Superb or...............

My beloved Fabia vRs is now approaching 3 years old and I have a yen to change it for something bigger. I know an Octavia would be the sensible choice but I feel that if I'm going to move up in size I should do so properly, (although I know I'mm miss the Fabia terribly).

Current shortlist is Superb 2.5TDi Elegance Auto/Nightfire Blue/Ivory Leather or Volvo S60 D5 Geartronic. Neither brand new but probably ex-demo's or similar. Also on list is a 3 year old Jag S-type SE 2.7 twin turbo diesel.............but I just fear it would be a money pit. Also quite fancy a Subaru Legacy 3.0 Spec b Auto but the fuel economy, or lack of, scares me.

Any comments etc would be welcome as I keep on bouncing around and not really getting anywhere.

I'd have a look at ....

Honda Accord, Ford Mondeo, Passat, A4 too.

I'm sure a spin out in the V6 2.5TDI Superb at Hortons will convince you though.

The V6 boys on here seem to prefer the manuals to the Auto's btw ...

I've driven both a manual & tiptronic 1.9 TDI 130,

the manual felt quicker & used 25% less fuel

cheers ... Darren

After coming from the original Impreza turbo, I found the Legacy Spec B 3.0 R a bit disappointing. Very compliant ride and more toys than you can shake a stick at, but it just lacked that adrenalin fuelled rush that the Impreza provided. Great cruiser and my office mate loves his (costs him under 300 quid to insure too! :eek:) and picked it over the Jag S-type and Audi A3/A4 because it represented better value for money.

Not driven the S60, but have had a go in the V70 AWD with the D5 engine and thought it was a great car. Lovely seats, smooth gear box and plenty of toys and power. Hopefully the S60 is not quite a wobbly as the V70 once you start pushing on though! :rofl:

Chris

Sounds like quite a selection to choose from mate....can't offer an opinion on the Superb 2.5 V6 TDI but I would argue that the other choices are more than likely a 'newer' in terms of design for money.......

I've not driven the Superb but Shifty's probably not wrong. Personally I thought the OctyII might be the better car because it's newer.

I've thought about a Superb myself and looked at a 55 plate light met blue 2.5 elegance that was at the Blackpool dealers for a while late last year.

No doubt about it, it's a gorgeous car. I would imagine the Volvo is a very good car too. I've driven the V70, it's quite quick and very comfy in there.

The Superb owners describe it as a magic carpet on the motorway. I don't have any reason to not believe that.

The only other thing I would add is that having an auto on a lot of big diesels really seems to sap power. It is the same on the BMW 330 - the auto uses 25% more diesel, and you get quite near petrol BMW fuel consumption so why have the diesel. The manuals are alright, I think I used to get 42 on the motorway and 35 round town in mine, and the VAG 2.5 isn't going to be far off that MPG wise.

I went from a Fabia vRS to the 330d and you will notice the extra consumption, but it's not that bad and the big car feel makes up for it (and the 300lbft)

I have the use sometimes of a Volvo S60 and I own a Superb 130 PS diesel. The Volvo is a good enough car to drive (this one is petrol auto) and it has better performance than the Superb, handles better but burns more than twice as much fuel.

The trouble with the S60 is that it's like a reverse Tardis; there is no space in it - no legroom at all in the back, even by normal standards and a boot with an even smaller entry hole than the Superb's.

If you are interested in fuel economy and therefore have a diesel, an auto box of the conventional type won't do, regardless of make. A diesel produces a very high value of torque at low to midrange revs - just where the torque convertor is at its least efficient and at speeds where it can't be locked. That's why most diesel autos incur about a 25% fuel penalty.

The Volvo depreciates far less though - better marketed.

rotodiesel.

Find someone close who has a Superb or borrow one from a dealer........then try a longish trip ..........I promise you wont want to give it back.....don't just go for the 2.5 try the pd 130 as well you may be very surprised.

Also Superb has more toys than an L&K octavis :)

Stunning car.

Just got one for a friend of mine and it is smart. Not convinced on the auto though as Carolyns 1.9 seems perkier. (and I like manuals). His a 52 plate and the kit levels are excellent. The blue shows the marks though even though it is a nice colour.

Defo test drive one though.

Cheers

Try the Superb and you won't be disappointed. Personally I'd avoid the 2.5 auto too - looked a couple and there seemd to be little difference in performance to the 2.0PD, although there's a bit of opposition to the PD140 2.0 as these can't (as yet) be remapped. This isn't too much of a problem for me as I drive mostly like a Granny! The bloke next door has the S60D5 Auto and he seemed to love it - until he looked at the Superb - more room, more toys, more economy and a lot, lot cheaper. :thumbup:

The Superb v6 derv is twice the car of the Octavia. It's a nicer place to be, it's a nicer var, and you can get more stuff in.

The Superb is much bigger inside, especially in the rear, but at the expense of the boot, the Octavia boot is absolutely massive, whereas the Superb is 'just' big.

Don't forget that the Octavia is also a hatch, which is more practical, and its lighter too so they do more MPG.

That said, i prefer my Superb over my old Octavia

[ Neither brand new but probably ex-demo's or similar.

Dealers charge the proverbial arm and a leg for low mileage demo Superbs. You might want to just check out broker prices for new as these are cheaper than dealer demo's. A 2.5 Elegance TIP was available for around

Watch out for the Superb with the 2.0TDI engine in it, I read a thread on here where someone has had some real issues with the car, the DPF I think in particular.

Worth a read, this person was very concerned about costs of keeping fixing this recurring problem once the warranty expired.

Watch out for the Superb with the 2.0TDI engine in it, I read a thread on here where someone has had some real issues with the car, the DPF I think in particular.

Worth a read, this person was very concerned about costs of keeping fixing this recurring problem once the warranty expired.

Nothing wrong with the 2.0PD engine at all in reality - well, no more that all the other manufacterers using DPF - don't let that put you off!