John

johndavid

Hi Stu that's quick! I'm a new user of this site. The car is under Skoda Warranty, bought Feb 2007 26K only 53 plate. but it's early days yet, it only happened Thursday. I wondered if this has happened to anyone else?

Ta John!

I thought there was no come back if its a diesel and its goes bang whilst it's being MOT's, something to do with having to rev it to the limiter to test smoke emissions. However for your sake I hope I'm wrong.

You'd expect that since its within warranty and with such few miles that it would be covered. What did your supplying dealer say, or the MOT tester?

All MOT test stations have a poster displayed and a disclaimer to sign warning of the dangers of a Diesel smoke test, any garage I've been to have you sign said disclaimer, indicating last oil change, cambelt change etc, bare in mind that Skoda suggest 4 yearly cambelt change.

If you havn't signed disclaimer all should be well.

Thanks to all the above comments, I never saw or signed an disclaimer as far as I remember, only a service authority. They did the service just before the MOT and have serviced the car since new. Tester was very cagey and didn't commit himself. Sales Manager was also vague. I'll post an outcome, thanks again

Welcome.

Rotten luck mate, but if the car's under Skoda warranty, that should pick up the bill. Of course, this will be no consolation, but it does confirm my opinion of the relevance and dangers of the so-called smoke test.

I would have thought that it is the owners responsibility to ensure that the car is serviced according to the manufacturers schedule. If a service or maintenance item fails when past its' scheduled replacement time it can't be classed as warrantable. This depends on what caused the belt to let go. If the water pump seized causing the belt to shed its' teeth, that is warrantable.

I would have thought that it is the owners responsibility to ensure that the car is serviced according to the manufacturers schedule. If a service or maintenance item fails when past its' scheduled replacement time it can't be classed as warrantable. This depends on what caused the belt to let go. If the water pump seized causing the belt to shed its' teeth, that is warrantable.

Yep, they'll replace the waterpump no problem ;)

I've often seen the signs but never previously heard of one letting go.

I'm now on my third diesel without problem, but I've always run them on the decoke programme, so nothing the MOT tester does should be a shock to the car.

If the dealer has serviced from new to schedule, and you bought it from them you *should* be OK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...