it it going to ever be possible for me to remove my now rounded off front hub nut should i need to in the future?

Basically i replaced my wheel bearing and as a matter of course for such a strained nut i purchased a new one from skoda. Unfortunately they now seem to be made out of a softer alloy and when i finally managed to tighten it to the correct torque i overdid it at the last moment and totally shafted the nut.

Since i now have all new suspension, shoks, bearings and cv boots i reckon i will not have to undo this nut for years to come. But if i do need to, how the hell can i undo it?

ive checked with a 30mm, 29mm and 28mm sockets and none of them have a good enought purchase on it now to undo it!

bugger!

if you remove the hub with driveshaft stiff attached to it, you will probably be able to release the cv joint circlip and take off the cv joint from the shaft, then you could stick it on a hydraulic press and push her in which might give you enough play to get a puller under the nut, or it might even release it enough to undo the nut

if you remove the hub with driveshaft stiff attached to it, you will probably be able to release the cv joint circlip and take off the cv joint from the shaft, then you could stick it on a hydraulic press and push her in which might give you enough play to get a puller under the nut, or it might even release it enough to undo the nut

hopefully ill never need to but thanks!

i am assuming that your socket set is the type that grips the ends of the nut (round) when viewed.

I have a set of impact sockets now which are the exact shape of the nut and prevent any rounding off as they grip the middle of the nut. This will shift it if you have rounded the corners off. If yours is first type make the switch you'll never go back!!

I have a "metrinch" socket set that works on the flats of the nuts. They're pretty good even when you've messed you're nuts up . . . ooh err missus.

See:

16147.attach

Mine is made by Draper and was available in Argos for only

I have a "metrinch" socket set that works on the flats of the nuts. They're pretty good even when you've messed you're nuts up . . . ooh err missus.
I think you can still get metrinch sockets - even individual sockets rather than buying the complete set. Dunno if they'd have the size you need, though.

The same socket can cover a few sizes because of the way they work - the same socket may cover a metric and imperial nut of similar sizes.

I have some and I do like them (although I don't do anything serious with them).