Dont Disconnect The Battery

When fitting my sound system to my 96 felicia

I removed the possitive terminal on the battery by accident.

anyway this created a problem!

when i tryed to start the car it wouldn't start unless you blipped the throttle a bit.

Then the car wouldn't idle it would just cut out

so by keeping my foot gently on the throttle it started to revv slowly up and down.( Kangerooing.)

The car was really impossible to drive.

I explained my situation to the skoda dealer who told me it would cost

I would imagine they did a Throttle Body Alignement. Most VAG Petrol cars would be affected in a similar way, although perhaps not quite so badly.

Can be sorted easily with VAG-COM.

when I changed my tming chain the other weekend I disconnected the battery and didn't have any similar problems in fact it fired up first turn and ran very well.

maybe with me having it disconnected for several hours helped as that would have reset the ecu any way whereas yours was just confused at having not been off for very long? I dunno... that's probably a load of bull but all I can say is that I had no probs!

I would imagine they did a Throttle Body Alignement. Most VAG Petrol cars would be affected in a similar way, although perhaps not quite so badly.

Can be sorted easily with VAG-COM.

:iagree:

the cable operated ones dont seem to suffer as much as the drive-by-wire ones:)

:nol2:

you can get those little devices called battery savers that you plug into the ciggie lighter socket. they have a small 12v battery in them and they avoid loosing all of the adaptive settings etc

thanks ill have a look!

im not being funny

but halfords are *+@#$%^&

the staff are no help at all and don't know what is what

they are at the parts counter and they dont know what any parts are

they wont fit a battery to my L&K

and they are just merr

I had a similar problem with my fun this morning after leaving the amp swithed on all night. I jump started it ,and it took forever to tickover without the throttle pressed. By the time i had done 500 yards to the papershop the tickover was constantly too high at 1100rpm. Once onto the moterway and cruising at 70 ish, the engine would cut out if the throttle pressed gently ,but not if floored. Once i got to work i switched it off and then restarted, tickover now normal and ok on way home.

I had the same cutting out problem a year ago until the girl on reception at JBS auto design in chesterfield diagnosed the knock sensor fault over the phone. i changed it and have had no problems until today.

Incidentally JBS are the people who put an octy vrs engine in a felly fun

cheers steve

I had a similar problem with my fun this morning after leaving the amp swithed on all night. I jump started it ,and it took forever to tickover without the throttle pressed. By the time i had done 500 yards to the papershop the tickover was constantly too high at 1100rpm. Once onto the moterway and cruising at 70 ish, the engine would cut out if the throttle pressed gently ,but not if floored. Once i got to work i switched it off and then restarted, tickover now normal and ok on way home.

I had the same cutting out problem a year ago until the girl on reception at JBS auto design in chesterfield diagnosed the knock sensor fault over the phone. i changed it and have had no problems until today.

Incidentally JBS are the people who put an octy vrs engine in a felly fun

cheers steve

does yours have a vw alarm by any chance?

The trick is when changing the battery is to, connect the battery and leave the ignition on for 2 mins - the ECU gets it settings after a while. You will hear the throttle adjusting - the garage I take my car to taught me this.

If you ever want to re-set the ECU, leave the battery disconnect overnight and then plug back in, leave the ignition on for a few mins, and then start.

when you say ignition on, you just mean so the lights on the dash come up?

My mate said his Nissan skyline R32/3 (can't remember which) ecu resets itself when the battery has become disconnected for over 24 hours, and it remaps it depending on the first drive it has. so if he floors it for 20 mins it will be in a fast mode.

the same applys to the Honda civic type R.