Towbars!

:cool: Is somebody having a go at us caravanners ? I tow a Fleetwood Colchester with a 110bhp TDi Octavia (2000) and its brill :thumbup: How does the Scout tow on wet grass/muddy field as I fancy one and managed to see one in Bridgenorth but its a bit pricey :( cheers - Stuart.

We all know Stu want's a 'van :D

Every thread about towing or 'vans up he pops :rofl:

I have always had Witter towbars fitted :thumbup:

Have gone from this,

fabvanside.jpg

To this,

vancarawaning-1.jpg

And now have this :thumbup:

P1010004.jpg

The Octy struggled abit with the Britange ;) So I HAD to change it for the Land rover :D

Well its here, complete with FIXED towbar!

Oh and now complete also with Caravan Club grille badge.

Hitched up to the van today to try the electrics, nice colour match for the blue decals on my Bailey.

Only two weeks till we hitch up and go.

As for anti-caravanners, you don't know what your missing.

Been caravanning all my life, 37 years, and will do so till I'm gathered to a higher place!

We've already got a VRS tdi hatch with a detachable towbar - currently we only tow a small trailer but we're looking at caravans at the minute and we're getting conflicting figures on what we can tow. What size van do you currently have, what MTPLM - looks like we're going to have to stick with a 2 berth due to the VRS only having a kerbweight of 1500kg - or so we've been told!!

Any advice would be welcome - btw the VRS in one hell of a car and I'm sure will tow really well!!:)

Cheers

MD

Based strictly on a comparison of weights, our 'van is an Abbey 520 4-berth single axle(MTPLM 1375kg / MIRO 1121kg). For towing duties we have a '95 Audi A6 Avant 2.0 which according to the handbook has a kerbweight of 1405kg and a max tow weight of 1400kg. Other than a bit of wheel-spin when pulling out of uphill junctions if the road is wet, the outfit is fine even when fully loaded with enough kit for a fortnights holiday. Personally I think that sensible distribution of loads ie, heavy stuff in the car and over the 'van axle etc is just as - if not more - important than the 85% guideline.

I would be interested to know what weight of van other Briskodians have experience of towing behind the new Octavia estate (2WD), as I am considering one myself.

Our current van weighs in at 1184KG all up. Will be towing for the first time with the vRS next weekend so will post how it goes.

JUst keep looking in the rear view mirrior as you won't know its there ;)

Also keep an eye on the speedo because you will always be going to fast :D

:thumbup: The Colchester tows brilliantly and the first time out with the Octavia indeed I was speeding as it was so good to drive,year 2000 TDi 110bhp,van is about 1300 fully laden about 75% of cars weight and it usually returns 35mpg towing. cheers - Stuart.

• 1 year later...
:D:D:D:D:D Well the dealer has just rang and my Scout has just arrived ( complete with all over white plastic panels ) so I am calling around on my way home to see it in the flesh, just got to check the wiring to the 13 pin for powering the caravan/fridge. yipeeeeeeeee:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Edited by sparky2
update

Anyone had a removable swan neck tow bar fitted to a 2009 facelift Octavia? Thinking of the Towsure system which is suitable for the Canbus system. Wondering if the reverse sensors will be a problem.

I fitted a fixed towbar to my Octavia and the reverse parking sensors don't pick it up at all unless there's a trailer hitched on. If you get the right kit and the right VAG Com settings you can tell the car to turn off the sensors when it detects a trailer is connected. Mine doesn't do this, so there's a constant beep while reversing.

Out of curiosity, is the speed limit different to the signposted limit for towing in the UK? In Ireland it's 80 km/h, though given the road surface in places you're taking your life in your hands even at that speed...

This may be the draggiest trailer ever towed, but it got 11 bikes from the west of Ireland to the French Alps and back on under €300 of Diesel :):

http://www.skynet.ie/~ceason/photos/20090600_Les_Gets/Skoda_Towing.jpg

Wow this is an old thread ... that car has come and gone and been replaced by another vRS (caravan has changed too) ... again fitted with a fixed bracket. Currently out on tour here is a picture to prove it!

29618.attach

:D:thumbup::D:thumbup:Well I have the Scout now and she looks good, anybody fitted the extra 3 wire loom for a caravan ? is it worth it ? (