a change regrettably

cathalb

Well after almost a year i have parted company with the Vrs tdi.

I can say that for the majority of the 46K kms that i put on the clock it was enjoyable... but all the goodness was knocked out of with because of the continuous problems with the DPF and its associated sensors.

What I'll Miss....

the torque... passing out became the game it should be. At 80 -> 100 kmph dropping down in to 4th an pulling out felt like being strapped to a cruise missile. I seriously have not felt instant turbo kick in the back since i sat shotgun in an scooby that was tuned within an inch of its bonnet catch. So what if the power band was small... the gearing made up for it.

the fuel economy was astounding for the power you were presented with... even with a very very heavy right foot it would return over 30 Mpg ( sorry can't fathom this L/Kms stuff). If you were crusing at the speed limit on long journeys, it was easy to achieve 50 Mpg... I once managed to get 640 miles out of one tank of Diesel.

What I won't Miss

The sh*gging DPF. At least three mornings a week the journey around the M50 ( from M1 to Ballymount ) would start as normal, and then the rev counter would rise from the idle 800 ish rpm to 1000 rpm, and you could sit there counting the minutes until BING and the DPF light would come on along with the message on the MFD. Admittedly my car was the very first one into the country and the dealers, through no fault of theirs, were dumbfounded by the error codes I was presenting them with. It got to the stage that I would just drive into a dealership and straight into the workshop, grab the 5051/B or 5052 and reset the DPF myself. It was great for the dealers to who were able to claim an hours warranty labour for something they didn't have to touch or know anything about.

When the DPF came on the car felt like it was running on dirty fuel and the ecomony was worse than the petrol TFSI

Anyway, the straw that broke the camels back was having traveled 165 miles at almost constant 80 kms, I stopped at a traffic lights and the dash lit up like a christmas tree. This was full shutdown mode... i was waiting for the MFD to start spitting out message that the "engine will self destruct in 10 minutes ". I managed to limp back to the garage and it was found that the exhaust temperature sensor was faulty ( and may have been faulty for weeks)

Now the straw was not the car going into limp mode, but the fact that the part would take 8 weeks to get as there was no stock in Ireland or Germany.

Having suffered the shame of the courtesy Hyundai Getz ( no more jokes from BPM thankyou ), I was offered a deal by Autostation:thumbup: to move into a spanking Vrs TFSI Combi..:rofl: and i got a deal I couldn't refuse:D

The moral of my story is if you want a Vrs Tdi, get one they're brilliant, but not if you live in Dublin or anywhere else where you are not above crawling speeds every morning and evening.

So i'm back to being a Petrolhead again and have a hearse...:confused:

16731.attach

16732.attach

16733.attach

16734.attach

Pauric,

Yes the DPF is causing problems in Audi's as well. I had a call from SKODA Ireland looking for details on my ongoing problems as they had numerous letters from owners. I have been told there is a new Diesel engine coming out in February which is a new common rail and will not have the problems of the current engine

CB

Ed,

yes a hearse.. but at least mine has all its original parts

cheeky pup. I have all my original parts..admitantly they're not all on the car :P

The two hearses do look really well sitting beside each other. Welcome to the club!

(I think you've had enough slagging over the Getz, I kinda ran out of puns :rofl: )

cheeky pup. I have all my original parts..admitantly they're not all on the car :P

The two hearses do look really well sitting beside each other. Welcome to the club!

(I think you've had enough slagging over the Getz, I kinda ran out of puns :rofl: )

:wrthless:

• 1 month later...