A Foxy Subject.

Duggie

Ok, so sorry to all of you who looked at this thread expecting something of a different nature but on saturday I hit a rather large fox on the Oxford ring road. I was going at about 65-70MPH and it just ran out in front of me, no time to brake or swerve. Anyway, here's the damage:

The fox went through the bottom grille and cracked the bumper, knocoking the passenger side foglight out of its mount (and under the front wheel). The fox then continued on to push some plastic into the radiator (splitting it in two places) and finally fell out under the engine taking with it the under-car cladding. Before you ask, I didn't get the fox's number or regestration.

Been quoted to get everything fixed for around £500.

I'm not claiming on the insurance because my excess is £500 anyway.

There goes the money for a new headunit.

Balls. Duggie.

I wife hit a badger (A Feckin Big one) going about 75mph and it caused about £900 in damage to my old honda accord, the front was wrecked.............Radiator, bumper, fog light, Grill etc. She was very upset as she's a big animal lover, It took me ages to get it through to her that if she would have swerved she woukd have killed herself and possibly anyone else on the road!! (I hate the A74M) Poor badger thou..........

I put my combi thru 50 metres of hedge last night avoiding a little fluffy bunny ... he jumped out of the hedge and just stood there dazzled.

Didn't have the heart to flatter the little bugger ... looking at the damage this morning I'd like the chance to run thru that little scenario again!

I put my combi thru 50 metres of hedge last night avoiding a little fluffy bunny ... he jumped out of the hedge and just stood there dazzled.

Didn't have the heart to flatter the little bugger ... looking at the damage this morning I'd like the chance to run thru that little scenario again!

You have to watch out for those rabbits.... they never stop or give their details, they live in "the warren", a no-go area for police, unless they expend the resources in ferretting them out.... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's the news, the car went to cotswold accident repairs today so i'm without Felix for a few hours/days. should be around £550. I'll post pics of the fixed car soon!

New radiator, bumper and sound deadning... plus a foglight re-wiring.

Duggie.

Ok, here's the news, the car went to cotswold accident repairs today so i'm without Felix for a few hours/days. should be around £550. I'll post pics of the fixed car soon!

New radiator, bumper and sound deadning... plus a foglight re-wiring.

Duggie.

Sounds about right, I had a similar accident a couple of years ago which came out at about the same price.

It will be a few days, the paint takes time to cure even if they can do the repair work in one day.

Ok, so it came back today, looks the business, the paintjob looks as good as new... i guess that's because it is new... But, in the crash the foglight was ripped out of the bumper and the wire was ripped out of the plug, so down to the bare wires... this means the foglight doesn't work. Does anyone know where I can get hold of a new plug to go into the foglight socket so i can wire it back up? How easy should this be? Any help welcome.

Doug.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a new plug to go into the foglight socket so i can wire it back up? How easy should this be? Any help welcome.Doug.

Doug, as long as the foglight part of the connector is okay, you can either get your local VAG outlet to order a new connector complete with new socket pins and get someone - maybe auto-electric person to do an inline splice after cutting back the knackered plug and wiring, and then fit the new connector and socket pins - maybe even just tidy up the cable ends and fit the new socket pins. If he then recovers the new wiring and inline splice with the correct material your car will be as good as new electrically. Or depending on the condition and length of sound cable still connected to the foglight connector, reuse this connector and if necessary fit in with splices, an additional length of cable - or just reconnect the cable with splices making use you protect this joint from water etc.

Sorry to hear about your "accident" and the cost of sorting it out :eek: but cant help feeling the irony of a car called felix hitting a fox (i know theres a couple of cats called felix but its a bit of a foxy name too)

Good job you hadn't named it Ermintrude, you'd be looking at a write off!:D

I was in scotland earlier this year when a deer ran across the road, it was moving fast enough to miss me but the transit minibus on the other side of the road took it out (i only heard the BANG!)

I stopped to make sure everyone was ok and me and some of these lads found the deer in the verge twitching a little.

One of the leaders of this group then proceeded to chop off the deers head with his swiss army knife!!!

I chose to leave at this point, went back to my tent and had a couple of drinks to try and dull the whole experience.

As for your fog light, sorry haven't a clue.

As an electronics engineer, well it is very simple, though if you have any handyman knowledge it would be simple too,

So just visit a scrapyard and grab a similar plug, just cut it off with plenty spare wire each side

There is a special tool to remove pins out of plugs, though a simple jewellers screwdriver would do the job, you just need to press a small stud in to remove the pin

Or you could just go to an auto electrician and he will do it for you, should not cost too much and save you the fuel driving to a scrappy

In the pub tonight someone offered me eight legs of venison for £100 was that too dear

National