vRS petrol oil useage?

Hi guys. I had mine serviced (it's on the variable setup) on the 24th of May this year which included an oil change. Here we are in August and yesterday the oil light came on on the way back on the motorway.

A quick call to the dealer and I confirmed what oil they'd used in the service so I could top it up and pulled into the first place I could fine that had it (as I was 100 miles plus from home). It turns out that they used Mobil 1 ESP, so I topped up with that. Dipping the engine it was below the bottom mark on the dip stick and it took at least a litre to get it back up to normal.

Now the question is, in less than three months, is it normal for an engine like the petrol vRS to chew through over a litre of oil after a service? Mileage wise it's done less than 2000 miles since service.

Yes the car is driven fast sometimes, however my average MPG is in the 32mpg mark (which includes inter city commutes) so it's not being ragged.

The car is an 06 vRS FSI hatchback.

I'm not sure about this specific engine, but a Audi A4 2.4 V6 I used to have, used a litre of the expensive Castrol Edge oil in between 1200 & 1500 miles.

I notice from the Octavia II handbook that a consumption figure of up to 0.5l / 1000 kilometres (approx 1 litre / 1250 miles - same as the Audi) is acceptable depending on driving style, etc.

Can add up to another

My vRS has used no oil and is due a service in 600 miles. Others need to top

up on a regular basis. Must depend on how it is run in or how lucky you are.

Settled down nicely now, although i do tend to run it quite below maximum..:)

Yes that is a good point Ken, I don't run mine on maximum simply between the marks is fine.

Cheers guys, sounds like it's normal then.

I found it odd, as for 12000 it never drank any, then after a service it dropped a heap. Just made me wonder if the guys never did the change right at the service point and screwed it up, either leaving it low or with something loose or illfitted so it'd chew oil.

I think you've already come to a conclusion, but I'm affraid it seems to be a trait of the TFSI to use a bit of oil (some more so than others) and therefore nothing to worry about imho.

Hmm small update. Car went back for a checkup relating to the oil, plus a couple of faults.

Airbag amber light came on and the sill was scratched where they pulled the driver's seat out to recover it under warranty (cover was wearing through).

Seems that the driver's side squib wiring loom needed alteration?

Wrong part was ordered, so the sill scratches have to wait, airbag fault now fixed. Looks like both were caused by the previous fix, sadly has to go back again to get the door sorted.

My guess (although it's only that.. a guess) is that the oil usage is down to the previous service. The car didn't use oil for the first 12,000 miles, then using over a litre in the next 3,000 is a bit too wierd. Especially as it was after a service.