are 3 hoses to replace, the top one Y shaped

Right...

Now, my light went off yesterday, and the car has been running great.

Came to work this morning, still no light, but could only manage 5psi, switched off, back on, and it was fine, 15psi no problem.

Will pop off and do a search, sure this has been covered many a time, but i rekon it's time to start replacing pipes !

• 1 month later...

Dear all

my car is CC'ed to 240bhp with all the hardware. suddenly the car is running very lean. when i start up from cold it take about 5-6 minutes for a/f ratio to come to stoich. then after warm up - one blast in through 2nd and 3rd gear the mixture is back to complete lean. then driving slowly for about 2 min brings it back to stoich. check all the hoses mentioned earlier, maf etc all values in VAG com show perfect and with range value and trim. O2 values are also steady donot fluctuate much. i also get the error code 171 bank1 lean. can anyone help pl ??? asking skoda is out of the question !!!

That was my guess as well. expecting a new one tomorrow. thanks will keep all posted

Let us know how it went. Hey any of you guys know whether there is a fail proof way to actually check the O2 sensor using VAG. That would be the easiest way to make sure it is the sensor.

hi all again,

check the system for pressure leaks. plugged it from after the MAF and to the throttle body. plugged the crankcase vent valve on the intake tube and another breather tube connected to charcoal canisted and throttle body. the system holds 15-16 PSI of pressure for about 30-40 seconds before it drops about 1 to PSI every 30-40 seconds. then hold a about 7-8 psi, is this normal or it should hold airtight forever... also is it required to pressure test the system from the intake side as well or should i just go from after the turbo to throttle body.

• 5 months later...
Go with what Lummox says - he diagnosed an identical fault with my old Octavia in a few moments chat online. However I decided on that occasion not to listen to him and change all manner of other things because I couldnt hear the pipe hissing.

Turned out it was the pipe he said it'd be ;)

Wiggle it here (where the arrow is, not the hand)

hose1.jpg

The pipe you need to squeeze with the engine running is the smaller diameter one that runs to the left of the arrow in this picture. You should be able to affect the idle this way.

hose2.jpg

Cost about

• 8 months later...
Go with what Lummox says - he diagnosed an identical fault with my old Octavia in a few moments chat online. However I decided on that occasion not to listen to him and change all manner of other things because I couldnt hear the pipe hissing.

Turned out it was the pipe he said it'd be ;)

Wiggle it here (where the arrow is, not the hand)

hose1.jpg

The pipe you need to squeeze with the engine running is the smaller diameter one that runs to the left of the arrow in this picture. You should be able to affect the idle this way.

hose2.jpg

Cost about