Scratch-x

howlinmad

Scratch X is for removing swirls and scratches, and as such is quite abrasive, and will almost certainly leave very fine scoring in the worked area (look closely!). Personally, I'd use it to restore small damaged areas, light scratches defects etc, then follow up with a more gentle polish (e.g. megs step 2, SRP), to smooth over the fine scoring, before waxing. I wouldn't use it as part of my regular maintenance, or for simply stripping wax, as there are better, less abrasive products out there.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

If using superresin, you would be best using their extra gloss protection afterward which will act as a sealant and last longer then a pure wax.

Regarding scratch-x I honestly do not think is is very abrasive. Neither do I think it's good at removing swirls, only light scratches, at least by hand. The best you can hope for by hand is to mask the swirls. And if you want to mask or fill swirl marks then their is better stuff around, like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze which is designed just to do that. But it washes out after a couple bad days of rain.

As I am desperate to remove my swirls (only recently caused), and am crap with a PC, I am going to try something different. I have just ordered some Glare SpiderWeb swirl remover, and Glare Polish, and reckon it will provide a more long term solution. By all accounts the fillers it leaves behind are inert and don't wash out easily. Plus you only need to use the polish/sealant on top of this once or twice a year. I will use this until I can learn to use a PC properly.

Check the results this guy got. Seems very promising.

Swirl Remover - webBikeWorld

If you are using sonus pads with the PC, then try the sonus SFX-1, 2 and 3 polishes, which will remove swirls and scratches (#3), light swirls (#2) and give a very good finish (#1). The sonus polish doesn't ball up as it dries out, like some other polishes can do, so work better with a machine polisher. Then a hard wax (like Poorboys) will fill any remaining blemishes, and will last for months.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys, urmm on that list;

Wash

Clay

Scratch-x over any scratches

Super resin polish

Wax

what is ment by clay?

kind regards,

Cal

Clay removes polutants, over spray etc which has bonded to the paintwork - basically stuff a normal wash won't remove. Halfords have a Meguires kit on their website. People tend to recommend using it once every 6months-1year.